Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,856,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Okay, OP here.
I just went ahead and sent a reply. Kept it diplomatic, cut-and-pasted what was suggested in the previous post. However, I was a little more barbed. I started thinking about a couple of the false accusations and addressed them directly... cleared those up. Diplomatically, but contested it.
Hotels from now on doesn't sound like a bad idea in the future.
Don't let one lemon deter you for using airbnb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,054,130 times
You turned the heat to 76 degrees and then left it there for 9 days - all night long and all day long when you weren't there? If yes, then I'd be mad at you too. That's unreasonable. Did you leave your heat on at home at 76 degrees while you were staying in Cleveland?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 4,953,364 times
I tend to prefer hotels, where there are staff around to take care of issues when they arise. I have stayed in house rentals with groups of people and a couple of times it was just our family. When something is really cheap, there is usually a reason! Be prepared to be... ahem... "flexible" when renting places like this.

I've looked on Airbnb a few times, but the places I was interested in were certainly not cheap at all, especially once all of the taxes and fees were added in. If one is traveling solo and doesn't mind crashing on random futons and such I can imagine it's quite cost effective. If I were 20 years old.... maybe, but I wouldn't do it today.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 PM

10,026 posts, read 17,944,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You turned the heat to 76 degrees and then left it there for 9 days - all night long and all day long when you weren't there? If yes, then I'd be mad at you too. That's unreasonable. Did you leave your heat on at home at 76 degrees while you were staying in Cleveland?
OP, I was kind of thinking this ^^^ too. 76 degrees? I don't know ANYONE who keeps their heat that high (and as another poster pointed out, when it's 50 degrees when you get there, turning the thermostat to 76 is NOT going to warm it up any faster -- it will just make the heat stay on longer until it reaches that number).

So DID you keep it at 76 day/night for the entire time (even when you weren't there)? And do you know what kind of heat he had? If it's electric, then the $270 you paid him will likely ALL go to his electric bill -- and that might not even cover it! So I hope it's not electric heat!

I DO understand your being upset about his nasty review (without him even TALKING to you first) -- I don't think you deserved that -- but honestly, I was pretty horrified when I saw that you put the thermostat on 76!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,022,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I was kind of thinking this ^^^ too. 76 degrees? I don't know ANYONE who keeps their heat that high (and as another poster pointed out, when it's 50 degrees when you get there, turning the thermostat to 76 is NOT going to warm it up any faster -- it will just make the heat stay on longer until it reaches that number).

So DID you keep it at 76 day/night for the entire time (even when you weren't there)? And do you know what kind of heat he had? If it's electric, then the $270 you paid him will likely ALL go to his electric bill -- and that might not even cover it! So I hope it's not electric heat!

I DO understand your being upset about his nasty review (without him even TALKING to you first) -- I don't think you deserved that -- but honestly, I was pretty horrified when I saw that you put the thermostat on 76!
The owner said he bumped it back down to 70, and I got the impression the OP was grateful b/c she had forgotten.

Never mind. I just saw it was the next-to-last day it got turned down to 70.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

13,259 posts, read 22,692,629 times
Thermostat temperature does not always equal room temperature. I had a job a while back where 'my' senior citizens were sharing space with other programs and had to win the thermostat war when my minion did a week of charting how when the thermostat was set to 72F, it was barely 65F in much of the space my frail old people had, and that was not good for their health.

And there are times when we set and forget our well insulated house to 76F. (It's Florida; when you acclimate to summer temperatures here, you often lose tolerance for the cold) Which puts it somewhere around 73F in the high ceiling living room. Since we're on a heat pump for heat, letting the temperature float much is at beast a wash and at worst is a huge energy increase if the floating of temperatures causes the emergency heating strips to kick in.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM

597 posts, read 599,457 times
76 is extremely high for heat and a waste of electricity and money.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 4,953,364 times
Good grief. If the set temperature is THAT IMPORTANT, the owner absolutely needs to have written instructions posted by the thermostat, and also communicated before there's an agreement to rent.

Some people like it warm, and others like it cool. Also, comfort is not as simple as just setting the thermostat. A room that is drafty and has poor windows will feel colder than a room without those problems, even if those two rooms have the same set temperature.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,302,856 times
I would provide a rebuttal to his bad review. Don't let him get the entire upper hand in this. The guy sounds like a jerk. I've never done Air B&B before but will be more leery of it now.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,302,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I seriously don't understand why people choose air bnb over hotels unless you have a big group or want a place with a private pool.
I never even use uber, either. I use NYC cabs.
I don't want to be judged. I just want to pay and be done.
Hotels don't care about the temp you choose or how many hot showers you take.
Oh God, yes. Same here. I don't want to be judged and don't care for any "feedback" on me as a customer. Their opinion of me is irrelevant. If I've paid for the service, then we're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel