Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Travel to southern Africa needn't be terribly expensive. Here's a rundown of some typical costs for this August.

Obviously the private lodges can whack a modest budget easily; however the experience is really second to none; a couple of nights at a good lodge in a good private reserve is worth every bleedin' penny.
You got that right, both final comments. But I ask: is this the time pinch pennies? How often does a Westerner go to South(ern) Africa? For me, it is "darn seldom" as high pay comes with extreme pressure for high perhformance and only (at current) three weeks of paid vacation/year. Had to hit my 40s to really do this, frankly.

Canyon Village Lodge, Namibia, with some chummies couple years ago. Astounding place, in and of itself. Fish River Canyon was only about 15 miles away, second largest canyon system in the world and vastly more remote than Arizona's Grand Canyon (though not quite as picturesque).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:34 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
How is Namibia compared to south Africa and mozambique? Traveling in June to see family member in mozambique. Going to start from Middle east and fare less than us 300 to windhoek. Also going to south Africa but worried about safety.
Nambia itself can be absolutely stunning, but IMO Windhoek isn't good for much more than a place to arrive and arrange stuff. There are a lot of dodgy characters around, and even in the day aggressive panhandling to where some physically grab your arms as you're passing to slow you down and ask for money or even try to take something like a bag of groceries. I wasn't a fan.

Once you get out of Windhoek though so much good times in Namibia, lots of great campgrounds, and they've got those folks who speak by clicking. Woot.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

Obviously the private lodges can whack a modest budget easily; however the experience is really second to none; a couple of nights at a good lodge in a good private reserve is worth every bleedin' penny.
Yeah, we did the Tanzanian parks independent, unguided, in a rental car with rented tents. Which was very affordable on our backpack budeget. But each evening after campfire supper, we went to the lodge and treated ourselves from the dessert cart.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(Chuckle): I'm a somewhat (cough) fat guy (cough cough). Can't "deal with it"! Actually, just signed up to what I call the "fat farm" to reduce about 50 lbs, my own cross to bear. Good luck, truly (with the flight)

PS: I sometimes forget expensive is subjective.
I'll manage on a flight. I always do. And with any luck maybe I'll be lighter by then.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
This is a bit off topic, but this thread had me looking up YouTube videos on safaris.

I'm considering a trip to South Africa in Feb 2019; specifically Seychelles and Cape Town. I didn't have a safari on the list actually. Thank you to those who mentioned Namibia...it does indeed look amazing.

Anywho..I just wanted to say that for those who are interested in Africa and haven't been before and are considering...you may or may not want to visit Kruger National Park's YouTube channel. After viewing some of their videos now I am literally scared out of my mind of considering going there now

Old 02-21-2018, 01:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Anywho..I just wanted to say that for those who are interested in Africa and haven't been before and are considering...you may or may not want to visit Kruger National Park's YouTube channel. After viewing some of their videos now I am literally scared out of my mind of considering going there now
Now I'm curious: what in those videos scared you so badly?

I'm trying to plan a trip to southern Africa for 2019 and would like to see both Botswana and Namibia, but may not have time to do both, which is very frustrating. So much to see, so little vacation time! I wish I could take 4-6 weeks off from work for this trip, but unfortunately that's not possible.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:45 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
We plan on visiting in 2020 or 21. Which country have the best records on preservation & anti poachers?

Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Its been a while, but I do remember a wonderful week we spent in Mombassa, Kenya- its a beach town and I still dream of the fresh spiny lobsters that fishermen caught right out off the beach and sold to us, still kicking, so delicious.

It is more quiet relaxation, which might be a nice oasis of time in your sight seeing adventures.

I have heard wonderful things about Cape Town, its featured on an Anthony Bourdain special: here is some info on that (and which might be relevant to your vacay plans ..):

Anthony Bourdain goes to South Africa – Africa is a Country

Old 02-21-2018, 06:47 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Hello fellow travelers. In the next year or two (hopefully not more than three!) I'm looking at traveling to Africa. I have two destinations I've narrowed down.

One is a two week trip to Kenya. It will have more camping but some lodge accommodation. It includes visits to the Maasai Mara, Samburu, Amboseli, Lake Nakuru, and Tsavo East and West. Hopefully I can also squeeze in a visit to Nairobi National Park as well.

The other is a two week trip to Southern Africa. This one includes Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Highlights are Etosha National Park, Swakopmund, the Kalahari, the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park, and Victoria Falls. This one is more lodge accommodation than camping.

Prices are close to the same with Kenya being a bit more expensive but not by much. If you have visited any place chime in, I'm definitely interested in your opinion. If you haven't been to either, I'm still curious what your opinion is.

Thanks in advance.
I would choose 2.

We did Tanzania + Kenya in 2016 and covered all that you listed in Kenya except Tsavo. We also did Ngorongoro, which was great. If you are going to Masai, time it during the migration. It is a sight to behold.

Having said that Botswana and Namibia are stunning. I have that in my bucket list. You can see the Big 5 in South Africa. The falls is the icing on the cake. That tour is more exciting than Kenya, especially if the cost is the same.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Thanks for all your advice and opinions. It's very much appreciated. I've decided I'm going to try to go to Kenya this time around as I can get the best deals. Rest assured Southern Africa is still on the radar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel