Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM

554 posts, read 1,065,769 times

Advertisements

Just made my first trip on Allegiant, or any budget carrier for that matter, and I must say it was a very positive experience.

My family and I wanted to travel from San Antonio to Columbus Ohio on vacation. Unfortunately the cost of tickets from San Antonio were about $450 per person, round trip. That was the case even on Southwest, who I have found isn't a budget carrier at all. However, Allegiant flies out of Austin which is only about an hour and a half drive away, and the airfare was only $150 round trip.

As a retired military veteran I was surprised to find out they offer great perks for vets. Everyone on my intenerary, which was myself, my wife and 2 grandsons were allowed 3 free checked bags, a free carry on bag, and no charge for overweight bags. There were also other perks such as free seat assignments, and even the ability to take a pet in the cabin for free. I am not sure if any other carriers offer a deal as good or better, especially for vets. In my experience most military perks are only for active duty members, and their dependents. The fact that Allegiant extends these perks to not only retired Service members, and anyone on their itinerary whether they are their dependents or not, is incredible!

As for the flight itself, it was not bad at all. I took the middle seat as it was my youngest grandson's first airplane flight, and I wanted him to be by the window. Since my wife usually has to go to the restroom often, I gave her the aisle seat. I stand 6 feet tall. I had sufficient legroom in the middle seat. All the Allegiant employees were very friendly and helpful. The flight did leave about 25 minutes late, but it was no big deal.

One drawback with Allegiant, which did not affect this trip, is that Allegiant has a very limited number of flights, so if a flight is cancelled you can be stranded for days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:14 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
One drawback with Allegiant, which did not affect this trip, is that Allegiant has a very limited number of flights, so if a flight is cancelled you can be stranded for days.
That's been the knock I've heard on them.. No massive complaints about their customer service.. Just.. If the flight doesn't run.. You're stuck. Not only until the next flight, but possibly longer if that flight is booked.

That, and of course.. The fact that you have to travel when they fly. Looks like Austin to Columbus is only run on Mondays and Fridays. If you have the flexibility.. Good deal. If you want to go Wednesday to Sunday.. Not so much.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
My sister uses them regularly for short trips. They don't fly into/out of my airport.

She understands they are budget and adjusts her expectations accordingly.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My sister uses them regularly for short trips. They don't fly into/out of my airport.

She understands they are budget and adjusts her expectations accordingly.
Yep, this.

As long as you understand you are flying on a budget carrier, they are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel