Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I've seen negative reviews online for hotels where the Wifi is slow. Come on.
I've written reviews online for hotels where the wifi is slow. Of course, 75% of my travel is for work, and having fast wifi is crucial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Could anybody tolerate a vacation from their phone or internet? How long could you go without being connected?

A couple years ago I took the Black Sea ferry from Odessa to Batumi, three days and nights, and I never heard a ring tone. No connections at all. People had to try to remember how to talk to each other. I think larger cruise lines have connections, but this was just a Ro-ro truck ferry, less than 100 passengers.

If you wanted to be in a place for a few days where there are actually other people and services (meals, bed, etc.) but no connections, what options are there?
Its a wonderful experience in my honest opinion. SPent some time in the Amazon rainforest in Guyana. No phone service at all and no internet. Yes computers were around and folks had satellite internet, but no ground based service. Life reminded me of the 90s as a kid.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I do have a smartphone (and an old phone too, it's actually older than a flip phone) but anyway, I bought the smartphone for the google map feature. I have never texted on it and I've used the phone for 4 calls since last Oct when I bought it. One of the calls was from my carrier wondering if the phone was working because I hadn't used it. They are almost a necessity these days I will admit. But I'm old and grumpy and I still don't like them.
I keep up with family through text. It’s easier than email, more private than FB, and I’m very connected to my grand niblings more than I ever could have been to my niblings. Niblings is the generic term for nieces and nephews.

I also thought I’d never text, and now it’s so convenient.

My husband has rheumatoid arthritis, and thickened fingers, and would not be able to use the phone keyboard, and voice recognition isn’t that great. He refuses to text, and refuses to get a smart phone. I’ve tried to get him to use my phone a little, but it really frustrates him. The technology isn’t for everyone.

By the way? I find google maps so annoying, I still use paper maps. 😁

Old 03-14-2018, 07:13 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've written reviews online for hotels where the wifi is slow. Of course, 75% of my travel is for work, and having fast wifi is crucial.
I've checked out of hotels after 15 minutes when my cell phone had lousy coverage and the WiFi was down. With business travel, I'm crippled without good internet connectivity.

If I'm out of the country on vacation, I still need connectivity. My mom has dementia and I manage her affairs. I at least need to get voice mail and personal email. It's also far easier to navigate public transportation in an unfamiliar city with Google.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
I am also a big fan of airline apps- like the redundancy of both paper and electronic boarding passes, really appreciate the push notifications when the departure point for your connection flight has moved two concourses and 30 gates from where it was originally scheduled, can also use it to see just where the airline theoretically has my luggage, and it can show you if you've been auto-rebooked in the event of IRROPS....

Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Why shouldn't I have my phone with me?

I have the Iphone 8 plus and it is just like having a small tablet with me without having to carry around a small tablet.

I can move money around, watch movies and tv shows on the plane, open up maps, make restaurant reservations, etc.

I don't need my phone at all but it sure makes my life easier.

I was flying to Asheville a year or so ago and we got diverted to Kentucky. Before we even landed I was able to hotwire a hotel room that had a shuttle and was off the plane and on the shuttle on the way to the hotel before everyone else on the plane got to the gate for a hotel voucher.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
I don't use my phone much at home--it's usually turned off--but I love it while travelling. You know, when I'm away from my landline. And pet dinosaur.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
I've seen negative reviews online for hotels where the Wifi is slow. Come on.
I don't see what is unusual about this, it's just another hotel service that is expected to function like hot water. If I was going to stay somewhere and had it narrowed down to three similar options, but one in the reviews said the wifi sucked I'd probably go with another.

It doesn't mean I can't live without my smart phone, it just means the other hotels have better services and it's a nice thing to know before booking.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Another very useful phone app- the US Customs & Border patrol mobile passport app can save you significant time waiting in line returning to the USA from abroad at some airports. Why stand in line in the bowels of JFK for an extra 30 minutes or more because of a desire for technological purity?

Old 03-15-2018, 10:34 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,043 times
^^^ Don't fly through JFK.

Been on African Safari's many times.

Take the IPad, to skype with hubs. Turn phone off the whole time as vast areas have no cell services. Friends know when I'm gone so they aren't calling to run my bill up. Hubs knows where I am. The game reserves. most will have wifi.

Go days without using my cell phone. So no addiction here. Cell phone for special people, rarely give out that number. I live my life and I don't want to take calls. Lucky to have that kind of life and not be hooked in 24/7. Call home or office, leave message.

I can go weeks without social media and miss nothing. But I didn't grow up with a cell phone. Do like it when traveling (where there is service) but I usually book stuff and research before arriving.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 03-15-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel