Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:06 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

GPS and Google maps are inaccurate in my area, so I keep a local map book in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 PM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Or a road atlas? I always do, because I love maps and could never switch to using GPS, except for urban driving. I love to make unplanned detours on the spur of the moment when driving on vacation, and using a map gives me a good overview of the areas around the road I'll be driving along.

Yes. I'm 40 and we have a map in the car and a first aid kit. I use GPS all the time, but there are many times that it could fail, and then you may need a map. We also teach our kids to use a multi-page road atlas.

We use a national road atlas. The last time I want to be stuck without a map is during some national emergency when the satellites or cloud servers are not working!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:07 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've got one in my car, but I haven't touched it in probably 7 or 8 years (other than moving it from one car to another when I bought a new car), and it's probably horribly outdated.
This

Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM

75 posts, read 50,045 times
Quote:
Or a road atlas? I always do, because I love maps and could never switch to using GPS, except for urban driving. I love to make unplanned detours on the spur of the moment when driving on vacation, and using a map gives me a good overview of the areas around the road I'll be driving along.
I use maps, and an atlas, and I have found places all over the country using them. A GPS is nice, and some people need them, because they can't find directions otherwise. And that is OK, but I learned St Pete using maps, and now I can map it in my mind. I generally do when I move to new places. I moved here about 10 years ago, and I had the county mapped out in my mind in pretty short order.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I still have an atlas.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:10 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I have maps in my car. Helped when I was without a GPS.

My friends laugh at the way I read maps. I flip it and turn it in so many directions. I always have to figure out if I an to turn left or right...and depending on which direction I am traveling...it makes all the difference! I cannot tell north from East! I have to do the ole....okay which way is the sunsetting...or rising. I'm a landmark traveler....heaven help us if the Millers farm goes out of business I won't know how to tell folks to take a hard right past the Miller farm .

Old 03-23-2018, 02:10 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
I love maps. Just love them. Google Earth and I are joined at the hip.

My friend just asked me what I wanted next Christmas so she could start a list and I told her - new maps! My old ones got torn and were way out of date, so I had to toss them.

I also have a road atlas from 2012 and I like to look at that a lot, too.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:20 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Motor View Post
I use maps, and an atlas, and I have found places all over the country using them. A GPS is nice, and some people need them, because they can't find directions otherwise. And that is OK, but I learned St Pete using maps, and now I can map it in my mind. I generally do when I move to new places. I moved here about 10 years ago, and I had the county mapped out in my mind in pretty short order.
That's the first thing I do when I move someplace new. When I was back in Minnesota, I used to drive all over just to set a giant map in my head. My mom would get furious and tell me to stick to the roads I knew because I was going to get lost. I was trying to tell her I wasn't really lost - I always knew where I was generally, but sometimes I was just unfamiliar with how to get someplace. Lost just means looking over significant territory.

My cousin who was 50 at the time and still lived in the same neighborhood she grew up in, used to tell me she only knew one way to get to her work and back and that she stuck to the main roads. Why do people do that? Aren't they the least bit curious about the areas around them?

Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
Yes, but we have used a couple of map apps on our phone. They're handy for verbal directions, but i like to preview a route on paper and see alternate routes.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:59 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I LOVE paper maps!!! If I were to go on a lengthy road trip, I do have a laminated folding map of the US. Otherwise, the routes I travel are very familiar to me so I don't always have a map in my car. I still don't have a GPS unit or a smartphone.

If I need to go to an unfamiliar location, I will use google maps on my computer and draw myself a map of where I am going. I will take that scrap of paper with me, but usually by drawing the route, I have it memorized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel