Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:50 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Spring Break snuck up on me and now I only have a week to plan a trip. It will just be me (I'm the mom) and my 2 kids, 11 and 12 years old. We live in the Midwest and would like to go somewhere a bit warmer. We don't have current passports.

We like:
swimming
animals
nature (but aren't hikers/kayakers/thrill seekers)

Don't like:
huge crowds
camping

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 11:57 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Since budget wasn't specified, will assume that is relatively open.

To avoid crowds, to some extent, go off the beaten path. Research fast. If you only have a week, might suggest Carolina Coast. I'd go to one of the last minute travel sites. I'm not shilling for them, nor am I likely allowed to post their URLs, but there are a few. I've used several, sometimes they can be deals. I've taken personal (twice that I recall) and business (half-dozen) trips on three day's notice via some of those sites. It worked out OK. Only problem, and it's minor, is not getting TSA Pre: I do believe, though cannot confirm, they need a bit more notice for ticketing sometimes (always?). Oh well.

You may wish to invoke a travel agent for a package to cover all. I used an agent to do this when moving a group to India from Vancouver and Seattle to India (Chennai, specifically) back in 2008. It was worth the modest premium they charged. I did compare/contrast on her costs vs. DIY and was worth it. Consider...

I just returned from Chicago, to my home in Seattle metro, and snow is moving in(!) five days into Spring. "A lot", at this writing, plus it was 23F in the morning (though dry) a few days I was there last week. Welcome to the Midwest, where I lived my first c. 19 years but will never live again. But you do live there...point being, flee all that for Carolina or Gulf Coast (I think Pensacola Beach is rather fun, but I'd check on "tourist season"), possibly SW FL as well, though both those latter areas are more about sitting around with old people vs. actually doing anything.

Good luck, those are some close-ish options. West Coast is a bit far for you, unless you can get a direct flight from Chicago or similar to a place like LA or San Diego, though that does not sound like exactly what you want. It's still cold in the PacNW else I'd recommend Portland.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
What's your budget/is money a big factor? Without a passport, and taking into account your family's likes and dislikes, you could always go to Hawaii (Oahu probably wouldn't be the best idea if you don't like big crowds, but one of the other islands would work), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc. But such a trip would likely cost and arm and a leg (again, I don't know your budget, though).

If you're looking for something more manageable for most people in a financial sense, you could always visit New Orleans. Yes, parts of the city will have huge crowds/tourists, but I think it would still be a worthwhile place to see.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Price isn't a make or break...but it does subtract from our summer travel budget.

We will likely go to the Pacific North West this summer, its my home area.

I guess I just want to make sure we have fun and rest.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Are you planning to drive? How far would you be willing to drive?

I can't tell where you live - "midwest" is a HUGE part of the US.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
The sunshine is finally back in California as of this afternoon. Sunshine expected every day in the 10 day forecast. If you are on the coast, you might get some partly cloudy days, but no rain.

Monterey is nice. Not really crowded. Great aquarium, nice beaches that aren't really crowded (water is cold for swimming, though). Wouldn't be super warm, but still nice. Southern CA would be warmer, but more crowded at the beaches.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:25 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
DC? Go to the National Zoo? Some of the schools in that area have spring break this week. I'm not sure how warm it is up there though. I know where you are and DC should be warmer than there.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:50 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
If you want to guarantee warm weather, swimming, and snorkeling, Key West.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:04 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
How about down in the Ozarks - you could drive there. Old fashioned train rides, beautiful country with hiking, lakes, etc Branson for an evening or 2 of shows. Not far or expensive. Otherwise fly to Savannah GA.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:40 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Austin/San Antonio/Big Bend/El Paso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel