Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,017,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
What are your summer travel (May 1st - Sept 3rd) plans?
Denvaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 12:06 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,822,260 times
Most years, not too exciting. This July a few days in NYC followed by a week in Lisbon.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:13 PM

128,738 posts, read 11,907,195 times
Just day trips for us. I had considered visiting Utahs big 5 this Spring, but as I have been procrastinating on the booking, I will leave it to the winter or next year. I don't like to leave home, for too long, over the summer, due to our pets & the risk of wild fires.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:14 PM

10,859 posts, read 7,278,325 times
I'm going to Minnesota for a few months, then heading South for the winter. After that, we plan to wander. An RV is a possibility, with maybe a little couch-surfing with friends and relatives.

We've been living in Hawaii for 12 years. You can't do a road trip here (6 hours of driving takes you around the whole island and back where you started), and just getting to the mainland is a pricey hassle, so we haven't done much travelling. Yeah, I'm sure you're all weeping for the poor girl stuck in Hawaii. But I want more variety and less humidity.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,176,251 times
Headed to NE Wyoming to see The Devil's Tower, and then over to Custer State park in South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore, Jewel cave, Wind Cave, and if I can squeeze it in Badlands National Park the last week of July and into August. This is my 40th birthday trip.

Also we may go down to Kodachrome in Utah, and poke around that area.

Other than that just camping near home. Maybe make a run or two into Yellowstone and try and catch a glimpse of the wolves.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,009,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's busy in July because inland where the people live, it's summer school vacation and it's 95F and 95% humidity.

October water temperature at Myrtle Beach is still mid-70's. That's 10 degrees warmer than August in Maine where the French Canadians spend all day swimming in Speedos. LA, where you have the Beach Boys and the most recognized beach/surfing scene in the country, the water temperature rarely gets out of the 60's.

I didn't realize 75F was winter parka and a wool hat & gloves weather.
yeah me either I like those temps to go swimming in and visiting places when the weather is like that .

Old 03-28-2018, 04:20 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,687,451 times
In late May we will fly from Copenhagen to Edinbrough and then head up to the Highlands, West of Inverness, where we will take a 2-day hike through the Highlands to the Isle of Skye, before coming home. A few weeks after that we are off to Paris for 10 days. Then in late August, we'll fly from Copenhagen to Seattle (via London) to visit family, followed by four days after tha, reaxing and hiking in the Willowa Mountains of Eastern OR, and then on to the Columbia River Gorge area for a few more days. We fly to NYC from Portland and spend a week in the city and a few days in Piermont, up the Hudson, and then home to Copenhagen.

This is the nice part of retirement. We have had a miserable Winter.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 PM

811 posts, read 1,383,303 times
In June, a long motorcycling weekend with friends to Letchworth State Park and surrounding areas in NY.

In August, my husband and I are going to North Dakota, basing ourselves in Minot and planning lots of exploring. My goal in life is to step foot in all 50 states. After this ND trip, I will have only Oregon and Hawaii to go!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,964,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Headed to NE Wyoming to see The Devil's Tower, and then over to Custer State park in South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore, Jewel cave, Wind Cave, and if I can squeeze it in Badlands National Park the last week of July and into August. This is my 40th birthday trip.

Other than that just camping near home. Maybe make a run or two into Yellowstone and try and catch a glimpse of the wolves.
You will absolutely love that trip. Hubby and I did 28 days in that area and Wyoming, 9 of those were spent in Yellowstone. Loved it so much, we are thinking of doing Yellowstone and Jackson again in a few years.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,655 posts, read 57,744,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post

Don't miss steak dinner at Hill City, SD Hotel. And be sure to drive Needles Highway / wild Donkeys. On a HOT day you will enjoy the Wind Caves.

If heading across the Big Horns... Take 14a! And Beartooth highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel