Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times

Advertisements

So, I just got back from a long trip. And I can think of a few things that annoy me about traveling: cramped airline seats, awful plane food, etc..

What are some of the that annoy you about traveling??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Cranky travelers.

That may sound like a flippant response, but very honestly, the vast majority of my travel annoyances come from how uptight and b**chy other people can be. I don't love the cramped seats, but I'm used to them. I don't care for the food, but I can plan ahead and figure out something that I would prefer. Weather and maintenance delays are frustrating, but I'm grateful for arriving at my destination safely.

But when I hear a passenger berating a TSA agent or gate agent for simply doing their job, I have an overwhelming urge to throat punch them.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
It's no one's fault, but I get really annoyed when the weather disappoints on a vacation. I don't expect perfect or unusually ideal weather, but I expect that if you allow more than 4 days or so for a destination, that you will generally get to experience it in roughly average weather for that place and time.

A couple of examples that really got under my skin. Visited London one year in May, and allowed 6 nights to get a good experience there and to hopefully have several days of nice weather comfortable for walking around and exploring the city by foot. Instead, it rained almost non-stop for all 6 days to the point that it really ruined the experience. Spent 8 days in Norway last June (one of their driest months on average) and was expecting a reasonable mix of clouds, sun and rain. Instead, it was perpetually gray, rained for several hours every single day, and we seriously only had about 6 hours of sunshine and blue skies over the course of 8 days. Again, it's Norway and not Hawaii so I was not expecting 8 days of 80 degree weather and blue skies, but that was a big annoyance.

Again, it's no one's fault, but it's just something that really annoys me, as I love travel photography and exploring the outdoors, and unexpectedly bad weather truly dampens the entire experience.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Hotels that have a late check-in time and still don't have the room ready on time. It is annoying waiting until almost dinner time to get into the room, by then day one of the vacation is almost shot. I know you can check your bags and still go out and do things but it's always nice to get settled in as soon as possible, or at least that's what I prefer.

Ditto on the bad weather post. I realize that no one can control the weather, but a vacation costs just the same whether you can get out and do things or not. Even if there is no precipitation, it still affects your enjoyment if it is unseasonably hot or cold. Walking around Chicago in mid-April when it is 37 degrees with a stiff wind off of the lake does not feel good at all.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:45 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Cranky & rude passengers are a big annoyance to me. I truly dislike so many rude people. I was on one tour, & an older man kept complaining that the hotel ( in Italy) did not supply a box of kleenex. Heck, just go buy a box & stop complaining.

Also complaining about the breakfast foods, because it was not all American sugary junk, no waffles etc, just make yourself a decent breakfast from what is provided & go about your day, local foods are of course different than what you get at home, that should be part of the joy of travel, not something to whine about.

Poor weather can be a disappointment, but not an annoyance to me. As it is beyond control. Poor manners can be controlled.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:33 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Good grumps up above!

In addition to some of the similar ones stated above, is the obnoxious selfie takers that are 100% oblivious to what is going on around them.. UGH!

Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Good grumps up above!

In addition to some of the similar ones stated above, is the obnoxious selfie takers that are 100% oblivious to what is going on around them.. UGH!
And the ones yapping incessantly on those same phones, also 100% oblivious and obnoxious.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Good grumps up above!

These are the same people who think they are entitled and should not have to wait in line or be inconvenienced in any way because THEY are on vacation and the rest of us are apparently there just for no particular reason and should get out of their way.

We were at the New England Aquarium in Boston once when our kids were younger and there was one guy who could have won the obnoxious parent of the year award in all categories. At every exhibit he would say loudly to his young daughter, "Get up there in front so you can see, So-FIA, g'on, get up there, those other kids won't care", and then precious little So-FIA would elbow her way to the front of the line while Dad smiled on approvingly. That was back in 2007, today So-FIA would be a teenager and no doubt a spoiled, bratty one with a selfie stick, lol.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Cranky travelers.

That may sound like a flippant response, but very honestly, the vast majority of my travel annoyances come from how uptight and b**chy other people can be. I don't love the cramped seats, but I'm used to them. I don't care for the food, but I can plan ahead and figure out something that I would prefer. Weather and maintenance delays are frustrating, but I'm grateful for arriving at my destination safely.

But when I hear a passenger berating a TSA agent or gate agent for simply doing their job, I have an overwhelming urge to throat punch them.

Yes! This. Airline travel is stressful for a lot of reasons, but being b**chy makes it worse for everyone. People should remember their manners. lol

Old 04-06-2018, 04:00 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Good posts, above!

Some of the things that annoy me when traveling:

-smelly passengers (this was a big problem when I was flying to India when more than a few people smelled of foul, unwashed underarms and curry . . . I wish I was kidding!)
-sitting in front of a very tall person on an airplane, which limits how much I can recline my seat
-bad local cuisine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel