Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 AM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times

Advertisements

I have never sat in an airplane seat that reclined enough to make a difference in my comfort. Therefore, I do not recline, because it may make a difference in the comfort of the person behind me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,418,740 times
Reclining debate and issues are only going to get worse as the airlines continue to squeeze an extra 1/4 inch here and there to put in an additional 3 seats for more revenue......

Given the fact the seats are getting slimmer width and legroom wise, I think seats should not be adjustable anymore.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When reclining you're invading the other person's space behind. And if they have a tray out for any reason it jams that tray into their stomach.
Recline in front of me and I will bang on my tray or knee your seat back the whole trip. I didn't pay for you to use my space. Be courteous and not self centered when invading other passengers area and you'll have the respect of your neighbor.
That sounds like an issue you ought to take up with the airlines. Or maybe just pay for first class. Or, if you want to go the super cheapskate route, fly Spirit, where the seats are locked in place.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 AM

16,459 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Quote:
When reclining you're invading the other person's space behind. And if they have a tray out for any reason it jams that tray into their stomach.
Recline in front of me and I will bang on my tray or knee your seat back the whole trip. I didn't pay for you to use my space. Be courteous and not self centered when invading other passengers area and you'll have the respect of your neighbor.
You are granted the use of your seat, in whatever configuration it can be configured to, subject to the instructions of the flight crew. If your seat reclines, you are allowed to recline it. And so is the person in front of you.

Quote:
Recline in front of me and I will bang on my tray or knee your seat back the whole trip.
What are you, five years old or something?

Old 04-13-2018, 08:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
This is one of the most hotly-debated topics on the FlyerTalk message board, which is the online place for frequent flyers. People who fly frequently and post there have strong, heated opinions in both camps. If the people who spend large portions of their lives doing air travel can't agree, there really is no best answer to the question.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
If you did that to me I'd call a flight attendant over and I would not put my seat up until THEY told me I had to for landing.

I didn't pay for the person behind me to tell me how I could use MY space.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,359,338 times
Quote:
Recline in front of me and I will bang on my tray or knee your seat back the whole trip.
"Pilot has requested a Supervisor and Law Enforcement to meet the incoming plane, aggressive Passenger has been banging on his tray and kicking a seat..."

In the climate we are now having in this world--please do not do this. It will not end well. Obviously you cannot complain to the Flight Attendant because in reality that person has a right to recline their seat.

If you must--sit in the bulkhead seats--there will be no one in front of you.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:30 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,985,822 times
I don't recline the seat even when in first class. It actually bothers my back and neck if I recline the seat. When in coach if the person in front of me wants to recline their seat that is fine with me. However if my knees pressing against the back of their seat bothers them, too bad. I will not sit contorted just so they can recline their seat. They are more than welcome to purchase a first class seat.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You are granted the use of your seat, in whatever configuration it can be configured to, subject to the instructions of the flight crew. If your seat reclines, you are allowed to recline it. And so is the person in front of you.

What are you, five years old or something?
^^ This. I do recline my seat and don't feel bad about it either. I also expect the person in front of me to do the same. If someone kicked my seat because I reclined it, we'd have an issue...a big issue and it would be dealt with accordingly.

I recently flew Delta...holy moly are their seats tiny..never again will I stray from JetBlue.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM

59 posts, read 59,892 times
As a retired airline employee, whenever I fly, I'm flying "space available non-revenue".
I'm assigned a seat in the cabin that's left over after all of the revenue passengers have had their seats assigned. Sometimes, such as this morning on a flight from TPA to EWR (with sufficient empty seats remaining), I get a seat assigned & get to board fairly early in the process & am able to get an overhead bin space for my carry-on. Other times, I don't get a seat until just before the door closes.
However, it seems more often than not, I'm assigned a seat in a row just ahead of an emergency exit, which means no recline. Recline is locked out, otherwise a reclined seat back would block the emergency exit in back of the seat.
Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel