Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

Except for one episode on the metro in Rome, I've never had a problem in the tourist spots of Rome, Florence, Milan or Venice. I never used a money belt but my daughter had a wallet/pouch that she wore around her neck when she went to school in Italy and travelled around the country. I avoided crowds as much as possible and was always aware of my surroundings. Some places will be crowded. The Trevi Fountain will be crowded with four or five people deep so be extra careful. There are hordes of people trying to get to the Sistine Chapel so that is another place to be extra careful. Watch the Italians because they sometimes seem to know if there is a "Gypsy" working the crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
You're over panicking (by quite a considerable way!).

Leave the majority of cards and cash in your room safe and go out with what you need for the day. Dont flash cash. If you are going to walk around with more money then normal put small money in one pocket and large money in a different one, so when you pull it out they only see small money. Literally no use for a money belt unless you're planning on walking around with thousands of euros.

I do recall one amusing story about signs up saying "beware of pickpockets" That was the pickpockets favourite spot to pick up people, because on seeing the sign, people would automatically pat whichever pocket held their wallet, helping them identify where it was!
Remember, though, in most countries, you need to be in possession of identity documents when out in public. Not like the USA. Since you have to carry your passport with you wherever you go, you might as well get a money belt to secure it.

I doubt that I have ever slept in a hotel that had "a hotel safe", nor that I would trust anybody with it. When I say trust, I mean there is probably nobody at the front desk that would have any idea how to open it and get my stuff out. Asking about a "room safe" would just get a puzzled look.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:34 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
We just carry color paper copies of our passport main page folded up, and have photos on phone of the visa stamp if any. I wouldn't risk carrying my passport around.

Have had a few issues, like in China they need the original passports to book train tickets. Really sucked the first time we waited in that hell line for an hour with so many people cutting only to get to the front and find out the copies weren't going to be enough.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
I was robbed in Venice. I also know lots of others who had the same experience. My advice? Don't even go. I'm content to watch travel videos if I want to see Italy. There are many other beautiful and safe places in Europe to travel to.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 PM

6,412 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I was surrounded by a bunch of young girls in Rome. You can't hit them and there are too many to walk away. Fortunately an Italian man chased them away. Take precautions since these people have been doing this for many decades.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:26 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
My advice? Don't even go. I'm content to watch travel videos if I want to see Italy.
This is pathetic. Seriously. Millions and millions of tourists roll through Italy, and a very small percentage have issues with theft. Your solution? Sit at home and watch videos of it instead.

Jesus Christ, how about watch Star Wars videos instead that is really cool stuff.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
We were just in Italy and didn’t have any issues with pickpockets however we were smart about placing our money and using rfid blockers for our credit cards and passports. You can order cheap ones on amazon if you don’t have them and they work great. Just be smart and it will be fine!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:59 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times
leegary1982, it is good to be cautious and wary but there is no need to be afraid. I spent two weeks there last summer (CDF, //www.city-data.com/forum/europ...aduz-steg.html), mostly in Italy but also Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Slovenia. Main cities we stayed were Roma, Firenze, Varenna, and Venezia. We (wife and I) had no problem at all.

I’ve traveled internationally to about 30 countries over the years and have never been pickpocketed or had anything stolen. (My countries visited list is actually posted over on the Expedition Portal forum, last updated here, https://www.expeditionportal.com/for...3#post-2326024). Be aware and alert, keep track of your possessions, when sitting at a cafe don’t put your bag hanging on the back of your chair but instead have it between your feet in front of you, with the strap over your leg, take precautions like that. I keep reminding my wife about that, even where we live, and we live in a safe city.

These tips aren’t only for foreign travel, they are for all the time, everywhere. Develop and hone your habits now, before you go. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, and there are desperate people everywhere — don’t tempt anyone, anywhere, by needlessly giving anyone an easy opportunity to steal your items. Don’t be an easy target. Let someone else be the easy target so that any would-be thief would choose that other person, and not you.

I used credit cards almost exclusively (a travel card, no exchange fees). I did not need or use any RFIDs on my trip. Or ever. Have a backup card in your suitcase.

Always always! carry your passport on you. Scan a copy before you go, and put printed copies in a couple of strategic places. Also, email a copy to yourself so if needed you can log into your email and show it (or otherwise have an e-copy accessible on the internet). Have an e-copy on your smart phone, tablet, laptop, or any electronic device you bring.

eric johns’s tip about cargo pants (and cargo shorts) is great. Many pockets button down (I don’t like the noisy velcro ones). I wore these almost all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Mr. Gary I hope your trip to Italy is a fun and remembering time

A wonderful place.......
And Bambo is right! It is a wonderful place, have a great trip!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leegary1982 View Post
Hello all. I am going to be Visiting Roma, Italia next month. I have been doing research on how bad the pickpocketing is in The tourist areas Like Roma,Firenze,Venezia,Napoli and it scares me! I am very apprehensive now. I brought a money belt and I don't want to have anything in my pockets at all. Why give them a reason to even try to steal from me? Why doesn't the Italian govt do something about all these thieves? I hear so many stories of ppl getting robbed, pick pocketed in Rome. And advice like don't act like a tourist or stand out. But how is that possible? I am a tourist Lol And I am black American. I will stand out period no matter what I do.
I'm sure the government tries, but it's probably like killing roaches, more crop up in their place. Most people probably don't even realize it's happened to them till they go to reach for their money to pay a dinner bill, so it seems that would make catching them quite difficult. This is actually an area organized crime has gotten involved with. I read that Russian mobsters bring over to Rome pretty Russian girls and train them how to be pickpockets, then send them out into the streets, like pimps do with prostitutes.

I was speaking with a woman who owns a gourmet shop in my town and travels to Italy for foods and olive oils. She said the first time she went, she was very aware of the pickpockets and held her hands firmly over her belongings and was on high alert for it. Then the train she was on hit a bump or something and her hands came up for a second, and in that split second someone managed to swipe her money. I can't remember where she kept it, only that she tried to prepare for this very thing and was shocked at how quickly it happens.

It seems like a money belt under pants would be the way to go, just be careful when you have to pull it out. And keep extra money and cards in the hotel safe just in case. And don't talk to any pretty girls, lol.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-14-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post

eric johns’s tip about cargo pants (and cargo shorts) is great. Many pockets button down (I don’t like the noisy velcro ones). I wore these almost all the time.

And Bambo is right! It is a wonderful place, have a great trip!
I understand what folks are saying about cargo pants' security but I say, unless you are a 20-something "dude" who just doesn't care you will stick out like a sore thumb as an American tourist in goofy clothes. Same as wearing casual baggy shorts/ t shirt/ flip-flops etc... in the city.

Yanks, & Aussies & some "package holiday" Brits, stick out painfully in many places as adults wearing "teenage" appropriate clothes way too casual for stopping in a nice Roman hotel bar or resto etc... & this is very obvious on the street to scammers, you're not in the USA. As well as to servers in businesses who may not be pleased that you are coming in dressed like you are heading to a construction site & your treatment may be affected by what is deemed disrespectful, or ignorant, attitude on your part. If all you will be doing is stopping at fast food/ very casual tourist targeted places then...

As a point of reference I wear jeans/t shirts/shorts/sandals almost exclusively in my real life at home so this isn't some sort of fuddy-duddy preference. But Romans are generally pretty sharply dressed, as are Parisians, & splitting the difference by wearing neat pants with buttoned pockets or clothes with zippered/hidden pockets is a good compromise to not sticking out as a tourist/target.

Similar advice to many Asian destinations away from the beaches too really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel