Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,813,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is pathetic. Seriously. Millions and millions of tourists roll through Italy, and a very small percentage have issues with theft. Your solution? Sit at home and watch videos of it instead.

Jesus Christ, how about watch Star Wars videos instead that is really cool stuff.
Yesh, I mean we had our house broken into when we lived in Tennessee, so no one should ever go to Tennessee on vacation. Just stay home and watch country music videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 09:31 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,946,322 times
When in Rome, do as the Romans. That is, when traveling in Italy, dress like the Italians. Don't look like a tourist and you will already be less of a target.

It's been a while since I was in Italy, but at the time the biggest problem was the gypsies. They run in gangs and work the tourist spots. One will run up to someone with a purse, reach in to pull everything out and throw it in the air. The rest will then quickly scramble to grab everything and run.

A stunt that worked on a friend of mine at the Milan train station ticket line-up was a small child playing a little flute. While we both looked at the child, someone grabbed his backpack. It vanished in seconds. They target someone, hatch a plan, and pull off a theft in the blink of an eye.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,608,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I was surrounded by a bunch of young girls in Rome. You can't hit them and there are too many to walk away. Fortunately an Italian man chased them away. Take precautions since these people have been doing this for many decades.
This happened to me too.
I was wearing a cross-body purse with 3 zippers to get to my money. They only got the first one undone.
After 5 minutes of circling me and shouting at me and invading my space with a fake baby in their arms and a large piece of board to position between me, my purse, and them, I decided to fight back to get them to back off.
Yes, meek me got physical. I pushed the one shouting right in my face in front of me, pushed her hard.
It worked. They ran off and gave up.
They attacked us immediately after we had left a street ATM.
As for passports, in Italy many hotels hold them and will not give them back to you until you check out, standard practice there.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:48 AM

3,210 posts, read 2,422,117 times
The only time we ever had an issue in Italy was in Rome. A well dressed "gentleman" stopped a car and asked for directions. He knew we were tourists and it was a ruse we fell for. He claimed to be this merchant of Italian purses and just returned from the US and would we like to purchase at a discount these purses which were used for show only. Well we fell for it, but fortunately we also bargained and got two purses for less than he wanted telling him it was all the cash we had on hand. Turns out the purses were made in China. Live and learn. All the scenarios that everyone tells you about Italy are the same things that happen in NYC, LA, Chicago. Just don't be unaware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

ETA: I never travel alone so I have never had these gypsies try and surround me. I would not be afraid to yell thief/polizia and push them away.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:21 AM

50,682 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
The only time we ever had an issue in Italy was in Rome. A well dressed "gentleman" stopped a car and asked for directions. He knew we were tourists and it was a ruse we fell for. He claimed to be this merchant of Italian purses and just returned from the US and would we like to purchase at a discount these purses which were used for show only. Well we fell for it, but fortunately we also bargained and got two purses for less than he wanted telling him it was all the cash we had on hand. Turns out the purses were made in China. Live and learn. All the scenarios that everyone tells you about Italy are the same things that happen in NYC, LA, Chicago. Just don't be unaware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

ETA: I never travel alone so I have never had these gypsies try and surround me. I would not be afraid to yell thief/polizia and push them away.
I agree with reference to the scams, and there may be more of other type crimes here, but the pickpocket problem is worse by far in Europe and Spain than any U.S. city by far.

https://www.escapehere.com/inspirati...ckpocketing/5/

Old 04-14-2018, 02:15 PM

3,210 posts, read 2,422,117 times
Yes, it is a problem in Spain, especially Barcelona. I suggest you sit at an outside cafe and watch. After a while you will know them and can spot them anywhere. Took me about 5 mins to spot them and watch the police spot them as well. Those guys going by on bikes in tight shorts and t-shirts and looking good are not locals or tourists. They are police ready to grab these thieves. Walking in the market areas where it is crowded keep a tight hand on your purse. Watch out for the pretty girls taking surveys...they are thieves. Take a look at this site and the photos https://thesavvybackpacker.com/pickpockets-europe/ so that when this happens to you before they can take anything you hang onto your belongings. Do not leave anything on the back of your chair, on the table, or on the ground. I don't like backpacks either, but if you have to don't keep anything of worth in them.

The thing is, be aware, secure your belongings properly and you won't be a victim.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:11 PM

50,682 posts, read 36,379,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Yes, it is a problem in Spain, especially Barcelona. I suggest you sit at an outside cafe and watch. After a while you will know them and can spot them anywhere. Took me about 5 mins to spot them and watch the police spot them as well. Those guys going by on bikes in tight shorts and t-shirts and looking good are not locals or tourists. They are police ready to grab these thieves. Walking in the market areas where it is crowded keep a tight hand on your purse. Watch out for the pretty girls taking surveys...they are thieves. Take a look at this site and the photos https://thesavvybackpacker.com/pickpockets-europe/ so that when this happens to you before they can take anything you hang onto your belongings. Do not leave anything on the back of your chair, on the table, or on the ground. I don't like backpacks either, but if you have to don't keep anything of worth in them.

The thing is, be aware, secure your belongings properly and you won't be a victim.

That was a good article. I was surprised to read they will actually pay for admission for the popular (and crowded) museums in order to get close to targets! I was kidding when I told OP not to talk to pretty girls, but apparently that was good advice, lol.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:27 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,435,896 times
Tried and tied. We put our cash in our shoes or boots. Short of them knocking us over,a kick in the face sends the message. Sure the money smells funny but it's still accepted.
And no your not over reacting. Got knocked down an escalator by some hoodlums. They nabbed my shoulder purse .it was filled with snacks no money or ID. I seriously want to do a dye pack burst ...just to watch them explaining how they got that on them.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,353,035 times
Dont forget the razor slash of your purse by one while another takes the contents....

Good times:
Place a cheap wallet in an outside pocket with newspaper cut like $ ..place real small bills on the outside if you want...
in between the "bills"..spread Marmite, or peanut butter that has bits of glass chards in it.
Just wiping it off will give them irritating little cuts on their finger tips.

Mix the Marmite with dry Rit Dye...extra fun.
Google Marmite or Vegemite for those that need to.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:14 PM

625 posts, read 902,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leegary1982 View Post
Hello all. I am going to be Visiting Roma, Italia next month. I have been doing research on how bad the pickpocketing is in The tourist areas Like Roma,Firenze,Venezia,Napoli and it scares me! I am very apprehensive now. I brought a money belt and I don't want to have anything in my pockets at all. Why give them a reason to even try to steal from me? Why doesn't the Italian govt do something about all these thieves? I hear so many stories of ppl getting robbed, pick pocketed in Rome. And advice like don't act like a tourist or stand out. But how is that possible? I am a tourist Lol And I am black American. I will stand out period no matter what I do.
Thieves are everywhere in the world. I was in France last year and saw the pick pockets moving around with scarves over their shoulders during the summer. I even saw one pick a Chinese woman purse at the La Galleria De Lafeyette. (Not surprised because she a sling purse hanging down pass her hip which flips open...no zipper )

I was in Rome & Venice last month and didn't see any. (Although I was told that they are prevalent on the train) You just have to careful. Use common sense and secure your valuables. You'll be there during the tourist season, people will know you're a tourist especially in Venice (where they are flooded with cruise ships all day). Just make sure you go on the correct line for the water taxi lol. Like you, I'm black and felt comfortable. Relax and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel