Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 07:46 PM

55 posts, read 63,945 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am going to be Visiting Roma, Italia next month. I have been doing research on how bad the pickpocketing is in The tourist areas Like Roma,Firenze,Venezia,Napoli and it scares me! I am very apprehensive now. I brought a money belt and I don't want to have anything in my pockets at all. Why give them a reason to even try to steal from me? Why doesn't the Italian govt do something about all these thieves? I hear so many stories of ppl getting robbed, pick pocketed in Rome. And advice like don't act like a tourist or stand out. But how is that possible? I am a tourist Lol And I am black American. I will stand out period no matter what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 08:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Stand out all you like! What does it matter, as long as you’re not an easy target?

You do need to keep some money accessible, because you NEVER access your money belt in public. The whole point of wearing it is to keep it (and the contents it holds) unseen. So keep your cash for the day in a place where it’s accessible but a bit tough to get at for a thief (such as a zippered purse worn cross-body, or an inner jacket pocket) and keep your reserve cash in your money belt (and your passport in the money belt or in the hotel safe). Be aware of your surroundings, and don’t permit people to crowd you. This will generally keep you safe from pickpockets, but if you do get victimized, you won’t lose much. And look on the bright side: pickpockets are a nuisance, but they rely on distraction and stealth, not violence. Here in the good old USA, you may never meet a pickpocket, but you could very well cross paths with a mugger, and that’s a lot more dangerous.

Have fun in Rome! It’s a wonderful city.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:22 PM

55 posts, read 63,945 times
Thanks for the well thought out comment.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I traveled to Mexico way back when federales used to scare tourists, in 1975. I had made a leather pouch that fit into my jeans pocket, but fit really snugly. It was hard for me to get in and out of my pants pocket. I did this deliberately, thinking it would be too hard for a pickpocket to get to.

Wrong! I can remember being on a subway type train in Mexico city, and a group of young men started giving me and my boyfriend a hard time. I remember being pinched in the rear, and being really glad my boyfriend didn't speak Spanish so he didn't realize what they were saying. They just appeared really jovial, like just a group of friends who were out having a good time and had maybe had a bit to drink.

So, we get off at our stop, and eventually I realize my wallet was gone. I never felt them remove my wallet.

It was an enormous pain to get a replacement visa. Fortunately, they didn't get much cash. That was back in the day of traveler's checks. I didn't have a passport, just a visa was all that was required. But, what a pain. And the police couldn't do anything. And the people at the office to get a replacement visa kept blowing us off for about a week. We think they wanted bribes, but we didn't have a clue what we were supposed to do.

After a week of having our trip delayed and spending too much money stuck in Mexico City, and it was a Friday, and the rep at the visa office again told us we'd have to come back on Monday - and I just lost it. I was 19 years old and just started crying hysterically. Next thing you know, some top boss came out and ushered us into an office and he had some secretary type me up a new visa.

I don't know where you could put anything so a pickpocket couldn't get it. You'll have to research that. But, don't trust a wallet that is difficult to remove from a pocket. And if you face a situation like I did, I highly recommend crying hysterically to get results.

Have fun on your trip. I'm jealous. I'd love to see Italy. Pickpockets or no.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:56 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
When I travel, I live in my moneybelt. I sleep with it on. When I take a shower, I have it hanging where I can see it.

I leave home carrying all the money I will need for the trip, $100 bills in my moneybelt. And an ATM card or two, for emergency, but I rarely used them.

With a moneybelt, no need to worry about pickpockets.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 AM

764 posts, read 94,784 times
Cargo pants are the best invention ever for travel...maybe not stylish, but you can hide a lot of things, or at least make them less accessible to thieves.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 AM

911 posts, read 262,565 times
Mr. Gary I hope your trip to Italy is a fun and remembering time

A wonderful place.......

Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 AM

638 posts, read 594,556 times
You're over panicking (by quite a considerable way!).

Leave the majority of cards and cash in your room safe and go out with what you need for the day. Dont flash cash. If you are going to walk around with more money then normal put small money in one pocket and large money in a different one, so when you pull it out they only see small money. Literally no use for a money belt unless you're planning on walking around with thousands of euros.

I do recall one amusing story about signs up saying "beware of pickpockets" That was the pickpockets favourite spot to pick up people, because on seeing the sign, people would automatically pat whichever pocket held their wallet, helping them identify where it was!

Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegary1982 View Post
Hello all. I am going to be Visiting Roma, Italia next month. I have been doing research on how bad the pickpocketing is in The tourist areas Like Roma,Firenze,Venezia,Napoli and it scares me! I am very apprehensive now. I brought a money belt and I don't want to have anything in my pockets at all. Why give them a reason to even try to steal from me? Why doesn't the Italian govt do something about all these thieves? I hear so many stories of ppl getting robbed, pick pocketed in Rome. And advice like don't act like a tourist or stand out. But how is that possible? I am a tourist Lol And I am black American. I will stand out period no matter what I do.
I have a zippered concealed picket sewn in for my Passport. I keep a photo copy of all my I.D. in another place, always separate my I.D. (I have my drivers' license, seniors I.D., birth certificate, and backup I.D. like Olympic issued, old expired Passport, etc. in another location) Ihave paper copies in every luggage piece.

Split your credit cards and cash in the same manner.

In the event of theft or pickpocket in Europe I'm well positioned to replace my I. d. and/or lower the drama. I also intend to never travel alone. And watch you're drinking, especially in hot climates on an empty stomach. These predators are watching as well. It's just a culture that been around for hundreds of years.

My concealed pocket in on the opposite side of where my right hand would go to retrieve documents. Pickpockets watch to see if you're right or left handed, as an example.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:03 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,895 times
Daughter, having finished university and twenty-two years old, set off firstly to work in Canada, then London UK and then spent about eight months travelling home to Australia, via Europe Turkey China Laos. She flew home from Bangkok. She lost her passport, money and most everything else in Spain, had a camera stolen in Laos, misplaced various other things. She mostly travelled alone. What she learnt from this experience is that the problems could be solved, the credit cards and the passport replaced, nothing was as bad as it initially appeared.

Actually she finds her current life of juggling a full time job with bringing up two kids under seven to be a lot more challenging.

We fell for a minor scam in Rome. Google the topic and it will be helpful. If you are a tourist you will look like a tourist. Relax and enjoy the experience as much as possible and if something does go wrong it is almost always fixable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel