Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure fuzzy is a good description but they definitely weren't any type of lightweight travel slipper, they were a bit bulky. I travel pretty light with a 44 liter backpack that is 19 x 13, it can always go carry-on on. I also have the disadvantage of wife's travel yoga mat in my bag, that's about 2 precious vertical inches folded to fit across entire top.

Slippers were a mistake I won't repeat, thinking of picking up a pair of those socks with grip sole bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
44 liter is pretty small and well within the size for carry-on.

The pack for my last trip is 19 x 14 x 8, so a little more than carry on size had it been fully loaded, which it wasn't. How do you convert that to liters? I see from a review it is 3600 cu in, expandable to 4500 cu in.

The trip before that I squeezed the essentials into a 30 liter pack but I also carried an insulated grocery bag that held almost as much as the pack.

Last edited by creeksitter; 05-29-2018 at 05:55 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Convertible travel pants on member of gringo tour group at Panama Canal, with bonus of vented travel shirt. May 2018. I think with this specimen we have a case where the shorts components were used/washed more often than the pant legs, which has led to uneven coloring.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM

1,353 posts, read 787,827 times
The rule of thumb is: "put all your belongings in the bag, then take 50% out, and close the zip. You are ready to go!"

Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Rule of thumb: "Make your preparations and then take half the amount of clothing and twice the amount of money". Never failed me yet.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:15 AM

For reducing weight we aim for liquids, all those little bottles and tubes add up. We've had flights where they charge for carry-ons over a certain weight (or make you check it) and often times you can ditch then replace lots of heavy liquid stuff for less than a $25 overweight fee. Getting rid of liquids and wearing my hoodie with the computer charging brick jammed in the pocket can go a long ways towards making weight.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Since this thread is for international travel we have some questions and I apologize for not reading the whole thread which is full of excellent advice.

We will have two checked bags each. The last time we traveled and departed from a U.S. city they told us to take off the tiny locks. Is that still the way it's done so they can inspect the contents of each bag? If so then for all 3 legs of the trip the bags will not be locked. We gladly let them check all bags as thorough as they like. We do care about how they treat our stuff.

I think I remember not being able to take any liquid past the first check point if it was in your carry on bags. Nothing. Even a soda or water. We offered to drink it so they'd know it was not a liquid explosive but that did not work. A full bottle of Coke in the trash can and buy another expensive one once inside.

One trip our shampoo bottle broke and shampoo was a mess inside the bag. After that we used a heavy duty bottle like a Gatorade bottle and that helped on one trip. On another we wanted to carry the bottle in our carry on bag to make sure the bottle did not get crushed and that was not allowed. Down it went into the trash can.

Do they still require all laptops to be turned on? We are planning to take a couple new ones as gifts so they will still be in the original package. If the batteries are not charged fully they may not turn on.

We are also taking two new cell phones which are GSM so they work when we arrive and leaving our CDMA phones in the car at the departing airport.

Weight allowance on carry on bags for international flights?

We are not up to date on any new rules say in the last 18 months.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
One trip our shampoo bottle broke and shampoo was a mess inside the bag. After that we used a heavy duty bottle like a Gatorade bottle and that helped on one trip. On another we wanted to carry the bottle in our carry on bag to make sure the bottle did not get crushed and that was not allowed. Down it went into the trash can.
Get a small travel size shampoo (or several), and put it in a clear plastic ziploc bag with your other liquids. If you're staying in hotels they usually have shampoo anyway, do you need it?

Quote:
Do they still require all laptops to be turned on? We are planning to take a couple new ones as gifts so they will still be in the original package. If the batteries are not charged fully they may not turn on.
No. CBP does have sometimes want devices turned on but it's usually for incoming passengers and it's extremely rare. What you need to be careful with them being in original package is tariffs on intl travel at destination, if it looks like it isn't your personal item it could be subject to import taxes. I'd strongly suggest against bringing something in that looks like a resellable product, just take it out of the original packaging and you're fine.

Quote:
Weight allowance on carry on bags for international flights?
For checked bags it's heavy. Depends on your airline but usually for US major intl carriers the limit is more than avg bag.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Convertible travel pants along with travel hat. I've noticed a correlation among people who are willing to wear travel pants and don other designated travel attire like this hat. Neck protection!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
We will have two checked bags each. The last time we traveled and departed from a U.S. city they told us to take off the tiny locks. Is that still the way it's done so they can inspect the contents of each bag?
No. They have ways to open and close the locks themselves. I've never been told to unlock them myself.
Quote:
I think I remember not being able to take any liquid past the first check point if it was in your carry on bags. Nothing. Even a soda or water. We offered to drink it so they'd know it was not a liquid explosive
How would your drinking it prove to them that it's not explosive? Maybe you'll pretend to drink it and spit it out later. Maybe it's some type of explosive that will remain inert in your body until later use.
Quote:
but that did not work. A full bottle of Coke in the trash can and buy another expensive one once inside.
that's life.
Quote:
One trip our shampoo bottle broke and shampoo was a mess inside the bag.
Put it inside a plastic bag first.
Quote:
Do they still require all laptops to be turned on?
No. I've never been asked to turn on a laptop. The only time I've ever been molested for my laptop is by stupid Canadian immigration who wanted me to turn it on and let them inspect the contents. I told them I could not do that because it's a work laptop that contains business-sensitive information and access to all the business's systems. They said ok and quit trying on that tack.
Quote:
We are not up to date on any new rules say in the last 18 months.
Sounds like you're not up to date on rules for the past several years. Everything you've mentioned is contrary to any experience I've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel