Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times

Advertisements

I travel mostly in countries where there is no problem finding a $15-20 hotel, so no point paying nearly that much for a dorm bed. Most Ive been in are in former Soviet republics, where I found then in the range from excellent to good enough. In Chisinau, Tbilisi and Bishkek, I bonded with my hostel like a home away from home. In Darwin, apparently not exactly on the backpacker circuit, I was the only guest so they just upgraded me to a private room, in what appeared to be the only hostel in Northern Territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 07:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Lots of hostels have private rooms for couples these days, sometimes private rooms with private bathrooms as well. For whatever reason the hostel private rooms often cost same (or more) than rooms in nearby guest houses that are bigger/nicer, so we rarely use them.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
We can recommend Road Scholar. We like to learn as much as we can about the places we go since we will probably not visit them again, especially for international destinations, where the time and aggravation of getting there makes it necessary to maximize the experience. We realized the value of the learning/travel experience when we were discussing with friends a destination we had all visited. We went with Road Scholar and they went on their own. We knew so much more about the place than they did, and we had far richer experiences. Many individual travelers do the research beforehand, but many more just go somewhere and check it off the list and plan another trip.

What we also do is try to spend a few days before or after each trip visiting a favorite place on our own, like stopping off in New England on the way home from the Azores, or staying in a few days in Dublin after visiting Budapest and Prague. It breaks up the travel time.

We have a travel budget comparable to yours. We take three major trips a year, and then fill in with shorter road trips. We also like Mexico.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:05 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post

What we also do is try to spend a few days before or after each trip visiting a favorite place on our own, like stopping off in New England on the way home from the Azores, or staying in a few days in Dublin after visiting Budapest and Prague. It breaks up the travel time.
Trying to add the extra stop to your air ticket can significantly increase the cost.

An option is to buy the cheapest possible ticket across the ocean, then a separate flight with the stopver as long as you want. Or branch out into two separate trips from your gateway. I once flew supercheap to Bangkok, with two separate onward tickets -- one to Colombo and one to Darwin. The total added up to be less than any direct fare I could find just to anywhere in Australia. With Sri Lanka thrown in free, plus time for a a rail trip to Cambodia.

I did the same with a RTW for slightly over $1,000, by piecing together three one-way tickets to Manila (with a side trip to Brunei), Dubai (with a side trip to Addis Ababa) and back home.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I piece my international trips, (Often very cheap 'promotional' legs to fill planes). Find the most reasonable departure point and compare RT from my usual port.

then use SWA within in USA (generally), as schedule changes, companion traveler, and bags are free.

Being SWA A list preferred gets you free standby / changes within the day on same routing (handy for Intl snafus. ).

Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
(Please excuse if I repeat something... I didn't read all 7 previous pages, just #1.)

I'm similar to you in age & dissimilar in that I've traveled a fair bit & spend much less than $23K on it. I think you could be happy on spending less as well judging from your modest habits, although at this point in life I have evolved from a young hostel/BnB/1 Star hotel type vagabond to a 3 Star/nice AirBnB & a very occasional 4Star resorter.

First off there is a reason for all those articles about: Paris/London/Rome/New York/Hong Kong/Tokyo... they are all worth a visit! I would recommend spring/fall for them for less crowds & cheaper prices, I always travel off season. For a single guy I would recommend places that would allow potential easy socializing:Spain's Mediterranean, Ireland (pubs), Thailand (esp. Chiang Mai, possibly Pattaya), Bali (Ubud area) Or find a tour with a focus on something you like somewhere.

"In the past I've always spent my money on cars." Look into going to Havana: cars, beaches, good food. 2 places I really like that most Americans aren't aware of is Portugal & the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I piece my international trips, (Often very cheap 'promotional' legs to fill planes). Find the most reasonable departure point and compare RT from my usual port.

then use SWA within in USA (generally), as schedule changes, companion traveler, and bags are free.

Being SWA A list preferred gets you free standby / changes within the day on same routing (handy for Intl snafus. ).

Today I learned that stealth rabbits are my spirit animal. I am the same. My international trips consist of an envelope of one way ticket print outs.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Buy a smart phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel