Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM

154 posts, read 196,278 times

Advertisements

My daughter wants play with snow for her birthday .where can go in USA in summer (August) to see snow 😊. I live in Houston Texas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 02:27 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Not many places in the lower 48, but Mt. Ranier comes to mind, as does Glacier NP.

If you really want to score, go to Banff and Jasper NPs in Alberta, Canada. The highway in between is called the Icefields Highway. They're icefields and glaciers, but isn't that close enough.

Note too that global warming has taken a real toll on summer snowfields. I haven't been to these parks in over a decade, so things may have changed.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:02 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
nisw, how about celebrating her birthday in the winter. Then you can be assured that she will actually be able to play in snow.

Otherwise, going to Glacier NP or Mt. Ranier, you'll just be able to view snow from a distance. There are a few high elevation places in Colorado where you might find snow to actually touch in June, but August will be much too late.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:38 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Timberline Lodge in mt hood Oregon

Old 04-21-2018, 07:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Otherwise, going to Glacier NP or Mt. Ranier, you'll just be able to view snow from a distance. There are a few high elevation places in Colorado where you might find snow to actually touch in June, but August will be much too late.
This is not true. I've walked in snow in both parks in summer. It is not everywhere, of course, and it depends on the year.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:30 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Pike's Peak, Colorado.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Pike's Peak, Colorado.
Pikes Peak is pretty awesome, but it's usually snow free by early July.

Honestly it's pretty rare for any of the easily-accessible high peaks in Colorado to hold snow into August. If the OP is willing to come up in June then they could drive up Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, or Trail Ridge Road and see snow.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 04-21-2018 at 08:22 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 08:48 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Yellowstone has been known to have snow in the middle of the summer, but as with most of the places that have been mentioned, it's pretty iffy. You wouldn't want to plan a vacation looking for snow at that time of the year unless you were prepared to be disappointed.

No one has mentioned Alaska. I don't know if there are places in Alaska where there's snow in the summer. Why not celebrate her birthday in the winter. Your problem would be solved and you'd have a ton of places to choose from.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
My daughter wants play with snow for her birthday .where can go in USA in summer (August) to see snow ��. I live in Houston Texas .
Montana or Idaho could be your best bets. I remember snow falling in Great Falls and Helena Montana on August 22nd, 1992. This may have been caused by ash from a volcanic eruption in the Philippines the previous year holding temperatures down. The same happened in the year or so after the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption. '81 and '82 were two of the coldest winters on record across the country.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:31 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yellowstone has been known to have snow in the middle of the summer, but as with most of the places that have been mentioned, it's pretty iffy. You wouldn't want to plan a vacation looking for snow at that time of the year unless you were prepared to be disappointed.

No one has mentioned Alaska. I don't know if there are places in Alaska where there's snow in the summer. Why not celebrate her birthday in the winter. Your problem would be solved and you'd have a ton of places to choose from.
About the only "snow" you're likely to find in the northern hemisphere in August is more like glacier ice -- hard, packed snow. You can run on it but not play in it. I've spent quite a bit of time in the mountains of Wyoming, Montana, Canada and Alaska and have encountered snow in August, but I can't recall ever seeing much of it. Late September is a different story, but even that would take some luck -- as in it may be fairly normal but certainly not guaranteed.

I've gotta recommend the same as many already have -- make your daughter's birthday present be a trip north for Christmas. Maybe rent a room at a ski lodge for a couple days. If she's old enough (5-6+) she could even take a couple ski lessons. (As could you, if you're in good physical condition.)

Big name ski resorts are not necessary for this. They're more expensive, but unless you're wanting long and/or steep ski runs or a great party town, the smaller and less expensive "family" ski mountains will offer all you need. These are scattered all over the Rocky Mountain West.

If you're flying, Denver would be an ideal airline destination, then rent a car and drive west to the mountains. Salt Lake would be similar, or Rapid City, Billings, etc., etc. for quieter destinations.

My (2) kids both have July birthdays. I recall one year when both wanted to go water skiing for their birthdays, but it was cold, cold, cold on both days. My daughter decided, since she couldn't go water skiing, to have a camp-out in the back yard with her friends. By 10 p.m. they were all inside for the night, wet and shivering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel