Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:33 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
$500 is a lot of money for a small error like that but my sympathy is also finite. This is because privileged American travelers don't understand how things work because they've never had to walk in the shoes of a third worlder who has been humiliated, berated, yelled at, swabbed, patted down, legally robbed, interrogated, etc. So they get surprised during the rare instances they are treated the same way, or even 10% like it.
That being said, this is particularly stupid if the apple was American in origin, which it most likely was. Moronic customs agent.
How does the customs agent know that the apple was American in orgin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
It's been several years since I've flown internationally but I do remember filling out customs forms and seeing signs regarding agriculture, it was very clear. Some people think it's not important but it actually is very important. Even in the USA there are some states in the west where you aren't supposed to bring produce across state borders.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Cant help but think, reading this story, how many times I have unpacked from a flight and found some of those cookies, breakfast bars, or even peanut bags in my purse or carryon that I had just tossed in there when handed, and never ate.

Serving fresh fruit like that on international flights really is not necessary....especially if it is some kind of "stashable" fruit. No one would put grapes or strawberries in their purse/carry on absentmindedly.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:42 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Delta should just give this woman a $500 check instead of letting this turn into a PR disaster! Sounds like the fruit was distributed after the customs forms were distributed and completed. (I read another article on another website). .
"Customs form" in most airports now are done electronically upon arrival. No paperwork. Much simpler. Still the long lines however.
I have some open tea that I left in China last weekend so as to avoid any hassles, particularly since it looked like a particularly common smokable weed.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
I think the custom agent was holding a grudge or she did something to upset that agent. They usually won't fine you for an apple.

I did forget to throw away a banana one time and the agent just let me throw it away.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
what is nice is there are a handful of countries where you are cleared by us customers before getting on the flight .

we just experienced this coming back from bermuda . us customs were in bermuda .

we got to terminal 2 in jfk and no further custom checks . by the time you land you are done.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance

Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM

130,256 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what is nice is there are a handful of countries where you are cleared by us customers before getting on the flight .

we just experienced this coming back from bermuda . us customs were in bermuda .

we got to terminal 2 in jfk and no further custom checks . by the time you land you are done.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance
Shannon airport in Ireland, also has a pre boarding clearance with American officials.

Many years ago I flew into San Francisco, I had a banana in my carry on, & while I was at the baggage carousel, waiting my my checked bags, the dog found me, & I had forgotten about the banana, I apologized & they just took the banana. I think the fine is ridiculous.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
If the airlines handed out the fruit....then it certainly should have been ok to take it to the next flight. This 500 grab is ludicrous....and the airline who gave her the fruit should pay it. And, quit handing out anything that is banned from boarding inspections.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I'm of mixed minds. Lots of blame to go around.

CBP officer is being a major butthole and exercising zero discretion or flexibility, but that's in his realm of options.

Delta, in my mind has minimal blame, as the apple was given out on the aircraft as a snack. The assumption would be that you eat it on the aircraft. They aren't your mom, they don't do a packed lunch for you and a goodie bag when you get off the plane. You get it on the plane, you eat it there.

The traveler, blame there too, especially as global entry, she should have known better. Have we all done it? Likely, but with things like fresh produce, you definitely should know that it's no good. Even if you are travel lagged.

I think a warning would have been the best choice, but the fine was certainly within the options available for the Officer.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
$500 is a lot of money for a small error like that but my sympathy is also finite. This is because privileged American travelers don't understand how things work because they've never had to walk in the shoes of a third worlder who has been humiliated, berated, yelled at, swabbed, patted down, legally robbed, interrogated, etc. So they get surprised during the rare instances they are treated the same way, or even 10% like it.
That being said, this is particularly stupid if the apple was American in origin, which it most likely was. Moronic customs agent.
You know whats even worse?? Getting treated worse by another third worlder themselves who think they are superior to you ( especially in the middle eastern airports).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel