Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:27 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
As a global entry, she was using the automated passport control, with no human interaction. There is a question starting with "Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants...." to which she answered no. And, there are only 4 questions in all, if I remember it right.

PS: It also advises you of penalty of felony and $10,000 fine.
It seems to me that Global Entry might be the problem here. When I have traveled international, I always talked to a customs agent, and could explain things like fruits I was carrying. If you are using a kiosk, how are you going to explain anything? Add to that, that if she does this a lot, she probably just started answering the question "no", just so she could get cleared through. I'm not sure that this is a good program to sign up for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 05:32 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
yes. once the airplane enters the airspace of another country or land in another country, legally it left the USA and under the jurisdiction of that country already.
If it was in a sealed, Washington state origin package then it's not a contamination, nor has it every "left" the USA as the airin it is US air!!

hUMOR aside, her "crime" appears to be when she answered "NO" to whether she had fruit on her person. Sad. I stood at the US border and ATE my Wash. state apricots, a bag full. Paid the price later, In Canada!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,859 times
Quote:
I am less sympathetic as she is a frequent traveler on global entry (I am too) and should know better.
This woman is a resident here in the metro Denver area... this was her first time traveling on her newly acquired Global Entry status... at least that is what has been reported locally.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It seems to me that Global Entry might be the problem here. When I have traveled international, I always talked to a customs agent, and could explain things like fruits I was carrying. If you are using a kiosk, how are you going to explain anything? Add to that, that if she does this a lot, she probably just started answering the question "no", just so she could get cleared through. I'm not sure that this is a good program to sign up for.
I can understand the perspective that the penalty is high, but the problem is not Delta, Global Entry, food served by Delta, the country of origin of the apple, etc. but the false response given by the passenger to a very clear and straightforward question. Most US airports have now switched to kiosks where the inbound passengers are asked very clear and short 4 questions. It is definitely a clear expectation that an inbound passenger will respond truthfully. I think there is a warning there to put fear of the Law, if not the God, there about the importance of the declaration.

Clearly, the passenger made a, likely inadvertent, false statement and could have been forgiven or fined more lightly. But, the moaning about losing global entry in the future is not right. It is a privilege and not a right.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Except in this case what she didn't declare could actually cost tens of millions of real dollars due to potential pests, not $3.50 in unclaimed duty.

See: Fire ants, medfly, termites, etc. etc.
Except they often will just let the person throw it away upon arrival. The fine could have been lower, a warning, etc. It is not like she brought a bag full of fruit in, or even brought with her from her departure.

I think the fine is too much given the circumstances.

Interesting enough, only a fraction of US food imports to include fruits and vegetables, are ever inspected.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Currently, three principal treatment methods are used on fruit and vegetables imported into the United States: mechanical (such as cold treatment or hot water or chemical dips), fumigation, and irradiation.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves...oduce-imports/

Old 04-24-2018, 10:54 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times
GE Members are held to higher standards. Bringing food into the country from an international location is a huge No No for obvious reasons. You are expected to have your act together when you accept the conditions of GE. You can't forget that you have food on you.

Yes. I have a GE card going on 6 years now.

I dont mean to come across as a goody two shoes...far from it but I would never take food off a plane.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
As a global entry, she was using the automated passport control, with no human interaction. There is a question starting with "Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants...." to which she answered no. And, there are only 4 questions in all, if I remember it right.

PS: It also advises you of penalty of felony and $10,000 fine.
Exactly. Reading is fundamental. I just don't get people not knowing the importance of Customs, nor ignoring the questions.

I still question the apple was a Delta apple. I have been on many flights (domestic and International) and have never been given a fresh fruit. I would think it would be a potential danger having fresh fruit stored on airplanes due to fruit-flies.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:11 AM

638 posts, read 593,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Exactly. Reading is fundamental. I just don't get people not knowing the importance of Customs, nor ignoring the questions.

I still question the apple was a Delta apple. I have been on many flights (domestic and International) and have never been given a fresh fruit. I would think it would be a potential danger having fresh fruit stored on airplanes due to fruit-flies.
Obviously it was a Delta apple. However, firstly it doesnt matter at all in this context, and secondly its quite unlikely that it was brought from America. Delta will have catering contracts in most of their international destinations and meals for the return leg will be loaded there and branded appropriately. There just isn't enough space to carry hundreds of meals out and hundreds of meals back.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
What airport is it? I need to avoid this airport in the future. This custom agent is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel