Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
IMO.........Hawaii no! To far and to darn risky in so many ways it's not funny..

Take a trip but choose a close low pressure get away. Hawaii can get done later.

Have a good safe trip!

This....take a fun trip elsewhere, so many places to visit on mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Last I knew, Hawaii had hospitals, ambulances, delivery rooms, doctors, and nurses just like anywhere else in the United States. From the west coast, Hawaii is 5-ish hours of flight time. What's the big deal?
I missed where the OP said that she was on the west coast so maybe the flight would be longer than 5 hours. The big deal is that anything can happen during those 5 hours of flight time. What if the OP went into early labor on the plane? There was a story recently about how a woman who was on vacation with her husband and toddler and had to give birth prematurely because she had an infection. An insurance sanfu lead to her husband traveling with the premature new born back to the continental United States while the wife and toddler remained at the resort.

If you do decide to go OP, make sure that your insurance will cover pregnancy emergencies abroad. It might not be a bad idea to put off a vacation until you have a handle on your housing situation. Will you be able to financially handle the vacation, remodeling of the old house, and saving for a new house while welcoming the new addition to your family?

Old 04-25-2018, 10:22 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
My wife and I did a "babymoon" in Oahu, Hawaii when she was 4.5 months pregnant, and it was wonderful. We got a non-stop 10 hour flight from NY and I walked up and down the aisles of the plane every hour with my wife for circulation purposes. Hawaii was a very nice balance of relaxing by the ocean or pool and we did some light sightseeing as well - my wife even "hiked" the Diamond Head Crater while pregnant. If you can swing it financially and if your doctor approved it, I really see no reason not to go. As someone noted upstream, Hawaii has first rate medical care and services if you need them and it is a terrific place to visit. Go for it!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Wants, and needs.

You decide.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
Hi im currently pregant with our second child. My oldest is 2. Im due to give birth in September. I would like to go on a trip with my husband and our two year ood son. My doctor gave me clearance to go but can only go not later that June. I know tickets and hotel accomodation is expensive around the month of June which is the only month we can go before I give birth due to our work schedule.

We are trying to watch our spending since were saving to buy another house and also to remodel our current house. Do you guys think its wise to go? I know that we can on different month after I gibe birth but Im afrsid we can handle bringing a baby and a toddler with us. Were thinking of going to Hawaii btw. Thanks.
We have done 9 + hr international flights when baby was 7.5 months inside. Also did domestic when baby was 3 months inside.

Anything between 3 months and 8 months has been safe in our experience.

Regarding finance, a Hawaii trip for a week can cost around 6000 for a decent stay + flight + food + car . Book non stop & avoid basic economy if possible.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:25 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
We have done 9 + hr international flights when baby was 7.5 months inside. Also did domestic when baby was 3 months inside.

Anything between 3 months and 8 months has been safe in our experience.

Regarding finance, a Hawaii trip for a week can cost around 6000 for a decent stay + flight + food + car . Book non stop & avoid basic economy if possible.
Yes, my closest friend went to Hawaii when she was around 5 months pregnant from the Midwest. She was fine. I think she also went to Ireland for her second set (she had twins) at about 5 months. She was cleared by her doctor before going both times and was fine. It’s basically up to the doctor whether s/he thinks it’s a good idea or not and then I think some airlines might also have their own restrictions as there was some article just a month or two ago about someone who had exceeded the limit on that airline by a day or two.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:06 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I would say no wait until after you get your money saved for purchase of new home and get current one ready to sell and then save some money and ask the grandparents or another relative to watch the children while you go on a trip . Better to wait until things have settled down a bit before traveling like you want too .

Old 04-26-2018, 08:37 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
It is impossible to give any recommendation without know where you live. Hawaii from the West Coast, for example, is a relatively short flight and not a problem. Hawaii from East Coast is at least a 10 hour flight and I would not recommend it when pregnant.

We live in the NYC tri state area. We went to Miami Beach when my wife was about five month pregnant with our second daughter. Our five year old son stayed with my parents... This is just a three hour flight from NYC. We had a very good time and still have good memories from that trip...

Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM

290 posts, read 567,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
It is impossible to give any recommendation without know where you live. Hawaii from the West Coast, for example, is a relatively short flight and not a problem. Hawaii from East Coast is at least a 10 hour flight and I would not recommend it when pregnant.

We live in the NYC tri state area. We went to Miami Beach when my wife was about five month pregnant with our second daughter. Our five year old son stayed with my parents... This is just a three hour flight from NYC. We had a very good time and still have good memories from that trip...
We live in California. About 5 hours nonstop flight.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM

290 posts, read 567,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would say no wait until after you get your money saved for purchase of new home and get current one ready to sell and then save some money and ask the grandparents or another relative to watch the children while you go on a trip . Better to wait until things have settled down a bit before traveling like you want too .
Were not comfortable leaving my son to anyone even to grandparents to babysit while were thousand miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel