Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:48 PM

492 posts, read 638,274 times

Advertisements

I’ve spent a couple of summers in Paris, including a month that went from mid August to mid September. We tend to stay in apartments without AC and the heat was never an issue. Admittedly, we were trying to leave the humid heat of the south behind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We have a flat booked for the 2nd week in August in Central Paris. Said flat is on the 6th floor (a lift is there) but has no air conditioning. The owner will provide fans, but will that be sufficient to keep the place reasonably cool?

Being from Texas we don't mind it getting warm indoors during the day & early evening (won't be there anyway), but find it difficult to sleep well late at night if the indoor temperature gets above 75F.
We are both in our early 70s.

We have read that on occasion it can get very hot in Paris - up to 40C - but generally is pretty mild compared to Central Texas at that time of the year.

Any informative feedback is welcome, and thanks in advance.

Sit in front of the fans with misting bottles. That's European-style air-conditioning. And for a growing number of impoverished Americans, at home.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:15 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
When I was a kid living in Texas & Mexico, we had no A/C, just a few fans to contend with the 100-110F summers.

Besides, I'm just talking about overnight sleeping conditions. Don't care about "sitting around" time being hot. In fact we won't be sitting around in the flat much at all - it's just a place to bathe & sleep.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
When I was a kid living in Texas & Mexico, we had no A/C, just a few fans to contend with the 100-110F summers.

Besides, I'm just talking about overnight sleeping conditions. Don't care about "sitting around" time being hot. In fact we won't be sitting around in the flat much at all - it's just a place to bathe & sleep.
Have a 'fan' ordered for the room!, (good for noise control 'white noise' since Europeans and many other cultures are not so keen on being QUIET in hotels at night)

Paris (48.85N Latitude) is not "Texas (30.05N) or Mexico (19.50N) Hot" during August ...

Too hot in Paris?, head for the coast (Normandy (Caen) is pretty close (2hrs) and very interesting).

I prefer Paris about 6 'other' months during the yr (to avoid crowds and enjoy more flowers / gardens / time alone).

Sometimes you have no choice. (if on a USA style 'mini-vacation' )

August is nice in PNW USA & Alaska (fresh wild berries and Salmon!), Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Maine, NH, Canada, Scandinavia (all can be 'crowded' too). sometimes in Alaska, you need to fight off the bears and Bald Eagles to get the fish! (before they get them all!)

Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
I guess you'll see if this prediction is true! I still would love to be in your shoes and be in Paris!

2018 Europe summer forecast: Intense heat to seize France to Germany; Fierce storms to hit Poland to Italy, Romania

May 21, 2018, 6:21:23 AM EDT

High fire risk as heat waves bake France to Germany and northern Italy
Sweltering heat will build across parts of western and central Europe throughout the summer months.
High temperatures are expected to soar to or past 32 C (90 F) on numerous occasions from June through August in Toulouse and Lyon, France, Milan and Florence, Italy, and Frankfurt and Berlin, Germany.
The most intense heat will lead to temperatures approaching 38 C (100 F) in southern France and northern Italy.
"There is concern for a long-duration heat wave late in the summer which could produce dangerous conditions for the young and elderly," Accuweather Senior Meteorologist Alan Reppert said.
"Another concern will be for poor air quality which will greatly affect the elderly and anyone with prior health issues," AccuWeather Meteorologist Tyler Roys added.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...mania/70004928

Old 07-01-2018, 06:11 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
lol, currently I'm in Philly. It's been 90+ degrees and 50% humidity for the last 3 days and predicted to be that way for the next 10. real feel temperature?? 105 .

Love Paris, even in August. From Texas, you will be absolutely fine

Old 07-01-2018, 01:36 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
It can and probably will be hot. I am in Paris right now and it was in the low 30s C today. It will be warm, but it does cool off a bit at night. That being said, if you are used to AC it will feel very warm inside. I would change accommodations. You probably will need to opt for a hotel as very few flats in Paris have AC.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:40 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times
The suggestion above about going to Normandy is a good one.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I guess you'll see if this prediction is true! I still would love to be in your shoes and be in Paris!

2018 Europe summer forecast: Intense heat to seize France to Germany; Fierce storms to hit Poland to Italy, Romania

May 21, 2018, 6:21:23 AM EDT

High fire risk as heat waves bake France to Germany and northern Italy
Sweltering heat will build across parts of western and central Europe throughout the summer months.
High temperatures are expected to soar to or past 32 C (90 F) on numerous occasions from June through August in Toulouse and Lyon, France, Milan and Florence, Italy, and Frankfurt and Berlin, Germany.
The most intense heat will lead to temperatures approaching 38 C (100 F) in southern France and northern Italy.
"There is concern for a long-duration heat wave late in the summer which could produce dangerous conditions for the young and elderly," Accuweather Senior Meteorologist Alan Reppert said.
"Another concern will be for poor air quality which will greatly affect the elderly and anyone with prior health issues," AccuWeather Meteorologist Tyler Roys added.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...mania/70004928
We had the hottest May ever recorded here in Germany, temp's that would be normal for end of July or August but not May. Paris in August probably mid 20's to maybe mid 30's and a bit humid. Not as bad as south east USA.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:27 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
The suggestion above about going to Normandy is a good one.
We will be in Normandy for only two nights prior to driving down to Chaillac in central France where we will stay for a week. Then we'll be driving up to Paris for one week (the 2nd week of August).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel