Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times

Advertisements

Planning a Bach party and all attendees are between TX and FL. Bachelor claims to want something low-key with good food and good wine. We were set for Napa (I've never been so not sure how ideal it is) but as we all looked at our schedules it seems like we'd be getting in late on Fri night and then departing early Sun morn. Just doesnt seem worth such a long trip out.

So, any alternative suggestions? It seems like most Napa-type places are just as far if not farther from our collective locations in the southeast. Any good regional destinations that I don't know about? I would totally run with New Orleans or Nashville but just doesn't seem this is the type of group for that.

I plan to suggest Louisville, New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah and Chicago as possibilities but I simply dont know much about wine so I'm hoping there are some under the radar but easier to get to wine destinations?

Or should we just do Napa? Any thoughts?? I'm just concerned about having all of us fly out from across the country, drive 90 minutes to Napa, just to spend one day there and hit up a couple vineyards? I am out of my element with this type of destination so maybe it's fine and I just dont understand.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Do not bother with Napa for an essentially one-day visit. Totally not worth it.

Sorry, I know this might come off as a non-answer, but Louisville is great if you can substitute bourbon for wine. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 distillery tours I took...more laid back than wineries.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Why not do Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country?

There's a number of wineries out towards Fredricksburg, and there's plenty to do either along the Riverwalk or in Austin. Tons of good food, good bbq, whatever you need. Plus there's a few local distilleries and craft breweries.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
What about Fredericksburg, Texas? TONS of wineries and outdoor activities in that area. You could easily fly into either Austin or San Antonio and then rent an AirBnB in F'burg. The downtown area is totally walkable and there are tours that could take you out to the many wineries, if you didn't want to drive.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I know northern Georgia has a wine tasting type thing going on, around Helen or whatever that town name is.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:39 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,280 times
Fredericksburg is great wine country.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:32 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Do not bother with Napa for an essentially one-day visit. Totally not worth it.

Sorry, I know this might come off as a non-answer, but Louisville is great if you can substitute bourbon for wine. I thoroughly enjoyed the 4 distillery tours I took...more laid back than wineries.
1000% agree - and Louisville has two other things that are great fun - the races at Churchill Downs (if there are no races, the tour is actually pretty good!). I'm a women and don't give a rat's patoAoty about baseball (except for two movies - Field of Dreams and The Natural - those I love). But the tour of the Louisville Slugger factory was incredibly cool. I'm not kidding - the guys would love it.

A much less desirable alternative - Northern Virgina.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:05 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
The Missouri River wine district west of St. Louis is an option. Hermann Missouri is sort of ground zero but it extends down towards St. Charles and St. Louis and some distance southward. Generally a very German heritage area with lots of festivals so finding a local place to stay could be an issue some weekends.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:15 PM

622 posts, read 396,087 times
Another vote for the Austin/Fredericksburg area. US 290 between these towns is known as Wine Road and has the highest concentration of wineries in the state. Stay in Fredericksburg and take the Wine Shuttle to 12 different wineries. More info here:

Texas Hill Country Wine Experience
A Guide for Planning a Texas Hill Country Wine Experience

Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
How about Asheville, NC? It’s a major craft beer place and there is a winery at Biltmore, possibly more nearby. Definitely low key and has the right vibe for such event. Residences at Biltmore is a cool condo hotel, with awesome pool, fire pit, etc. There is also NC wine trail along Yadkin valley but it’s mostly rural area.

Myrtle Beach, SC has a large new Duplin Winery store and there are 2 wineries within short driving distance. They also have some artisanal moonshine place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel