Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times

Advertisements

Who says they don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 03:35 PM

13,273 posts, read 8,392,925 times
Says who? My area has rock climbers, fishing,hunting, hiking, ski areas. Different rivers for water skiing too!
Our waterfall park is an hours drive north. Or we can hit the big city of Baltimore. .Philly, DC for great food or major sports.
My town has its historic landmarks which bore me to tears...but to others it's a nice day trip.
our air show is a nice summer event...
Just can't be marketing my area though since our crime is now 24/7 ...shootings increased and most folks jokingly say...bring your kevlar!

Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,125,410 times
I completely agree.

In fact, I'll go one better. I'm in New York City, and it astonishes me how many guards, doormen, etc, don't even know what's in a one or two block radius from their job.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,851,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Meh, DC is overrated in my view. The vote for best food city is a joke. We go there when there's a reason, catching a jazz show at Blues Alley, or when we play host to out of town visitors. The traffic jam, the pricey parking, the horrible metro service, all major turn offs. The only thing to recommend is the free museums.
That doesn't explain why they wouldn't want to go out at all.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:51 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
That doesn't explain why they wouldn't want to go out at all.
So the traffic jam, pricey parking, and horrible metro service are not enough for you?

Regardless, so what if people have no desire to go out and explore? Not everyone likes to explore or travel. I don't understand this compulsion to shame people into traveling. Maybe after a long week stuck in traffic everyday, all one wants to do is sit back and relax at home. What's wrong with that?

Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,187,380 times
If I lived in or near a city like Washington, I would absolutely never dream of going into the city just for fun. I would go there only if absolutely necessary, and then think long and hard about it.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
People often live in a particular place out of necessity, not preference. I lived in Colorado for a while and hated every minute of it. People would ask me about the mountains or the skiing and I couldn't have cared less. As for DC, I could not imagine a greater hell. Despite the fact I would love to see the monuments, there is no way I would deal with the "local population". So I'd be staying home too.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:18 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,382,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I recently moved to the DC area for work. Most of my coworkers aren't from around here, but it seems like every night they just go home to their apartments and play games or watch anime, or occasionally out to a local bar to drink. We're one county away from the city of DC, and many people at my office have never been there, or to Arlington, Alexandria, Maryland, etc., and don't display much interest when I talk about things I've seen and done there. Their lives exist within a 2-mile or so radius.

How is it so overwhelmingly normal to just not be curious about your surroundings?

I'm with you. I have no answer why people are like this. Good excuses are kids, bedridden relatives to take care of, and writing novels.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,009 times
I’ve lived in Florida for not quite two years and I can tell you I have no desire to see Mickey or Minney, go look for gators(they’re everywhere here),or a hundred other places that are overrun by tourists and seniors (no offense to seniors, I am one as well). I do admit to being bored sometimes,but I guess I’m not so bored to want to deal with the traffic and crowds.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:02 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Curiosity will kill the kitty cat especially late at night on empty streets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel