Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd say Rome or Istanbul.

Leaning towards Istanbul, just because it's not as European, yet still is in comfortable ways. There's really not many places like Turkey. If you have someone who's well travelled and you love history, you could pick a ton of worse places.
I love Turkey. I also love France. Barcelona is fabulous. Like Brian_M, I hated Italy. And I live in NNJ, where everyone adores Italy.

Western Europe might be best since you're a beginning traveller and you'll already be in Ireland. No point in flying all the way around the world (expensive!) on your first trip. Also, how long is your trip? If it's just ten days or so, you don't want to spend a lot of it in transit.

Have you and your uncle traveled together much domestically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Long story short, my uncle is world-renowned in his field and has traveled to more countries than one can count. We have never traveled together before outside of the US however. We are planning a trip to Ireland soon since that is our heritage but he's also assigned me to choose a non-English speaking country for us to visit. There are so many to choose from I don't know where to begin...I think I'd prefer somewhere in Europe but I'm open minded. So to any seasoned world travelers out there which country do you think I should choose?
You plan to visit a non english country in the same trip? Gush, this is such a vague request. It is like asking people on this forum to pick your wedding menu.

Guys, you have -probably - a budget and some sort of preference. Mountain vs sea. Hobbies and such. Just take this into consideration and come up with an idea.

I dont think you are going to go where we tell you to anyway.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:41 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
There's almost no wrong answer. Hard to choose one for you. European destination would make the most sense...and I would lean towards Western Europe if you're not trying to keep the budget low. So....France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, etc would all be front and center. Any of those excite you? Plenty of other options besides those still lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I lived in Beijing from 1998 to 2002.

I'm not sure how fun it is for tourists. Beijing definitely has a lot to offer when it comes to historic sites and cultural events, but the language barrier could be a hindrance. Also, many less seasoned travelers are reluctant to visit third world destinations.
Beijing is not third world. Particularly since around 2006 or 07 leading up to the Beijing Olympics. I distinctly remember being shocked by the progress between my visits in 2001 and 2007.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
I'm a history lover so that's probably the most important thing, including art/historical museums and historical sites, ruins, etc. but I'd like an eclectic mix of things...cathedrals and churches I'd visit for the history and architecture. I'd like to see both sides of the country as in city life and the small towns (because the latter is where the real country is) and beautiful scenery is a must, though that is subjective. Food is of course an important part of any trip but not the end all be all.

And yes, knowing my uncle he will probably pay but I'd try to pay for some of it.
France, Germany, Italy, Austria, will all fit that bill...and plenty of others...Much of Central, Western, and Southern Europe to a certain extent, and probably Eastern Europe too but I'm not as familiar with that.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:13 PM

352 posts, read 324,671 times
Quote:
Long story short, my uncle is world-renowned in his field and has traveled to more countries than one can count. We have never traveled together before outside of the US however. We are planning a trip to Ireland soon since that is our heritage but he's also assigned me to choose a non-English speaking country for us to visit. There are so many to choose from I don't know where to begin...I think I'd prefer somewhere in Europe but I'm open minded. So to any seasoned world travelers out there which country do you think I should choose?
Personally I've been to 40+ countries and 46 of the US States. I too, am a history teacher, so my opinions are based on that mainly.

Dubrovnik, Croatia is one of the most amazing places I've ever been with the combination of stunning beaches and vistas as well as a vast and rich history. The old walled city of Dubrovnik stands out as one of the best things I've ever seen in my many travels.

Other places I'd recommend that are European and not your standard London/Paris/Rome/Barcelona, etc. type destinations:

Prague, Czech Republic
Jerrez (Cadiz), Spain
Antwerp, Belgium
Nuremberg, Germany
St. Petersburg, Russia
Budapest, Hungary
Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna, Austria

Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Personally I've been to 40+ countries and 46 of the US States. I too, am a history teacher, so my opinions are based on that mainly.

Dubrovnik, Croatia is one of the most amazing places I've ever been with the combination of stunning beaches and vistas as well as a vast and rich history. The old walled city of Dubrovnik stands out as one of the best things I've ever seen in my many travels.

Other places I'd recommend that are European and not your standard London/Paris/Rome/Barcelona, etc. type destinations:

Prague, Czech Republic
Jerrez (Cadiz), Spain
Antwerp, Belgium
Nuremberg, Germany
St. Petersburg, Russia
Budapest, Hungary
Innsbruck, Salzburg and Vienna, Austria
This is an interesting subject. When I started traveling, I skipped the tourist standards in favor of more obscure destinations -- central Turkey, Lithuania, Budapest, etc. But then I spent a week in Paris and fell in love with the place. Ended up living there for two years.

I've always recommended that beginning travelers start with the standards, but maybe that's not the best advice. I guess it depends on how adventurous/adaptable the traveler is. Will they melt down if there's no English version of the menu?

I've heard that Dubrovnik is amazing. Hope to make it there some day.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 PM

9,417 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Andorra.

Scotland.

Kurdistan.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I love Turkey. I also love France. Barcelona is fabulous. Like Brian_M, I hated Italy. And I live in NNJ, where everyone adores Italy.

Western Europe might be best since you're a beginning traveller and you'll already be in Ireland. No point in flying all the way around the world (expensive!) on your first trip. Also, how long is your trip? If it's just ten days or so, you don't want to spend a lot of it in transit.

Have you and your uncle traveled together much domestically?
I'd pick Western Europe for a first trip, too. It's a reasonable distance.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:18 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
You don't want to go to an "amazing" place. Everywhere is amazing to a first time traveler, and adding amazing to amazing is just an overkill that will either stretch or compress your ability to cope.

Avoid the Barcelonas and Macchu Picchus. Places you've never heard of will will be more gently awesome, and give you a sense that you are an explorer. My exwife's first visit to Europe, the place she loved the most was Kaunas, Lithuania's second city. Sounds like a great choice to me.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You don't want to go to an "amazing" place. Everywhere is amazing to a first time traveler, and adding amazing to amazing is just an overkill that will either stretch or compress your ability to cope.

Avoid the Barcelonas and Macchu Picchus. Places you've never heard of will will be more gently awesome, and give you a sense that you are an explorer. My exwife's first visit to Europe, the place she loved the most was Kaunas, Lithuania's second city. Sounds like a great choice to me.
Barcelona is very touristy for good reasons, food, architecture, an international airport to fly into. Macchu Picchu is much more difficult to access, for some people(like me), it's not worth the trouble.

At least it doesn't hurt to give Barcelona a couple of days, and then take the train to other parts of Spain. My personal favorite is green Spain(from Catalonia to Basque to Galicia). Northern Spain is probably underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel