Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 PM

55 posts, read 63,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Never did I have anyone approach me trying to sell junk....in Rome. No pickpockets etc. Everyone has a different experience.

Your experiences are par for an international trip abroad. Not all streets are cobbled not all buildings old...you were obviously in the tourist areas. You should have read ahead regarding cobbled streets so you'd have appropriate shoes.

Not sure what you expected....travel can be hard, frustrating and tiresome. You just have to deal with those issues if you want to see the Vatican, the Capitoline Museum, ruins, eat delicious foods, meet interesting people.

Next time your expectations won't be so high....
I wore comfortable shoes but I probably walked 2 miles per day or more. My dogs were barking at the end of the day . LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I do a lot of international traveling but this is a new one for me. Please explain this one!
It was people trying to get me to sign a petition telling me that they were drug free for a certain amount of time. Then they ask for a donation. I fell for it once! The second time I pretended to speak some weird language so they left me alone then. Lol

Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 PM

I don't mean to sound bitchy or whiny. I am glad I got to take a trip to Europe finally. I've seen what I've wanted to see. Now I would probably never go back to Rome again. There is always Florence, Paris, Madrid,London,Budapest, or Athens. I will never schedule a layover with less than 4 hrs again. If your flight is late , this can screw up your connecting flight ! Give yourself plenty of time to relax and catch your bearings for your connection. I never want to rush across a huge airport and barely make my flight again!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leegary1982 View Post
I don't mean to sound bitchy or whiny. I am glad I got to take a trip to Europe finally. I've seen what I've wanted to see. Now I would probably never go back to Rome again. There is always Florence, Paris, Madrid,London,Budapest, or Athens. I will never schedule a layover with less than 4 hrs again. If your flight is late , this can screw up your connecting flight ! Give yourself plenty of time to relax and catch your bearings for your connection. I never want to rush across a huge airport and barely make my flight again!
Paris is going to be a far bigger disappointment, enjoy.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"Gladiators?"

The only thing I can think of you might mean are beefy guys in costumes. Otherwise, you're a time-traveler.
I think OP might mean the costumed legionaries on segways.

Quote:
I wore comfortable shoes but I probably walked 2 miles per day or more. My dogs were barking at the end of the day . LOL
If you mean this literally, your problem is lack of conditioning. 2 miles is an inconsequential distance for a person to walk. At a recent trip to a different European city I walked 12 miles/day according to my phones fitness tracker.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:31 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
Good thing your shoes were comfortable, or you’d have really suffered. That’s one mistake you don’t want to make when you travel.

I’m also surprised you walked so little. You can easily walk a couple miles in a single museum, never mind getting around on foot generally. Agreed that wasn’t a whole lot. Best thing to do to build yourself up is to sit and take breaks on benches while in museums; they usually come up at strategic points and often in front of paintings you want to linger in front of, so take advantage. Be sure to take lunch and snack breaks as needed. And public transport usually offers seats.

It helps to walk more than usual before you leave on the trip.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,503,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
You didn't schedule enough time between your flights. A flight leaving an hour late shouldn't have been a big deal.
How often do we have a choice on connection timing? In fact, I've never seen such a thing. So blame the airlines, not the customer.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
I've been there several times, but I was stationed in Sicily and we would just take a train or a tour bus. We were not really rushed. And we were young. I don't know how old you are, but when you are younger, you can tolerate more.

I don't think I would want to go back now.

As someone mentioned the fall or very early spring is a nice time to go. It can get very hot over there during the summer.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:35 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

As someone mentioned the fall or very early spring is a nice time to go. It can get very hot over there during the summer.
That's why Italians take August off. Cities are empty, many businesses are closed, and beaches are full.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

If you mean this literally, your problem is lack of conditioning. 2 miles is an inconsequential distance for a person to walk. At a recent trip to a different European city I walked 12 miles/day according to my phones fitness tracker.
Same here. The first two miles is the warm up. (And if you think 2 miles is a lot of walking, I suggest reviewing your current lifestyle in other ways to improve long term health)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
How often do we have a choice on connection timing? In fact, I've never seen such a thing. So blame the airlines, not the customer.
That boggles my mind. Every route I search for will have a large number options with connecting times ranging from the airline's minimum legal connection to the maximum time allowed in the system for that kind of route to be a connection rather than a stopover. Even when we're talking two relatively obscure destinations. Want something like VPS-BGR? ITA Matrix returns 17 different pages of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel