Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:35 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times

Advertisements

Now that we all bring our laptops, tablets, phones, chargers, etc.etc.etc. with us, there's no room for clothes in the one carryon bag we take. Minimum undies, a change or two, then whatever toiletries, and supplement with thrift store purchases that can get tossed or re-donated on the return trip. Wear your coat or jacket and heaviest shoes.

I can't believe all these people we see with multiple giant trunks checking in for flights these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Now that we all bring our laptops, tablets, phones, chargers, etc.etc.etc. with us, there's no room for clothes in the one carryon bag we take. Minimum undies, a change or two, then whatever toiletries, and supplement with thrift store purchases that can get tossed or re-donated on the return trip. Wear your coat or jacket and heaviest shoes.
I've never had a problem getting all my stuff to fit into carry on luggage, even for 2 week trips. And that includes having my laptop, charging cables, toilitries, hiking boots, tennis shoes, fleece jacket, and rain coat all in my carryon. And my clothes of course. Its all about packing efficiently.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've never had a problem getting all my stuff to fit into carry on luggage, even for 2 week trips. And that includes having my laptop, charging cables, toilitries, hiking boots, tennis shoes, fleece jacket, and rain coat all in my carryon. And my clothes of course. Its all about packing efficiently.
Yep. Gotta be ruthless. I sound like I'm shilling for North Face, but not really: I have one of their packs for business, that just works: the Access. Cost too much, but was a legit expense in my case and paid off 10x in convenience. Holds a Surface 3 Pro, Samsung tablet, various well-considered minimalist chargers, two pens, ID wallet x2, pockets for receipts, and main hold enough for various small sub-bags. Stands up on it's own, semi-hard sides, fits under airline seats. Little wear despite that it's been on a dozen trips and 2x connections this year, at least. Has little slots and pockets for most of the above so you can FIND everything fast.

Just saying, right tool for the job reduces my stress about 90% at this point. TSA Pre, and as of last week CLEAR here in Seattle (SeaTac), has it down about 95%. Silver Medallion headed for Gold pretty quick, and "maybe" Platinum (hmm...) will take that to near-zero, thank you Delta. *Any* stress on business travel is too much.

I do check a bag, though, in addition to the above.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
I have two silver Rimowa hardcover rollers- one that easily fits into overheads and one big guy which has been checked frequently and I imagine thrown a lot at the Atlanta airport. After five years they have some black marks that could easily be cleaned off but are otherwise in great shape. They are lightweight and roll great. Cost more than my previous luggage that required replacing every few years.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:11 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I have never bought "nice" luggage. Get the cheapest that will do for your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel