Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:32 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,285,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
What do you think is the best and worst airline you've flown with in the U.S. ?

I think Delta is pretty good, and not too impressed with American.
American and United are the worst domestically. Spirit, I won't even touch.

The best i've encountered, Southwest for domestic and Delta a close second. I've been flying Delta for as long as I can remember and was the first plane I ever flew on as a child. I've also flown Delta internationally with no problems but I will take ANA (All Nippon) for my trip to Japan.

Back in the day, I loved Pan Am, Eastern, TWA, Southern Airlines, National Airline, Texas International, Piedmont and Northwest before they all were no longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I prefer American and have not encountered any problems. Living in Charlotte, though, I am partial and did fly USAir before the merger. Their hub is here and offers a lot of direct flights. I would rather pay more to get somewhere in a few hours than takes me a day with layovers. You cannot get time back.

Also Delta is good for international flights. Cannot beat the complimentary wine. lol.
I had to go through CLT for a connecting flight and underestimated the size of this airport...

Old 06-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I want to like Southwest more than I do because they’re at least pleasant when they lie to your face. But when your home airport is one of their outstations, it’s high fares, often hundreds more than the legacies once the WGA fares sell out, inconvenient schedules that involve either buttcheeks of dawn departure tones or arrivals after midnight, and a tendency to delay evening flights to outstations in the name of keeping other heavier traffic routes in schedule.

My preferred airline these days is Delta. Generally good service and service recovery, and they have the best mainline service out of VPS. With United, it’s often an Embraer 135/145 to Houston and I hate how I can’t fully stand up in one of those. American involves flying with the Eagle, usually to the dread E concourse commuter gates in Charlotte.

I have actually learned to stop worrying and love the ATL. Yes, it’s stupidly large but it makes sense and has some pretty decent food options which are accessible to all flyers because of the common airside area. And the McNamara terminal at Detroit Metro is the best large airport in the USA. Delta has the best hubs.

I also like Delta’s ‘20 minutes or 2500 miles’ checked bag guarantee. My household has made 17.5K service recovery miles in the past year for bags in the 21-24 minutes past cabin door opening range
When I have a long layover in ATL, and I mean between 3-5 hours, it's not bad. I get to my gate area and relax, grab a beer or coffee or both.There's plenty to eat and shopping. Not cheap, but there are options. This airport is a self-contained city within itself, sans a "mayor" lol.

When you have a connecting flight with only 30-45 minutes to spare and it's on the opposite end of the airport, then yes, it can be a problem, especially when it takes a while to de-plane from your original flight..oh well.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times
Since I fly out of a small airport, it's not like I really have a choice.

United/Skywest, Alaska/Horizon or Allegiant. Delta is allegedly here (mostly via "Alliance"), but, like Allegiant, their schedule is limited. Since I am almost always connecting (through SFO) it really makes sense to stay on one carrier for the entire trip. Flying to Europe (which I haven't done since we moved here) I'd consider switching to another carrier in SFO.

Alaska is the best airline, but they really messed up last year and ended up cancelling flights - often at the last minute - and stranding passengers right and left because they lacked pilots and planes for the smaller commuter planes. Since Alaska flies only the commuter planes out of this airport, we were hit especially hard by it. United at least flies some mainline flights out of here on A320 but Skywest flies only the regional Embraers. When SFO is delayed by fog, the priority goes: international flights, flights already in the air, large mainline flights, small regional flights. The regional flights bear the brunt of the delays.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 06-08-2018, 12:27 PM

30,501 posts, read 17,950,046 times
I've hated Delta in the US, though Delta internationally has been pretty good (I've flown Delta to India, Japan, and Australia).

In terms of best airline experience, it would probably be Hawaiian as far as overall customer service has been, though I don't like that they don't provide a full meal on flights to the mainland that can be 10 hrs long and cost upwards of $1500 per person.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 812,207 times
Recently United has really been letting me down. Four delayed flights in a row and there always seems to be confusion when its a long delay.
American is the recent go to. Only complaint has to be the older planes without build in infotainment and the snacks aren't the best
Flew with Jetblue not to long ago. Honestly is was better then the two carriers above, but there limited number of flights to the airports that I normally use and my employee's disapproval of flying with them is what stops me from using them.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,559,031 times
Default Not a good example, McD's has great customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Well what do you expect for the price they charge? You pay rock-bottom prices, it would be ignorant not to expect bottom-barrel service. You don't go into McDonalds expecting grade A service and high quality food. You go simply because of the price and put up with the crap they put you through because it doesn't hurt your wallet as much.

To me, saving money to fly ULCCs just isn't worth it so I fork over the extra money to fly a legacy or foreign carrier.
What is ULCCC?

You didn't use a good example because McDonald's has great customer service. I travel a lot domestically and visit McD's in different states and the customer service is consistently good. Are there some bad apples at McDonald's? Of course. Do their restaurant have some off days? Of course, but overall they have good customer service. Charging lower prices is no excuse to give poor or bad customer service in a capitalist society unless you plan to be out of business within a few years. Spirit Airlines should do much better.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 PM

10,310 posts, read 7,897,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
What is ULCCC?
Ultra Low Cost Carrier.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:08 AM

4,410 posts, read 2,893,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$15 (up from $12.50) buys you "Early Bird" (if that is important to you) $30 buys you A;1-15 (I am usually A 16 - 18 (for free... frequent flier), but due to many changes, I have NO problem boarding AFTER A: 1-60 (very orderly on 4,000+ flights / day)
CHEAP in comparison to
(2) 50# bags on a legacy carrier ($60+)
+ $20 - $40 for a Seat selection
($300 to $400 EXTRA for family of 4) (Free on SWA)
SWA Never felt like a cattle run, as "Line up in numerical order" beats anything I experience in Europe or Asia. (Budget carriers) and I timed my last Legacy Boarding (Delta and UA) EACH were over 2x as long process as SWA (There were 5 boarding groups on my UA flight last week!!!) People 'hunting' for specific seats and jamming far too much JUNK in their carry-ons, due to PAID luggage

I find my 'Risk' of getting a BAD seat partner FAR worse on legacy carriers / assigned seats (tho I ALWAYS check for vacant rows a few hours before boarding.).

SWA, you find a HUGE person in a row by themselves and take the empty seat (Aisle or window). and HOPE (trust / accurately predict based on passenger load (which I always check)) that the middle seat will stay vacant.

If hunting for a middle (C / late boarding)... you find the FIRST middle between (2) skinny minnie's

USA flights are SO SHORT, a middle seat is NOT death. I get stuck in Middles on many 10+ hour International flights (due to last minute changes).
Clever tips, Stealth Rabbit... but how do you check the passenger load ahead of time for a SWA flight??

Old 06-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
... how do you check the passenger load ahead of time for a SWA flight??
1) ask at gate (I always volunteer for a bump each flight anyway)
2) Call within 24 hrs of flight
3) Have a SWA friend let you know

4) I'm Open for better / EZr ideas myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel