Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I know right? People talk about driving because of possible delays when flying, but one bad wreck or poor timing with construction and you've got big delays driving too.
With driving nowadays, you have Google Maps and Waze that can help avoid (most of) that. With flying, you are SOL on delays. The minor ones aren't a big deal, but the delays of multiple hours or flat-out cancellations put a huge damper on plans, considering a lot of us have small allotments of vacation time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 AM

61,719 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Drive vs. Fly, what's the tipping point for you?
Distance, time and comfort for me.
For some other drivers, the tipping point could be also their driving skills, ability to deal with the traffic, or fear of driving/flying.

- If I have time and the car is reliable and comfortable - the distance doesn't matter. I will drive. I like to drive and don't fear traffic.
- If I am in a hurry and the distance is big I will fly.
- If I am in time pressure and the distance is doable, I will drive, because I might beat the travel delays and the inconvenience of being early at the airport, and the transportation time to and from the airport.
- If I wouldn't have a reliable car, trust my driving skills, fear traffic, or need to sleep or have work done during my travel - I will fly.

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2019 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 11:07 PM

860 posts, read 697,914 times
definitely 5 hours if going for a weekend, as that is the point where the flight becomes shorter.

I'll do up to about 10-12 (including stops, a day's drive) if the flights are expensive and I'm going for an extended amount of time.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:00 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I frequently fly between Phoenix and Denver and my tipping point for my last trip was almost $280 for a ticket. I drove. With gas and a motel each way I still saved money. And I didn't have to rent a car.
I checked the distance for Denver CO to Phoenix AZ, and it said 1390 km, or 12h 45m driving time.
I then checked Expedia for flight prices, an example was, round trip, out June 4th, return June 11th, £113, which equates today to $156.72.
This seemed very cheap to me for a round trip of almost 2800 km, so I doubled it to $313.44 just in case I’d missed something, or omitted a lot of unseen extras.
These things are all subjective, a one man’s meat is another man’s poison kind of thing, but having spent my entire working life with a steering wheel in my hands, these days I avoid driving like the plague, unless I absolutely can’t avoid it, so for me, it would be a no-brainer, I’d be in a taxi to the airport in a flash.
Driving for 12h.45m each way, or $300+ for sitting in a plane relaxing, would be no contest, but that’s me.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I checked the distance for Denver CO to Phoenix AZ, and it said 1390 km, or 12h 45m driving time.
I then checked Expedia for flight prices, an example was, round trip, out June 4th, return June 11th, £113, which equates today to $156.72.
This seemed very cheap to me for a round trip of almost 2800 km, so I doubled it to $313.44 just in case I’d missed something, or omitted a lot of unseen extras.
Driving for 12h.45m each way, or $300+ for sitting in a plane relaxing, would be no contest, but that’s me.
Do check other flight options (google flights and direct with carrier)

SWA is not always listed on Expedia or Google Flights. (Iflyswa.com)

Free bags, changes, cancellations, and very liberal use of credits makes SWA my usual choice within their service area. Use their 'low-fare-calender' to find least costly days of travel.

I often get DEN>PHX for $49-$79 each way.

Much cheaper than driving!

Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM

I go to college in Worcester MA and live in Washington DC.

If I'm going down for something urgent (like when I went to get my vaccine a few weeks ago), I take a plane. Total travel time is about 5-6 hours because I didn't need to check any luggage and used Lyft to the airport to avoid having to deal with parking and Boston drivers.

If I'm going for an extended period of time (like Winter or Summer break), I drive. Total travel time is about 8 hours including stops.

NOTE: Both travel times are during the pandemic, and would probably be slightly longer if there was no Covid.

Plus, if there were a Shinkansen-style train from DC to Boston that actually went fast at all times, I would probably take that on the way back.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Disregarding pandemic issues, I'd say it's when it's longer than a 6 hour drive.

The two airports I'm in and out of the most are Logan and DFW. In either case there's around an hour travel time to the A/P, then you need to be there an hour early because you never know what kind of snafu will exist at security; then when you land there's a half hour to rent a car and another hour to get to your destination. That's three and a half hours non-flying time. In most cases I can travel 200+ miles in three hours in the car. I'd gladly sit in my own car, listening to my own stereo, stopping to use the bathroom or eat or stretch my legs anytime I want to, for three more hours to avoid those three hours to-from-at the airport.

In present pandemic conditions it's going to be driving unless I have to cross an ocean.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Disregarding pandemic issues, I'd say it's when it's longer than a 6 hour drive.
I could agree. My 5 hour answer was kinda clouded with the current pandemic, as Covid has made air travel faster.

Still, under 5-6 and I'll drive always, 5-6 to 10-12 I'll fly if I'm limited in time, and over 10-12 I'll fly (or take the train if I'm going to Florida).

Old 04-22-2021, 05:08 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Do check other flight options (google flights and direct with carrier)

SWA is not always listed on Expedia or Google Flights. (Iflyswa.com)

Free bags, changes, cancellations, and very liberal use of credits makes SWA my usual choice within their service area. Use their 'low-fare-calender' to find least costly days of travel.

I often get DEN>PHX for $49-$79 each way.

Much cheaper than driving!
I guess that SWA is South West Airlines, (the first Google result was Scotch Whisky Association!).
$50, $80, or even $100 each way sounds good, I’d certainly go for that rather than drive that distance.
It may be the different mind set of you guys compared to an English guy who just prefers a lazy life.
It appears that 5, 6, 7, or more hours driving doesn’t faze you bunch one bit, whereas an hour or more of driving would have me slashing my wrists.
My wife likes to visit her old dad once per fortnight, and he lives some 60 miles from our London home.
I’ll go with her providing I can sit in back reading the paper, otherwise I’ll stay at home, or as on one occasion, I took a round trip by train while she drove there and back.
Our nephew married a Scots girl from just outside Glasgow, around 400 miles from London, all my in-laws drove up, my brother-in-law taking my wife, although I naturally would have bought her plane ticket, as I took the easy route from London City Airport to Glasgow then a $90 taxi ride to Ayr.
I don’t care how much the flight costs, to me, forking out for a plane ticket is better than driving for hours, but as I said, that’s me and my idiosyncratic ways.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
For me it comes down to how much time I have ... if it's just a week, maybe fly. If it's 2 weeks, maybe drive.

I don't want to eat up all the time driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel