Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 02:32 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
If you don't understand, you don't understand. Having to wait in line, then remove your shoes, take your laptop out of your bag and open it up, then set a $10,000 watch along with my wallet, phone, etc. in a bin that could easily be stolen.
I've never understood using those little bins for things like jewelry, wallets, and phones. The risk of being stolen is just one issue ... More than once I've seen them reach the end of the belt, only to be hit by a large bag coming behind, and going upturned, dumping the contents.

I put my belongings in the little pocket on the outside of my bag. Then I don't have to worry about them getting lost or stolen. And I can put those things in the pocket either before I get in line or while I'm standing in line (if it's slow moving) so that I'm ready when I get to the scanners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 02:33 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why not put your wallet, watch, and phone in your bag? If they're so valuable to you, I don't know why you would just throw them into a bin where they're more likely to get picked up, even accidently, by someone else. Or if flying with a "$10,000 watch" is so stressful, why not just leave it at home.
Whoops. I should have read ahead before posting! I said pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Plane seats are already uncomfortable enough. I'm not throwing pantyhose and high heels in the mix.
Quote:
It seems ridiculous to me that you're such a booster for flying.

If you don't understand, you don't understand. Having to wait in line, then remove your shoes, take your laptop out of your bag and open it up, then set a $10,000 watch along with my wallet, phone, etc. in a bin that could easily be stolen. I know people who this has happened to. It's stressful and I don't like it, or any part of flying. It used to not be so bad before 9/11, though I certainly understand the logic and reasoning for the heightened security.

All that plus delays, cranky people, uncomfortable, small seats, stupid fees, dealing with airports (where you pay $16 for a $5 drink), etc. The list goes on.

I don't like any part of it. I'm simply answering the OP's question. If you have such a problem with people listing reasons why they hate flying, I really don't know what to tell you.

If it was me, I would leave the 10K watch at home and travel with a more reasonably priced $100 watch..... won't turn your wrist green, I promise!! The checkpoint is only one place of many it could be stolen from you........

Heck, I don't think I'd wear a 10K watch ANYWHERE in public......

Old 07-05-2018, 02:41 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Why not put your wallet, watch, and phone in your bag? If they're so valuable to you, I don't know why you would just throw them into a bin where they're more likely to get picked up, even accidently, by someone else. Or if flying with a "$10,000 watch" is so stressful, why not just leave it at home.
But it's such a good humblebrag. "OMG, the stress involved in being well-to-do, amirite?" Of course, spending $85 on TSA Pre would remove the shoes and laptop stress factors, but I guess all the money went to the timepiece.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:36 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Having flown 4-6 times a week for 30 years, it just isn't fun to fly anymore.

Who said it was supposed to be "fun"? It's transportation from A to B not an amusement park ride. It isn't particularly "fun" to ride the parking shuttle or take a taxi, either.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It's uncomfortable unless you pony up for first class; people (including me) are cranky; seats are getting smaller; waiting, taking shoes off at security and unpacking your laptop; and the stupid fees they tack on like a fee for a checked bag.

What's your solution? Do away with security and hope for the best?

I find that the degree to which security is a hassle is closely related to the degree to which one plans and adapts to it. Taking your laptop out is not a big deal when you already have it by itself in an outer pocket in anticipation of this. It's a big deal when you packed it in the bottom of your main suitcase with 100 things on top of it.

I'm surprised no one said anything about baggage weight limits. I'm sure they are a minor annoyance to those aware of them who weighed their bags when packing at home. They sure seem to be a major headache to those who show up with 53.5 lbs and have to open up suitcases and move stuff around repacking in front of the ticket agent while dozens of people are waiting in line.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Let me guess; you are not 6' 6" and 275 lbs with shoulders that are 3' wide? Air travel is either excruciatingly uncomfortable or excruciatingly expensive, take your pick.

You probably don't drive a $14k sub-compact car like Ford Focus, either.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't understand how anyone could site something that takes 30 seconds (like taking off shoes) as a factor that makes flying so horrible. I didn't comment on whether you'd rather drive or how expensive your Rolex is, I specifically referenced the very short time it takes to deal with shoes and a laptop. I don't understand, it seems ridiculous to me that your threshold for aggravation is so low.

God forbid there be a ten minute wait for a taxi or a delay in checking into the hotel room. A person that is intolerant to minor hassles with airline travel is probably going to be just as intolerant to other hassles that are an inevitable part of traveling.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:49 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Just about anything would sound insufferable if you listed it out in mundain step by step details.
Except everything else typically doesn't involve hours of waiting, interaction with inconsiderate strangers, and the possibility of your upcoming flight being delayed resulting in you missing your connecting flight all of which were outside of your control. Not to mention last minute gate changes where you have to sprint across the airport to not miss your flight or last minute airplane issues where you're sitting on the tarmac for hours.

If air travel isn't insufferable, you haven't flown enough. Ask all those folks who frequently fly for work how much they "enjoy" it.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Air travel is now faster and safer. And US Customs now seldom check. It used to be that they asked you to open every suitcase for thorough search.

Last several int'l flights I didn't even see customs agents as we walked out. My partner noted it first and I said "don't worry, they're probably watching on cameras with facial recognition technology - by the time you get to the exit they'll know who you're third-grade teacher was".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel