Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 07:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
(Though I also hate flying while sick, like I had to do on Monday. Holy sinus pain batman!!)
I hate that. I have ear problems anyway with planes anyway, but the slightest sickness and I'll land not being able to hear much for a couple days. In fact I've sneezed a week later and had an ear suddenly get better that I had grown so used to it that I didn't realize it was still slightly muffled. Sudden, magic, additional clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I hate that. I have ear problems anyway with planes anyway, but the slightest sickness and I'll land not being able to hear much for a couple days. In fact I've sneezed a week later and had an ear suddenly get better that I had grown so used to it that I didn't realize it was still slightly muffled. Sudden, magic, additional clarity.

Funny you mention that ... my best friend recommended a product called Earplanes. They're available at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, CVS, and Amazon (and the Hudson News shops in most airports) ... they were fantastic! Despite my cold being in my ears, the Earplanes kept them from hurting at all. You might want to give them a try the next time you have a flight.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
After flying to Asia on Japan Airlines in 2015, I hate travel in general in the US LOL! Prior to that, I didn't really care. Travel is fun. Flights revolving around Asia are overall a huge step up from what we're using in the US and Europe though.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I’ve taken 2 trips this past year on 2 different airlines. The first one was from Las Vegas to New York on Delta, the 2nd on Southwest from Las Vegas to Orlando 6 months later.

When I book flights I try to get the best possible price with flights that won’t be landing at my destination at 5am. I also try to book non stop flights whenever possible. If that’s not possible then at least I want the stopover to be on the way to my destination, and not 100s of miles out of the way. I also avoid Frontier and Spirit at ALL costs. If it means I pay another $100-$200 for my ticket so be it

In the fall of last year I found a non stop flight from Las Vegas to JFK on Delta for $265 round trip. I wasn’t charged to check my bag (I thought I could carry it on but the flight attendant said it was too big but that they’d waive the fee. Cool by me. The service in flight was great as well especially since I paid for a basic economy ticket. Alcohol prices were reasonable as was the in flight entertainment.

2 months ago I flew from Las Vegas to my hometown of Orlando on Southwest with a stop in San Antonio. I booked Southwest this time around because they had a better price than Delta. Also no checked bag fees was nice. I also didn’t mind paying $14 for 2 vodka sodas. Especially since most bars in Vegas charge more for just one. In flight service was good, they didn’t have TVs in the seats the way Delta does, so the inflight entertainment killed my iPhones battery (will be investing in a tablet for my next SW flight.)

I’ve had several other plane trips over the years but those 2 are my most recent. Point is my experience flying has always been enjoyable.

So what gives, why do some people HATE air travel so much?
Every time the flight attendants tell me my bag is too big, I tell them it isn't (because it isn't). I take it on with me anyway. It ALWAYS fits (like I said it would) and they end up apologizing profusely.

I hate air travel. I'm really small (5'0" approx. 110lbs), but it's still cramped, food sucks, alcohol is overpriced, entertainment is hit or miss, hate paying for wifi, lines are always long @ the airports.

It isn't ideal but it is sometimes the only way to travel so I have to just suck it up. Travel itself is awesome though.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:37 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

So what gives, why do some people HATE air travel so much?
Although I hear that some people hate air travel with the exception of one person that I know is claustrophobic everyone else that I know personally actually like flying.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:07 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
The seats are made for midgets, I am 6'2".

Old 08-25-2018, 06:42 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The seats are made for midgets, I am 6'2".
I am 6'-1/2". The whole world is made for midgets.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:26 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEafYHoeFc&t=407s

Old 08-26-2018, 11:53 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,668 times
Big problem for me: the conflict between the oft-given advice to hydrate-hydrate-hydrate on long flights and the need to pee-pee-pee that the afore-mentioned advice brings on.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM

96 posts, read 58,185 times
If you really want to complain about air travel try sitting in a cramped economy class seat next to a crying baby and super active 5 year old on a true long haul flight ie 15 + hours such as the Doha to Auckland. The New York to Hong Kong would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel