Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 20,512 times

Advertisements

It would have to be a day out to Blackpool when the car broke down just as we were about to go home , took about 3 hours just to get out of Blackpool as a result , awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
If that's the "worst day out" then you have had a charmed life. This is first world problems.

I remember a quote from a former senator who's politics I don't agree with, but no denying what he went through: "Since Kunu Ri (Korean War)– and I mean it with all my heart, I have never, never had a bad day"

Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
If that's the "worst day out" then you have had a charmed life. This is first world problems.

I remember a quote from a former senator who's politics I don't agree with, but no denying what he went through: "Since Kunu Ri (Korean War)– and I mean it with all my heart, I have never, never had a bad day"
So very true.... even as a traveler (not a soldier) a 3 hr crisis / delay? Those can be daily!

With the SWA 'fan blade service' crisis I have had to 'reschedule' 9 flights in one day and spent a couple nights at airports (minor for me, rough for deceased and family...)

Stuff happens, CRAZY stuff, very disruptive stuff. Just part of the adventure. (Such as last month a person I was meeting in Asia got diverted to a different airport than did not connect where we planned to meet. minor 11 hr delay. Not life and death or anything.)

Often we would end up in the wrong place in France when the train service would go on strike, (usually they warn you). Kids were a little tough to manage when they were expecting to be getting home (Spain) but we were stuck in an Railway station SOMEWHERE in France (pretty common, not a crisis).

The ones I dislike is midnight or later in the boonies of a foreign speaking country, (Raining or snowing) when you find out you don't have a place for your family. (for various reasons you likely don't understand).

Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
Being stranded in LAX all day long. That in itself was not *THE* worst thing; rather, it was making a short trip even shorter.

But I've not done international travel, so I've not had to deal with anxiety in other countries.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I wasn't feeling well but had to drive my gf from my home in eastern Wyoming to hers in easter Iowa (800 miles?), so we took off from my home noonish, figuring to make it through South Dakota that evening and then cruise on to her home the next morning.

Got to Wall, SD in mid-afternoon and I-90 was closed east due to snow. Spent the night.

Next morning, still figured we could make it to her home that day. It was -35F with a wind chill of -60F. (That's about as cold as it EVER gets in these parts.) We got just about to Chamberlain (150 miles?) and the engine died. The alternator had failed, battery froze. Called 911 and they sent a tow truck out. Because it was a Saab, the closest alternator was in Edmondton, Alberta.

But by that time, all roads were closed coming into Chamberlain from the winter storm. We spent 5 or 6 days there. By now I was full-on sick as a dog. I ran out of other prescriptions and had difficulty getting them refilled but eventually did. Finally got to her home a week later than we'd planned. Ughhh! The next day I'm heading back to Wyoming, still suffering from flu.

I could tell you about the time it took 10 days to fly from Tokyo, Japan to Anchorage, Alaska, but that might make some of you cry!

Old 07-08-2018, 10:01 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Thirty some-odd years ago. On an airplane that was hit by lightening. Dropped like a rock. Oxygen masks came down. Small article on page 22 of the New York Times.

Took me years to fly again without lots of booze or Xanax. To this day, I panic in turbulence.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:42 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Would you like to hear about a whole week of vacation from Hell?

I invited my girlfriend, an inexperienced biker, to ride on the back with me to Sturgis for Bike Week. She was quite a bit younger than I and I underestimated how much the trip would begin to feel like supervision instead of companionship.

She was also a staunch feminist with attitude and I warned her ahead of time to avoid antagonizing male travelers on the road or in the campgrounds. Because this was difficult for her we managed to have less than friendly or helpful experiences in the campgrounds and were subject to a couple of late night pranks one of which had us sleeping with a hammer between us.

My bike broke down on the way out in the barrens of South Dakota and the problem which needed fixing required a long detour into the boonies to find a mechanic who could fix it.

One night setting up the tent she bent an aluminum pole and in attempting to straighten it broke it. Than meant another lengthy excursion up into the hills to find a shop that could weld aluminum and a couple of really scary straight-out-of-Deliverance good ole boys encounter.

That night she smoked in the tent and burnt a hole in the floor. It snowed that night - in August! And we woke up floating on our air mattresses, our clothing and items soaked in freezing water. It ruined a brand new hard cover book I had borrowed from another friend for the trip. We spent most of that day in town at the laundry and drying out the tent and sleeping bags.

Somewhere on the Iron Mountain Road I lost an 18K gold earring.

To cap the whole vacation off it rained all the way home. Blinding, goggles-fogging, nostril-clogging rain and we hydroplaned for five hundred miles. I'd told her to buy a cheap rain suit just in case but she hadn't and so I loaned her the top of mine. We had to stop at nearly every rest stop just to run the hand dryers on ourselves to warm up.

Although we had to be at work the next day I had to stop for the night but she hadn't budgeted for another night so I paid for the motel room and our supper. When I slipped into the hot tub to relax in came a gang of drunken and rowdy folks ready to party.

We got home very early the next morning and I dropped her off, thrilled to be going home. As I turned to go the last two blocks to my place I heard the tell-tale sound of pea gravel striking the bike and was totally dismayed to discover they had freshly seal-coated the street and I arrived at the garage with tar and gravel stuck to my bike.

It took my pricey leather jacket nearly three days to dry out and in the process it shrunk two sizes.

Yes, we remained friends until she died and no, I never expect to have a truly bad vacation again. LOL.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Don't you just hate it when someone claims that your bad day is nothing compared to theirs?

I cant decide what my worst day was but waking up with black eyes and having to go to work like that I can class as a bad day.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
My worst day was probably when I died during a brain operation.

Actually it was probably my wife's worst day.

I don't remember any of it.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
My worst day was probably when I died during a brain operation.

Actually it was probably my wife's worst day.

I don't remember any of it.

You died?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel