Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

19,428 posts, read 27,798,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Most table service restaurants don't want to do a single-cashier setup and don't want to invest the money in a still-too-young pay at table setup.

The pay at the table setup works just fine in Europe - and has for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 01:25 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,226 times
I use cash pretty much exclusively, credit card far less often. I never use a debit card for anything other than a bank ATM, and I check the reader first every time nowadays.

There's a big problem with using your debit card for purchases -- it lets potential hackers get into your bank account. Life's too short.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:36 PM

50,695 posts, read 36,389,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The Secret Service says it recently found many card skimmers in 21 states’ gas pumps and ATMs. But none of the articles or videos I found indicates which states or cities these were.

The reason I ask is that yesterday my husband says someone tried to buy iTunes using our cc number. The bank rejected the charge as likely fraudulent and called him. He is traveling for business but does not use the cc in question. I have only used it twice in the last month or longer, once two days prior to the fraudlent use, and once only 12 hrs before the bank rejected it. Both of these occurred in the same town, near where I live. Neither of them involved anybody else handling or seeing my card.

The gas station is very busy, especially with the summer tourist flood. Easy to think the skimmer was there. However, although the other store is not a huge tourist draw, it is my prime suspect for reasons I won’t detail here.

When I have used a card reader for RFID cards before, I had to physically approve the transaction once the card was accepted, using the electronic pen on the device. But one of the above places’ readers automatically pushed the transaction through. Is this the new norm?

And, did the Secret Service publish a list of where they found the skimmers?
Does it really matter in the end? My debit card got hacked at a gas station (I know it was there cause that was the only place I'd used it in 2 weeks) but it didn't matter at all, no one cared where it happened, no one really investigates. The skimmers get put on normally not by gas station employees, but strangers who go in the night, then take them away a few days later. In my case, they sold my info to someone who bought 2 one-way tickets to Santiago, Chile. The bank gave my money back the next day, but again there is no real investigation. It could be any gas station anywhere at anytime.

I also had my identity stolen when I applied for credit in person at a furniture store.

But my iTunes account has been hacked at least a couple of times. It didn't have anything to do with the credit card, I think they just hack into the account itself.

Again though, it might have been that station, but it doesn't really matter. It could be the one across the street next week. Again they normally don't keep them in any one place for long. I actually worry more about skimmers on ATM machines, they can do much more damage. The credit card companies will reimburse you right away, but all banks are different.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,415 times
Isn't there also a device that can read your card info just from proximity to you, without you ever using your card at all?

Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Isn't there also a device that can read your card info just from proximity to you, without you ever using your card at all?
As I understand it, yes there is. A good way to foil that is to keep your cards in a metal (aluminum?) cardholder that blocks this kind of reader.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 PM

7,513 posts, read 13,602,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
As I understand it, yes there is. A good way to foil that is to keep your cards in a metal (aluminum?) cardholder that blocks this kind of reader.
These are called RFID cards. They have a symbol on them that looks like the WiFi icon on its side.
https://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/21/ho...horized-scans/

Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,213,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The pay at the table setup works just fine in Europe - and has for years.

Chip and Pin works fine in Europe (And South America for that matter) as well.. We're not in Europe.

How many places do you still go to that have a chip reader where you're told "Oh, you have to swipe"?

Due to tipping, it's different in the US. Transaction has to be run, then adjusted.

The compliance date, as I recall, was October 2015 when everyone was supposed to be on EMV processing. October 2017 was when gas pumps were supposed to be EMV compliant.. How many gas pumps have you seen that are EMV compliant? This has been pushed to October 2020 now.

there are penalties for merchants who are not EMV compliant.. Basically, you go somewhere with a chip card, and they still swipe it, meaning they aren't setup to accept EMV transactions.. They'll lose a contested charge. Had one restaurant, guy had a $50 charge, they weren't EMV compliant, he filed a chargeback.. He won. They had him on camera with the signed voucher.. Still lost.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 AM

19,428 posts, read 27,798,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Chip and Pin works fine in Europe (And South America for that matter) as well.. We're not in Europe.

How many places do you still go to that have a chip reader where you're told "Oh, you have to swipe"?

Due to tipping, it's different in the US. Transaction has to be run, then adjusted.
Not TOO many places in U.S. that I've had to swipe except some of the cheaper, ethnic restaurants, dollar stores, and places that are seriously considering closing that location (i.e. Kroger announced last month they were closing here. It was predictable because they never upgraded the cc machines in most local locations.)

Umm, we had no problems adding a tip to any transaction in Europe and only encountered chip readers - hand held one's in restaurants.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,990,148 times
Would be VERY costly for US restaurants to go to tableside handheld readers. Most Restaurants above the mom&pop sized one use Point Of Sales order entry system, with the swiper's build into it.

Would be a major investment in dollars to go to handheld, The Replacement/Fix/Operation cost of them would be higher on the handhelds also as they are moving around hundreds of times per day, and going to get dropped, spilled on, etc.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,213,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Would be VERY costly for US restaurants to go to tableside handheld readers. Most Restaurants above the mom&pop sized one use Point Of Sales order entry system, with the swiper's build into it.

Would be a major investment in dollars to go to handheld, The Replacement/Fix/Operation cost of them would be higher on the handhelds also as they are moving around hundreds of times per day, and going to get dropped, spilled on, etc.

Wear and tear has actually been less of a problem in my experience. Yes, of course, anything that is going to be in the customers hands tends to have more wear and tear on it.. The biggest problem has been that the interfaces are changing every 10 seconds. So, a POS developer (like us) writes in code to integrate with it, and it's deployed, a few bugs are worked out.. Then the interface changes.

You are absolutely correct about cost. the EMV terminals at a register aren't really that bad. Most processors (Sterling, Vantiv, First Data, etc) actually subsidize those so the expense isn't too horribly bad. But the entire pay at table system.. That's basically full price. If you have 20 tables in your restaurant.. That's 20 devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel