Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Hotel am Triller in Saarbrucken, Germany. I stayed up all night writing code so the product I was testing in a German telecom lab would get certified to attach to their phone network.

Over the years, I’ve had the occasional loud neighbors at hotels. Annoying when it happens but they either quiet down or get kicked out eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - London has some cheap hotels like every city but a coin fed meter.

Why didn't you just stay in a Premier Inn or Travelodge.
It’s been ages but I remember Brit hotels and B&Bs with coin fed electric heaters.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:03 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
This is a story about my dad, not me, but I was there. As a teenager I went to the UK with my parents for my mom's dream 10 day whirlwind around Great Britain. We stayed 3 nights in London then drove around, stopping at pre-arranged B&Bs each night in different towns. This was in 1985.

I forget which town it was (somewhere in Scotland), but my dad loved going to the pubs at night while my mom and I were settling down to sleep. Little did he know, the B&B locked its doors after a certain hour, so rather than wake up the whole house, he spent the night in our rented Renault Alliance car. My dad was 6'5", 220 lbs. Needless to say, he didn't sleep all night. My mom woke up at some point, when my dad stumbled to the room in the early hours of the morning to snag a couple hours of sleep before we moved on to the next town. He was in bad shape the next day. I remember taking a walk along the desolate beach with my mom for a couple of hours, giving him time. We checked out the beached old ships that must have been there for decades.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:34 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Any US motel that is in a city that is hosting any kind of youth sports tournament, or cheerleading competition, etc.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s been ages but I remember Brit hotels and B&Bs with coin fed electric heaters.
LOL - that must have been a long time ago and the hotels and B&B's must have been on the downmarket side.

People tend to just scan everything using their phones and cards these days and the idea of using conusd in to a meter would seem laughable to the current generation.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
Stayed in a Residence Inn near Palm Springs. It was in March so not particularly hot yet. But the room A/C was controlled by a motion sensor that would turn the A/C off if it didn't sense anyone in the room for about one hour. BUT, the sensor was in the living room so it would not sense people or activity at night while sleeping in the bedroom. And thus the A/C would turn off several times during the night and the room would become hot and stuffy to the point where the family would wake up and someone had to walk into the living room to set off the motion sensor. Couldn't imagine staying there in the July or August heat.

Complained vociferously to the mgmt and gave a very negative review on a social media travel site.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:05 PM

9 posts, read 6,741 times
For me it was in a rather nice hotel in Norway. It was an idyllic location and the hotel was lovely. The bed was perfection, the bedding clean and fresh and crisp. Everything was going splendidly. But, across the road from the hotel was a campsite. Around 9-10pm a lot of loud motorbikes pulled into the campsites. Within 20 minutes or so, the music started. And the music did not stop. All night. Heavy metal type music which then segwayed into a loud drunken chorus line of mostly overweight middle aged male bikers (they appeared to be singing in German so possibly German or Austrian). As the campsite was nothing to do with the hotel, the hotel could do nothing. Earplugs didn't help. The whole hotel vibrated. The police did eventually arrive but nothing seemed to happen. Around 5am-6am, they seemed to all pass out and eventually there was silence.

Everyone at breakfast the next day looked like zombies, with the bags under their eyes falling down to their knees. I'm not a violent person, but I did wish the most unspeakable things would befall those bikers.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
A fresh nest of spiders or bedbugs newly hatched in between my bedsheets in Delray Florida at 2 am. Housekeeping came n got 'em but I still couldn't rest.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrun_sf View Post
For me it was in a rather nice hotel in Norway. It was an idyllic location and the hotel was lovely. The bed was perfection, the bedding clean and fresh and crisp. Everything was going splendidly. But, across the road from the hotel was a campsite. Around 9-10pm a lot of loud motorbikes pulled into the campsites. Within 20 minutes or so, the music started. And the music did not stop. All night. Heavy metal type music which then segwayed into a loud drunken chorus line of mostly overweight middle aged male bikers (they appeared to be singing in German so possibly German or Austrian). As the campsite was nothing to do with the hotel, the hotel could do nothing. Earplugs didn't help. The whole hotel vibrated. The police did eventually arrive but nothing seemed to happen. Around 5am-6am, they seemed to all pass out and eventually there was silence.

Everyone at breakfast the next day looked like zombies, with the bags under their eyes falling down to their knees. I'm not a violent person, but I did wish the most unspeakable things would befall those bikers.
I keep dreaming that Noise Lawsuits will be the wave of the future. One older woman in Florida actually did that, filed a noise lawsuit against a teenager that kept coming down her street with a loud, thumping boom car, not sure how the case turned out.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
There's probably been a bunch in my experience. The more recent one that comes to mind is staying in a hot room located above a nightclub (in South America, no less, where nightclubs don't close early.)

Nowadays I travel with earplugs and eye masks, which are sufficient to block out enough so it doesn't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel