Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
200 posts and no one has yet to mention DISNEY! I absolutely hate it. I cant figure out why adults will return there year after year. (I dislike ESPN too, but that's another topic)

Likewise, Las Vegas. Buildings and fake experiences that the visitors lost money has built. Total lunacy.
Die, Disney Die! Burn, Vegas Burn!

I completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I fly only Business Class on long hauls. That means Australia is off my bucket list- the airfares are extortion. I just got back from Edinburgh and Paris and airfare was over half the cost of the trip but it was worth it.
I will trade the expense of business class for the opportunity to go to Australia or whatever.

Quote:
Finally- I VASTLY prefer traveling on my own to guided tours. I chose a small-group tour for India and Nepal because I'd been to India a lot on business and knew it wasn't a good place for a single woman to be bopping around alone. It was a wonderful trip but I didn't like that much structure. When I tell people I went to places like Scotland or Iceland on my own they react as if I'd gone on a solo kayak trip down the Amazon.
Yes, I don’t like tours. I much prefer striking out on my own.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Die, Disney Die! Burn, Vegas Burn!

I completely agree.

I hate Disney but I have a soft spot for Las Vegas, as it's been a convenient meet up spot with friends of mine who live all over the country, and I've been to Vegas 15 times. (Please don't put that on my tomb stone as I'm not proud of it!) It's inauthentic, gawdy, and loud, but Vegas has great restaurants and is an enormous amount of fun for a weekend, especially during football season if you're into sports betting. To be clear it is very far from my favorite U.S. city, but it serves a purpose.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
A lot of museums are boring which is something you quicly learn as a child when you are forced to visit them as part of school trip and then write an essay about the visit just to make you haye museums even more.

I will also add a lot of global well known landmarks rarely look as impressive in real life.

I also agree regarding cruise ship and Las Vegas.

Modern cruise ships are just a holiday inn and shopping mall cobined, with a bit of live entertainment.

The entertainment is also usually equally uninspiring.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:22 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A lot of museums are boring which is something you quicly learn as a child when you are forced to visit them as part of school trip and then write an essay about the visit just to make you haye museums even more.

I will also add a lot of global well known landmarks rarely look as impressive in real life.

I also agree regarding cruise ship and Las Vegas.

Modern cruise ships are just a holiday inn and shopping mall cobined, with a bit of live entertainment.

The entertainment is also usually equally uninspiring.
I find most landmarks look the same as in the picture, but what's the point of getting there to see the real one?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I like museums. I have spent many wonderful afternoons wandering through museums of various types. I go to art museums of different types, natural history, specialized history, etc. I love them all.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
It's inauthentic, gawdy, and loud, but Vegas has great restaurants and is an enormous amount of fun for a weekend, especially during football season if you're into sports betting. To be clear it is very far from my favorite U.S. city, but it serves a purpose.
Absolutely. I love going to Vegas, but I can only stomach 2 or 3 nights per trip.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Absolutely. I love going to Vegas, but I can only stomach 2 or 3 nights per trip.

I'm with you Ferraris. I have had a blast every time that I've visited Vegas for a weekend, but I'm always ready to go home on Sunday night or Monday morning. Have recently started visiting sights outside of the city such as Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam, which were excellent.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I find most landmarks look the same as in the picture, but what's the point of getting there to see the real one?

You think seeing a picture of the Parthenon is the same experience as being there? I sure don't.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's okay to get a taste of home while on the road. Popping into a Subway or Burger King every once in a while is a nice treat of something familiar, despite many people rolling their eyes that someone would dare eat there while traveling in overseas foodie destinations.

I remember stumbling upon a Taco Bell after almost a month in Korea, I almost had tears in my eyes.
After 2 weeks in Vietnam, my husband and I were craving pizza. We're from NY ... the pizza in Vietnam was horrible lol but we were craving Western food so bad !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel