Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 06:32 AM

985 posts, read 1,009,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Good idea, let's let this one go.

Yes PLEASE stop with the train versus bus stuff. Continue your discussion off long if necessary. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:47 AM

6,600 posts, read 8,946,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Parents who bring their babies as "lap children" are horribly selfish. If you "can't afford" a seat for your baby, don't fly.
In 2 seater rows, I don't think it matters much other than the parent's and kid's comfort, which the parents are probably the best to judge.

It also depends on the age. An 8 week old probably isn't going to get any use from their own seat and will just stay in their parents arms the entire time. An 8 month old could go either way. An 18 month old is pretty likely to be squirming about all over (but again, they'd probably be squirming in their own seat, too, so I think it's fair to leave it up to the parents to decide).

Full disclosure, I am a parent but have never flown with kids yet.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 AM

27,044 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
Indeed, the bus can take as long as the train. That is why you cannot claim the train is 2-3x faster like you did, because it depends and yes there are countries with poor train service and poor roads where the bus is faster.

You completely misunderstood. You were disparaging bus travel by pointing out the poor condition of some Greyhound stations in USA, yet somehow the state of India train stations (which can be far worse) are given a free pass. If we're criticizing a method of transportation because of poor stations then include the poor train stations all over the world too.

Here is the bus schedule from Cluj to Budapest (which isn't in Bulgaria):

Here is the train:

Clearly similar trip times can be achieved with the bus, and high speed rail map of Europe you posted shows this route (and many others) as the gray "less than 200 km/h" speed which of course would include a train moving along at a crawl. It doesn't bolster your case here.

I never mentioned a preference. Pointing out you have your facts wrong when saying trains are 2-3x faster and always have better seating options doesn't mean I endorse one method of traveling over the other. Some trains are faster, some are not. Some trains have better seating, some do not.

I do not prefer buses over trains. This is a recording.
So your whoile argument hinges on the fact that some countries don't have good rail systems, although I think you will find that there are good train connections in Eastern Europe and they are investing in high speed rail. You can also catch a superb railjet from Budapest to Vienna and there are good services to Germany, and the high speed Budapest-Bulgrade line is the first stage of the new Budapest–Belgrade–Skopje–Athens railway.

Budapest–Belgrade railway - Wikipedia

The price of the bus and train on the route you mention is also very similar.

There are 7 ways to get from Cluj-Napoca to Budapest by train, bus, rideshare, car or plane

Never in my life have I even heard anyone argue that the bus is better than the train, although now you are stating you do not prefer buses over trains after all.

Only in areas where the train service is very very poor could you make such a statement.

It's a bit like saying the roads aren't good so walking is best.

Many countries have decent train services, China with a population of 1.3 Billion has a good train service, as does a lot of the 800 million in Europe, as dor the Japanese and other Asian countries.

In terms of the best option for very long journeys it's obviously the plane, but in terms of quality of journey the ferry and train take some beating and it's not just about speed the fact you can get up and walk around and go and get some food etc is also a big factor.

I don't know what part of this you don't understand, as even with nice seats bus travel is fairly miserable when compared with options with more facilities or greater speed.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Yes PLEASE stop with the train versus bus stuff. Continue your discussion off long if necessary. Thanks guys.
I am quite happy to draw a line under this, as it was a good thread until I became embroiled in a discussion regarding buses being better than trains, which was by the way the OP's initial post as well.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 AM

722 posts, read 1,918,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
In 2 seater rows, I don't think it matters much other than the parent's and kid's comfort, which the parents are probably the best to judge.

It also depends on the age. An 8 week old probably isn't going to get any use from their own seat and will just stay in their parents arms the entire time. An 8 month old could go either way. An 18 month old is pretty likely to be squirming about all over (but again, they'd probably be squirming in their own seat, too, so I think it's fair to leave it up to the parents to decide).

Full disclosure, I am a parent but have never flown with kids yet.
I'm a parent of 4, so I have personal experience with flying with kids. The youngest I ever flew with was 6 weeks, and he did stay in his seat for most of the time. In extreme turbulence, anything (or anyone) that is not secured can become a projectile, including lap children.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Visiting small towns is more fun than big cities.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Never in my life have I even heard anyone argue that the bus is better than the train, although now you are stating you do not prefer buses over trains after all.
Your reading comprehension is quite poor.

I said about 50 times that blanket statements you're making about the train being better are false because it depends on the options available for a given route. Sometimes the train is better, sometimes the bus is better. You're repeatedly (and bizarrely) interpret this as me believing the bus is always better and I prefer the bus, which is absolutely false. You're inventing things to argue against.

So let it go dude, discussion is over. Others suggested we stop, I stopped, and you couldn't resist spinning right back up.

Argument is done, back to the thread, stop making replies to this discussion.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension is quite poor.

I said about 50 times that blanket statements you're making about the train being better are false because it depends on the options available for a given route. Sometimes the train is better, sometimes the bus is better. You're repeatedly (and bizarrely) interpret this as me believing the bus is always better and I prefer the bus, which is absolutely false. You're inventing things to argue against.

So let it go dude, discussion is over. Others suggested we stop, I stopped, and you couldn't resist spinning right back up.

Argument is done, back to the thread, stop making replies to this discussion.
What utter nonsense, you stated from the start that these luxury buses were far superior to anything and then went on and on about them.

Providing you invest properly in a train system it's going to be the better form of transport and many countries are investing heavily in high speed rail transport. Although even if the train were the same speed I would rather take it as you can stretch your egs, walk around and get something to eat and drink, indeed the ferry is far slower as I have pointed out but I would rather take a long ferry journey than a long bus journey.

I am more than happy to leave the conversation there, as you have argued a lot of nonsense for several pages.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:07 AM

985 posts, read 1,009,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What utter nonsense, you stated from the start that these luxury buses were far superior to anything and then went on and on about them.

Providing you invest properly in a train system it's going to be the better form of transport and many countries are investing heavily in high speed rail transport. Although even if the train were the same speed I would rather take it as you can stretch your egs, walk around and get something to eat and drink, indeed the ferry is far slower as I have pointed out but I would rather take a long ferry journey than a long bus journey.

I am more than happy to leave the conversation there, as you have argued a lot of nonsense for several pages.

Guys PLEASE enough with the train stuff. Stop already.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
I know I can't be the only one whose mouse is hovering over the report button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel