Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I don't care for visiting cities that much. If I happen to be in one for some reason it's nice to have places to go to pass the time but other than that I don't really have desire to make a city a destination.
Me too... I can do fine without cities. But.. If I venture onto one I can usually survive it for a Sunday / non-busy day of the week / free and available parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, not a big fan of museums, iconic buildings, theater or fine dining, huh?
That stuff is a bit too 'touristy' for me, I would rather find a manor home in the boonies, or a ghost town / energy town that was abandoned. And find the history behind that. Cities are fine (for others). Glad they enjoy them! I have found plenty of fabulous arts in small town America (Park City, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Aspen, CO...) and even more Internationally. Yes... ironic, but great performers, authors, leaders... often originate (and enjoy) the countryside too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Car/motel is cheaper than RV travel.
And Free (a REALLY big no-no on C-D...)- $20 / night worldwide guesthomes are cheaper and a LOT more interesting / educational / fun / adventurous... (that is the rate for the WHOLE family, and usually includes a meal or two... )

Traveling with a purpose to engage with and assist locals ! OMG!!! heaven forbid!

(Hint' millions of us do this everyday, and have for centuries before 'tourism' / 'trendy' travel. )

Change your plans to stay and help others?

Work / get paid to travel !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
My unpopular opinion is that I think it's ok not to totally immerse yourself into the places you visit. Immersion is a matter of degree and it's up to the individual tourist to decide how much to try to experience the local cuture in an authentic way, as opposed to sticking to tourist activities.

I agree. I'm pretty introverted, shy and awkward so I need small doses.

---
It doesn't bother me to go to places when it's hot. People were like, "Why are you going to TX in July? It's so HOT!" Well, why not? I'd rather go somewhere HOT than somewhere COLD.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I thought Italy sucked but can't say that to anyone cuz everyone loooves Italy. Really it was the Italians that made it miserable. Really looked forward to going there, heard great things, but 90% of the people were rude, tried to rip us off overcharging, when I smiled and was polite they glared and were rude. But I got some insight on why New Jersey people act the way they do.
I went to Italy last month and I couldn't agree more.

I won't go back.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
It doesn't bother me to go to places when it's hot. People were like, "Why are you going to TX in July? It's so HOT!" Well, why not? I'd rather go somewhere HOT than somewhere COLD.
Do you live somewhere cool?

I got the opposite reaction when I went to Iceland this summer. "Isn't it cold there? Why would you want to go somewhere cold in the summer? Why not go to the beach??". Because its 102* at home, and a few weeks away from the intense heat sounds amazing.

Not that I don't like the heat, but its nice to get a break from it.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioFalcone View Post
i will start

Bus is better than trains
That depends on where you live. In Europe, you can hop on a train and be in another country within two hours at a very affordable price.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:28 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Parisians are generally friendly.

Helsinki is a nice place to visit.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:32 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Oklahoma is the exception.
Not true. Good steak and BBQ there. The Ouachita Mountains and the buttes in the panhandle are neat too. There's also the Oklahoma City Memorial, plus two college towns with good football programs. And Rocklahoma is an nnual music festival where people can still hear actual rock music with guitars, which Top 40 radio refuses to play anymore.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Not true. Good steak and BBQ there. The Ouachita Mountains and the buttes in the panhandle are neat too. There's also the Oklahoma City Memorial, plus two college towns with good football programs. And Rocklahoma is an nnual music festival where people can still hear actual rock music with guitars, which Top 40 radio refuses to play anymore.
Having lived in Texas for many years before moving to Oklahoma, I have to lower my expectations of steak and BBQ.

Better college towns and football programs in Texas, too.

The Ouachita Mountains are okay, but most of them are in Arkansas, not Oklahoma.

Every not so small city has some boring museums, memorials, and festivals. We don't bother to visit OKC even though it's only 2 hours drive.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Traveling generally sucks - it's all about using up barrels of oil and then claiming how you've found a great and clean place. Meanwhile, the world heats up and people die of respiratory illnesses.

It's a simple formula. What if everyone in the world went everywhere in the world? We're only about 1/10th of the way there and it sux already.

People wax poetic about Italy. I'm of Italian ancestry. There is a reason that so many Italians left the place....but they turned it into a tourist trap and now people really think they are going somewhere authentic.

The best thing you can do for the world is to stay close to home.

I'm sure that is very unpopular because people don't want to realize they are using many times their weight in fossil fuels to visit somewhere. But then they recycle a plastic water bottle that was flown from Fiji and pat themselves on the back for their sustainability.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
And people shouldnt get ripped off at national parks. I heard Yosemite is 30 $..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel