Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,971,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And people shouldnt get ripped off at national parks. I heard Yosemite is 30 $..
It costs money to maintain the National Parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:34 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,838 times
Bring your own blankets if you want to stay warm.

I have several travel blankets and a 5 piece sleeping bag kit I take with me depending on the climate. It amazes me how hotels and AirBnB's think one light comforter will do the trick. Many travelers forget that the need for a good night's SLEEP doesn't go out the window just because you are traveling.

Case in point :

I was in Acapulco recently in an AirBnB rental. High heat and humidity caused me to sleep with AC on. Can you imagine sleeping with AC and only one thin blanket ? I can't !

Old 07-23-2018, 12:04 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
He should consider hanging around for harvest / barn raisings / parades / Ice Cream socials / school fund raisers / or other community events. He would definitely become 'cultured' and educated.

There are reasons people live in 'fly-over' country. I find it a informational and enlightening to ask why!

Most of my coworkers hang around the hotel and eat at chain feeding troughs. (they complain a lot, and can't wait to 'retreat' home to their 'safe-place'... the ultimate in insecurity...)

I stay on farms and assist with milking and chores (and am still ready to be at work at 8AM). I find it very interesting. (and cultured).

This another unpopular opinion... people are often more important to understand than the places (while traveling)

50+ yrs of doing this, no ill affects, yet... Maybe tomorrow

I'll take my chances and enjoy the new people I meet everyday. (Rather then the same ole hotel walls / staff / clientele... rushing to flee back to my home. )
Like most people, he doesn't want to work when he's on vacation.

Also, when he's traveling for work, I doubt his employer allows him to work on farms on their dime, lol.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It costs money to maintain the National Parks.
When it comes to national parks, the admission fee is negligible.

I haven't been to Yellowstone yet because I can't afford the lodging there.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM

10,309 posts, read 13,843,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
He should consider hanging around for harvest / barn raisings / parades / Ice Cream socials / school fund raisers / or other community events. He would definitely become 'cultured' and educated.

There are reasons people live in 'fly-over' country. I find it a informational and enlightening to ask why!

Most of my coworkers hang around the hotel and eat at chain feeding troughs. (they complain a lot, and can't wait to 'retreat' home to their 'safe-place'... the ultimate in insecurity...)

I stay on farms and assist with milking and chores (and am still ready to be at work at 8AM). I find it very interesting. (and cultured).

This another unpopular opinion... people are often more important to understand than the places (while traveling)

50+ yrs of doing this, no ill affects, yet... Maybe tomorrow

I'll take my chances and enjoy the new people I meet everyday. (Rather then the same ole hotel walls / staff / clientele... rushing to flee back to my home. )
How do you arrange staying on farms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Experiencing the way locals live when you go to some sort of third world country is actually quite depressing and potentially detrimental to your health, lol.

Paid to be tortured.
You don't have to experience everything, just see a bit more of the country. Staying at the Marriot and barely leaving the grounds isn't experiencing the country.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 12,409,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I was in Acapulco recently in an AirBnB rental. High heat and humidity caused me to sleep with AC on. Can you imagine sleeping with AC and only one thin blanket ? I can't !
I always sleep with the AC on in the summer and usually kick the blanket off.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 07-23-2018, 01:03 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,655,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Italy turned itself as a whole country into a humongous tourist trap.
That is true of the major check-off places: Florence in particular, Venice, Milan. If you spend more than one or two nights in these places you will be wondering where your money went. Rome is pretty unavoidable and it can be a $$ trap as well but it might be worth a few extra dollars. Find a place outside the tourist bubble and you might be surprised. In fact...avoid the tour group bubble and explore on your own.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:43 PM

8,490 posts, read 3,312,724 times
Unpopular opinion (if you are a cruise ship passenger): Cruise ships and Europe do not mix.

Popular opinion (if you are a non-cruise ship tourist or shopkeeper or local resident); Cruise ships and Europe do not mix

Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM

29,476 posts, read 22,494,633 times
I don't believe that dressing well will earn you an upgrade or any favors when flying. Though I have read that some appeared to have been upgraded for being well dressed.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM

8,490 posts, read 3,312,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't believe that dressing well will earn you an upgrade or any favors when flying. Though I have read that some appeared to have been upgraded for being well dressed.
Moi. Club Class on British Air, which is said to be unpenetrable from coach. Return flight to the US. Dressed in a long linen skirt worn with a completely fresh linen blouse and topped off with a hat, while surrounded in line by a sea of passengers wearing sweat shirts and leggings. (Admittedly, I held an economy plus ticket.)

Leading to ...

Unpopular travel opinion: Business class is always better than coach. (That flight in particular? Travel chaos.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel