Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times

Advertisements

Most of the liquor stores with a decent wine selection around here usually have 1-3 types of Vinho Verde available. Usually next to the Spanish wines, nice chilled on a hot day when you want something lighter than beer, say for a bbq.

Didn't realize there were Nando's restaurants in the US, their Piri Piri sauce is the only one I've found on the shelves on a few US supermarkets. It's not my favorite tbh & I believe it's actually (South?) African in origin & doing their variation of piri piri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:35 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,852,784 times
Nandos are popping up more places. We have one in the downtown of our Chicago suburb. Their food is fine, but after having the piri piri chicken I had in Lisbon, I'm ruined.

https://frangasqueira-nacional.negocio.site/

This place was insanely delicious. The tastiest meal I had in the whole week we were there.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
They do have them in this restaurant called Nando's that is there in Chi (can you tell I was seriously on the look out for them upon returning? ). Do NOT eat them from there.

They have them in a place here in ATL as well...also horrible.

In conclusion, you're lucky they have them at the place I mentioned...again, they taste just like the ones in Portugal. (My job is located in Chi and next time I come up there for work I might just have to stop there and bring some back home. There and Eataly for some of their mini desserts...)
The nearest pasteis de nata to my house is 1.2 miles. Belem is better because they’re such high volume that they are always hot out of the oven. At my local bakery, they have usually been sitting in the case for a couple of days. They’re also not as creamy as Belem.

We buy an Alentejo red called Vinha do Monte for $58 per case at a local liquor store.

Where I am is more Azores Islands than mainland Portuguese. The cuisine is a bit different from Lisbon.

I’d kill for a plate of petinga caught that day, lightly floured, and fried. Sardines here are frozen and they’re the large ones you grill.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The nearest pasteis de nata to my house is 1.2 miles. Belem is better because they’re such high volume that they are always hot out of the oven. At my local bakery, they have usually been sitting in the case for a couple of days. They’re also not as creamy as Belem.

We buy an Alentejo red called Vinha do Monte for $58 per case at a local liquor store.

Where I am is more Azores Islands than mainland Portuguese. The cuisine is a bit different from Lisbon.

I’d kill for a plate of petinga caught that day, lightly floured, and fried. Sardines here are frozen and they’re the large ones you grill.
Wait...you live in Portugal?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
We, too, love Portugal. We rented a car and drove from Lisbon to Cascáis and Obidos, then spent a couple of days in Nazare and Evora. The waves in Nazare are amazing. On the way to Evora is a historical site with standing stones that are older than Stonehenge. You walk down a rutted path to a hill in the middle of a field and a nearby cork forest.

And if you like Portugal, definitely visit the Azores. They are fabulous!

Old 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times
You know what? I was contemplating doing a 10-12 day visit back to Europe this October and had my mind set on returning to Paris for sure, but now I think I might want to return to Portugal instead.

Both places I've only spent a few days in and need a longer "do-over". The draw to Paris was primarily the food (and museums; also possibly trying out some nightlife?) but the Portuguese are so friendly and there are so many beautiful places to see, not to mention I like the food there as well personally. A bit difficult of a decision but this thread has me thinking I should go back to Portugal!

Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread kicked my wanderlust into high gear. Recently, my boyfriend and I have been discussing ideas for our next travel adventure, and Portugal has been on our radar. We've been thinking about spending a couple nights in Lisbon and then going on to Sao Miguel Island in the Azores for several days of hiking and exploring.

The posts in this thread really have me thinking that a Portugal + Azores trip should move to the top of our wish list!

Has anyone here spent time in the Azores?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
This thread kicked my wanderlust into high gear. Recently, my boyfriend and I have been discussing ideas for our next travel adventure, and Portugal has been on our radar. We've been thinking about spending a couple nights in Lisbon and then going on to Sao Miguel Island in the Azores for several days of hiking and exploring.

The posts in this thread really have me thinking that a Portugal + Azores trip should move to the top of our wish list!

Has anyone here spent time in the Azores?

No but my well traveled cousin in Ireland really likes it & goes often. He also likes Madeira.(One of my other younger cousins there likes northern PT best. Porto?)

Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
An Azores trip report would be welcome. I have it on my bucket list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel