Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:52 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times

Advertisements

Highly recommend Portugal. We spent 7 nights in Lisbon in a huge apartment off of Praca de Figuiera.

Lisbon is absolutely alive and stunning. Despite eating and drinking well, I came back down a pound due to the constant uphill and downhill walking. I must have gone 250 floors in the 7 days.

We went to Sintra twice and Cascais once - riding bikes to Guincho Beach. Lovely beach and hardly anyone was there on a weekday in perfect weather.

Don't be too afraid of the young men asking if you want drugs. They aren't scary and leave you alone with one firm "no".

Food there is pretty simple overall, and tasty. Pastries EVERYWHERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:03 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Glad you had a fun trip....the cork trees? the fresh olives?
So much to do....in such a lovely country.

How nice to have an apt instead of hotel rm! How did you get the apt?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Don't be too afraid of the young men asking if you want drugs. They aren't scary and leave you alone with one firm "no".
Scared? What we really want to know is if the quality of their weed is any good.

Just joking I spent a couple weeks in Portugal as well and had a great time, one of the few places in Europe that still has that "old Europe" feel to it. And it's also relatively cheap. We got a "Puosada pass" when we were there and spent the week staying at old castles, abbey's, etc. Not sure if they still offer that.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Loved Lisbon, it's probably my favorite place I've ever been (although that changes with my mood!)

Old 07-25-2018, 02:04 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Glad you had a fun trip....the cork trees? the fresh olives?
So much to do....in such a lovely country.

How nice to have an apt instead of hotel rm! How did you get the apt?
Booking dot com. Place was called Lisbon Bella Vista. 1850 square feet, 3 BR, 2 BA, several balconies, two of which overlook the square. All week there was a market going on with music. An excellent serenade.

Downside was 80 stairs and no elevator. Also, the Metro runs underneath, and you can hear/feel it. But the place was beautiful, super spacious and the location was incredible, for 200 Euros a night.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Ssshhhh!

I don't want anymore people finding out about how nice Portugal is until after I buy a place in Cascais. So many folks are discovering it that the home prices keep climbing & the economy is roaring back for the locals & I can't buy right now.

Can't you just say "It's no Orlando or Branson, & lot's of people can't even speak English yet"?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Ssshhhh!

I don't want anymore people finding out about how nice Portugal is until after I buy a place in Cascais. So many folks are discovering it that the home prices keep climbing & the economy is roaring back for the locals & I can't buy right now.

Can't you just say "It's no Orlando or Branson, & lot's of people can't even speak English yet"?
The English already know, particularly in the southern coast. Go there anytime in the summer and you will be greeting with masses of pasty white brits with bad teeth and speedos. And Fish and Chips shops in every block.
But I would hope American's don't go all the way across the pond to go to a beach. The rest of Portugal is great, just avoid the southern beaches.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I don't want anymore people finding out about how nice Portugal is until after I buy a place in Cascais.
Come on man, Portugal has been the darling of the "retire overseas!" type media for quite a few years now.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
I'm so happy to read this. I am on a trans atlantic cruise next spring and plan on stopping for a few days in Lisbon on my way home from Rome.
Tap Portugal makes it easy to gap my flight from Rome

Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,490 times
Portugal is fantastic. As I said on the thread re: unpopular travel opinions, I like Portugal better than I like Spain (which is also great). Americans rarely visit Portugal, which is both good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel