Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Had asked the housekeeper in the middle of cleaning the room next door, and she screamed at us for asking for items 3 different times!!

You interrupted the maid while she was cleaning another room three times?!?!??! Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
I agree with Hertfordshire. That’s what we do.
And your final salvo the next day was pure ugliness. You can’t even blame that on a hot temper.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Couldn't believe the crazy encounter we recently had with the hotel housekeeper.

We didn't need our room cleaned, just needed towels & Kleenex.
Had asked the housekeeper in the middle of cleaning the room next door, and she screamed at us for asking for items 3 different times!!
She started yelling like a lunatic, and pointing aggressively.
She was oblivious that we were CONSIDERATE enough to not need her to clean our room! We could not believe how atrocious she was!
Complained to management who had to do some damage control. This is in the US btw.
Have never encountered such crazy behavior from hotel staff/ housekeeping & am avid traveler!

Was still sooo upset the next day, came across her just as I was about to leave the floor, and had to have the final say, "You have a terrible attitude. Hope you lose your job"

Anyone else have tense encounters with hotel staff/ housekeeping?
Charming. You really showed her, didn't you? You interrupted her three times while she's in the middle of cleaning another room, and you are surprised she got tiffed? If she was pointing, I am guessing she didn't speak English? Can't believe there are people who get off on belittling the people they see as being beneath them. She's a housekeeper with poor language skills. Let's squash her like a bug.

I could go on, based on the fact you hope this person loses their job, which is cleaning up other people's filth - but I'll keep it tame and within TOS. I've experienced atrocious customer service, and have never wished for them to lose their job. I talk to their manager and hope that it is a teachable moment, where the errant employee receives appropriate training if they are underperforming.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Couldn't believe the crazy encounter we recently had with the hotel housekeeper.

We didn't need our room cleaned, just needed towels & Kleenex.
She started yelling like a lunatic, and pointing aggressively.
She was oblivious that we were CONSIDERATE enough to not need her to clean our room! We could not believe how atrocious she was!
Complained to management who had to do some damage control. This is in the US btw.
Have never encountered such crazy behavior from hotel staff/ housekeeping & am avid traveler!

Was still sooo upset the next day, came across her just as I was about to leave the floor, and had to have the final say, "You have a terrible attitude. Hope you lose your job"

Anyone else have tense encounters with hotel staff/ housekeeping?
Sometimes like now I like to respond to an OP without reading the topic, before I've been influenced by other replies:

I think it's entirely possible the housekeeper may not have been an English speaker, and/or maybe an illegal alien with worries for job, or a new employee worried about security. Such people may not have the judgement skills to realize that worry about people stealing does not apply to hotel guests taking suppies they are entitled.

However if the housekeeper screamed as much as you said does deserve a discussion with management. Management may have erred in hiring this employee.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:37 PM

125 posts, read 64,373 times
This:

Quote:
... and had to have the final say...
... rarely ends well.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Charming. You really showed her, didn't you? You interrupted her three times while she's in the middle of cleaning another room, and you are surprised she got tiffed? If she was pointing, I am guessing she didn't speak English? Can't believe there are people who get off on belittling the people they see as being beneath them. She's a housekeeper with poor language skills. Let's squash her like a bug.

I could go on, based on the fact you hope this person loses their job, which is cleaning up other people's filth - but I'll keep it tame and within TOS. I've experienced atrocious customer service, and have never wished for them to lose their job. I talk to their manager and hope that it is a teachable moment, where the errant employee receives appropriate training if they are underperforming.
I didn't catch the interrupt 3x part. I've never interrupted a housekeeper twice unless the requested service was incomplete within a reasonable amount of time. You and I agree that poor or absent English skills may be a factor. We agree it's bad for a person to lose a job. One would hope management could deal with it by instruction and mediation rather than termination. Or training as you said.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:19 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I had an odd experience. We had a do not disturb sign on the door, but housekeeping just barged in. We told them we didn't need the room cleaned, but they just ignored us and started vacuuming. We kept saying no, but they didn't speak that much English. We finally got rid of them.

We didn't complain, that seemed mean.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 PM

255 posts, read 183,736 times
OP you probably didnt need to tell them you hope they lose Their job. That's pretty nasty... Maybe she was rude to you, but by you saying that, you look really horrible. Karma. Maybe you'll lose your job?

Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Never had that kind of problem, and never was yelled at. I usually leave a "Do not disturb" sign outside the room. I don't need fresh sheets every day and can handle towels for 2-3 days in a row. I do like some good shampoo/conditioner sample, but ask for them at the front desk if needed.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I've never had an experience like yours with a hotel housekeeper. But, I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing. I had a really stressful experience today with a social worker at my county's office, over the phone, when trying to apply for our state's version of food stamps. I'm a low income senior. They had made an appointment for me to be called by a social worker.

I got a social worker who could barely speak English. Her accent was Asian, but I'm not sure from where. Her whole demeanor was really accusatory. She'd ask me a question about income, etc., and I'd answer it and she'd basically accuse me of lying. No, actually she flat out accused me of lying.

Then, even though she had documents that proved my income from SSA, she told me the document said I didn't have the income I was claiming. I had to tell her the information was on page 2, under the bold heading for the reference she was saying wasn't there.

So, she obviously wasn't able to read or understand official documents from SSA. And she'd ask me a question, then rudely interrupt me to basically argue with me that what I was saying wasn't true, or the documents didn't back up what I was saying, without letting me finish a sentence. Plus, she was just really hard to understand.

So, I told her, I'm sorry, but you're really hard to understand, and you're not letting me speak and you're calling me a liar, so I want to talk to a supervisor. She refused to let me talk to a supervisor and get this - she actually told me that I could understand her because she was certified in English LOL. So, again, the accusation that I was lying.

So, I told her to have a supervisor call me. Again, she insisted I finish the interview with her. I said, no. I want to talk to a supervisor, and she actually hung up on me.

So, I called the office and told the receptionist that I had problems with this person, and can I please finish my application with someone else. She sent me to the social worker's supervisor. And get this, I could barely understand her either LOL. But, we did communicate at least. She still wouldn't let me switch social workers, but we agreed to just have her communicate with me via email, as we couldn't communicate over the phone.

The supervisor was difficult to understand, but was very nice. No argumentative attitude or suspicious nature. She sounded maybe Filipino, as opposed to the social worker who was maybe Chinese.

My guess, is that the way she was treating me, is the way government employees treat people in her home country. Still, she's supposed to treat me the way the county expects her to treat people here.

And, she shouldn't get angry at me for not understanding her. It's her job to improve her accent.

I have no issue with immigrants - I volunteer at an ESL Conversation group for immigrants. But, I do have an issue with any government worker who doesn't treat applicants how they're supposed to. And if they are getting paid to speak English, then they need to work on their accents so that they can be understood. It's her job to fit into the culture here - or at least at her job.

She doesn't get to be angry at me for being an American who can't understand her accent. Not if her job is to serve Americans. And again, I have no problem with immigrants coming here. But, they don't get to treat me like crap.

Some cultures are very class-oriented. And that's hard for them to let go of in America. In her mind, no doubt, I am of a lower class because I'm poor. And she's a higher class because she has a government job. But, she probably got a dressing down from her supervisor today. Hopefully, she'll learn.

But, I'm not going to let anyone treat me like garbage, whether or not they understand my culture or whatever. So, long story, but, OP I get it. The housekeeper needs to learn a better way to deal with guests. Even if it means learning to say, "I'm sorry sir, I can't help you right now, but if you tell me which room number you're in, I'll get those items to you as soon as I finish my other rooms," etc. In other words, it's her job to serve you or at least give you good customer service even if she is saying "no" in a nice way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel