Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think the OPs limiting factor is that he or she wants to use award travel points. It also seems the only points that she has accumulated to any degree of usefulness is Delta (so Delta and their travel partners).

That limits the choices considerably.
Agree.

However, let me mention this:

I was trying to accumulate points specifically for going to Africa. Did you see I had planned on flying first class on Emirates? I simply can't do that without paying for the flight in points.

If I'm not going to go to Africa, I don't really care about using points as if it's going to be a sub-$2k flight, I'm probably fine with just paying for it out of pocket. The routing above to Africa would be I don't know how many thousands of dollars out of pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In terms of award flights you are likely to have the same issues, particularly around the holidays. You really need to book that award travel as soon as possible, a year early. But you know, I fly with Delta and I know some tricks to find award travel - alternative routes, etc. If you are using the Delta websight also it's not always correct, you have to call them. If you have a upper level delta FF card you have special numbers to call...they will work with you and can look at routes not available on the site. It's not easy, but you have to know the tricks. If you check the schedules and it doesn't work, you call them again a week later. Your schedule above is much to complex to use award seats even in the best of opportunity times. Sometimes you have to make use of the routes available and plan your vacation around it, other than the other way around - airline has to book the award travel with a route going through CDG with a day layover? - OK then you have a free day in Paris.

Warm routes will all be booked. Hawaii forget it. After the holidays in winter usually works for Europe because it's off season. Portugual and Greece might work.
So if I'm not going to do the Africa itinerary I can just pay for the flight outright to go somewhere else. The Africa itinerary is just extremely costly in terms of flight prices which is why I was trying to accumulate enough points to cover the flights there.

Thank you for the Delta tips!

Old 07-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
For January have you considered the possibility of South America? I was thinking Costa Rica for beaches, or maybe even Panama City, and then further south to Buenos Aires and/or Lima.

BA has amazing food/culture/activities/nightlife and wine. Don't even get Portenos started about wine. It is incredibly cheap right now with the devaluation of their currency. Lima has an amazing food scene, piscos and world class museums. The whole trip wouldn't destroy your mileage balances, and you could check a whole different continent off your bucket list. Also while in Argentina if you want to add some outdoors, there's always places like Iguazu, the largest collection of waterfalls in the world.

I hadn't thought of South America...

Actually I went to Aruba last month (a major bust of a trip unfortunately) and was supposed to go to Quito while there but couldn't work it out to go. I did a layover in Panama City a few years ago for just a short tour of the historic area so that's the extent of my exposure to and (practically knowledge of) Panama.

BA sounds fun and Lima is definitely on my bucket list so I'm willing to do more research into this region of the world.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:46 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
What was the allure of SA? Who are your points with? With that, we can help give you better ideas.

I don't understand the allure of SA either. Very far to travel for a beach.

SA's history is troubling to me. I have known of people who were attracted to SA for all the wrong reasons.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
South Africa isn't THAT warm, you know. Joburg is an elevated city (low 80s highs and low 60s lows in the summer) and Cape Town is right by the water where most summer days are in the high 70s. Both are very comfortable weather-wise but you seem to imply that you're a heat lover. Singapore may be more your thing.

Dubai is a ripoff. Also, racist people and a racist culture from the top down. I wouldn't spend a dime in Dubai if my life depended on it. Their workers from South Asia and Southeast Asia are treated like slaves.

May I suggest Singapore, Malaysia, Bali . All hot and tropical and guaranteed to make you sweat.
Dubai does not attract me either, for the reasons you mentioned.

May I suggest Hawaii?

Old 07-27-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Dubai does not attract me either, for the reasons you mentioned.

May I suggest Hawaii?
Regarding Dubai:
Ok so I planned to layover there because you'll see from my post above I hoped to fly Emirates. So ultimately that means a layover in Dubai. But I planned it this way because I only wanted one stop between the US and Seychelles. With Emirates I can go from the US to Seychelles with one stop-in Dubai. I figured the Dubai stop would be a good point to just get off and rest through the night. When I get up the next day I can fly direct on a 4 hour flight from Dubai to Seychelles. I kinda prefer to break up the trip this way: with one stop between the US and Africa that includes one night of rest in between. Honestly, I don't "have" to spend a night in Dubai at all-I primarily just want to see Seychelles and Cape Town. I just thought it would be a good place to stop and rest then continue the remainder of the trip. (I also realllly really wanted to fly Emirates fyi).

Maui/The Big Island is on the list as a possible alternative, but it's not high on the list fyi. I have been to Oahu/Kauai already so was trying to avoid Hawaii in general, particularly because I find their water to be too cool outside of the summer months (I like to spend a good deal of time in the water). Other than that I do absolutely adore/love Hawaii.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:35 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
If you like Hawaii but want warmer water, have you considered Fiji? The snorkeling there is unbelievably good, and the water's warmer than Hawaii.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:36 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
I would skip Johannesburg. Not safe, and very little to do there, other than transit through.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you like Hawaii but want warmer water, have you considered Fiji? The snorkeling there is unbelievably good, and the water's warmer than Hawaii.
I hadn't thought about it actually...

Up until a few years ago, Bora Bora was my absolute #1 dream destination on the bucket list. Surprisingly it's fallen way down only because when I travel lately I typically want an itinerary that is the beach "plus" access to other things to do.

I have heard Fiji is absolutely amazing...although not sure what things there are to do that don't surround ocean related activities (?) May be worth some research...

Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
My experience with FF miles is the same as a dD714 - your itinerary is too complicated and I don't Think those miles will actually be enough once you actually start to book.I

Personally, I don't **** away FF miles(or money) on 1st class plane seats.
I disagree with others about Dubai. It's certainly worth going to for a couple of days. It's expensive, but fascinating - the buildings, the peoole, the culture, the markets. It's also a great way to break up the long flight to S.A.

Skip J-burg for reasons states by others. Cape town is one of our very best trips ever. Beautiful city, lots to do and see, lovely people and food/drink is INCREDIBLY cheap. Hundreds of nearby wineries in expansive, lovely estates. I'd spend all of your time in the Western Cape (except for two days in Dubai) and include a trip down the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth on a small group your so someone else drives - the scenery is stunningly beautiful. That's about 3-4 days. From PE, it's easy to do a 3-4 day safari. fly back to Cape town to home.

Now THAT'S what I'd call an amazing trip for a 40th birthday. (PS if you want a travel agent to put this together for you, let me know and I'll dig it out.)

Thailand would be an excellent second choice.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-28-2018 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel