Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

Last year I visited Spain where I rented a car. Later after returning back home I received a traffic ticket. I paid the ticket via their online payment website. I had made copies of Confirmation of paying the ticket, which I now cannot find and, as I am planning to return to Spain later this month, I was wondering whether I can expect immigration to give me a hard time if for some reason they don't show this particular ticket as being paid? I was planning to take copies of my Confirmation of Payment to present to immigration if needed, but I can't find it, so ... Does their immigration even bother checking this kind of thing?

You know how governments are. It took them 9 months to send me the ticket in the first place. It could take them another 9 months before they update their system showing that I paid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
I guess not.

If you are really anxious about it, you can enter another European country first so you won't be scrutinized by immigration officers in Spain.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM

35,065 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Deal with the Spanish consulate in San Fransisco (link to website). They should be able to help.

As an aside in November 1976 when I was driving from Montreal to Ithaca, New York I received a ticket, and paid it. The people on my dorm floor thought I was crazy for paying it. Now, New York has moving violation reciprocity only with Quebec, Ontario and no U.S. states.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Last year I visited Spain where I rented a car. Later after returning back home I received a traffic ticket. I paid the ticket via their online payment website. I had made copies of Confirmation of paying the ticket, which I now cannot find and, as I am planning to return to Spain later this month, I was wondering whether I can expect immigration to give me a hard time if for some reason they don't show this particular ticket as being paid? I was planning to take copies of my Confirmation of Payment to present to immigration if needed, but I can't find it, so ... Does their immigration even bother checking this kind of thing?

You know how governments are. It took them 9 months to send me the ticket in the first place. It could take them another 9 months before they update their system showing that I paid it.
If you lost the original documents, your credit card company should still have record of this payment.

Just curious..I'm assuming this a red-light or speed camera that issued the ticket? I agree about going to the Spanish consulate website and see if you can get confirmation of your inquiry and better yet, try to talk to someone. Or, see if you can have another validated (Paid in full)copy sent to you from Spain.

Immigration MAY hound you about it, that's even if they have a record, or they could detain you. Then again, they may not care...it's hard to tell.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:06 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Sounds like you're doing everything right...and good ideas on checking with the consulate and tracking it via your credit/debit card statement.

My guess is the worst case scenario would be that immigrations would delay you, possibly pull you out of line, and then probably let you go or somehow force you to pay the ticket again. Not sure how Spanish immigration is -- but in South America it is not uncommon to hear of immigration "finding something" and then requesting some cash to make the issue go away. Good old fashioned payola.

I bet you're in good shape . Good thinking to check on it though!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Sounds like you're doing everything right...and good ideas on checking with the consulate and tracking it via your credit/debit card statement.

My guess is the worst case scenario would be that immigrations would delay you, possibly pull you out of line, and then probably let you go or somehow force you to pay the ticket again. Not sure how Spanish immigration is -- but in South America it is not uncommon to hear of immigration "finding something" and then requesting some cash to make the issue go away. Good old fashioned payola.

I bet you're in good shape . Good thinking to check on it though!
Lol..I'm going to the Dominican Republic soon and was going to rent a car for a few days but after reading some stories, i declined. i'll just take a cab...

Old 08-07-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
My guess is the worst case scenario would be that immigrations would delay you, possibly pull you out of line, and then probably let you go or somehow force you to pay the ticket again.
That's my fear - being coerced into paying it twice. I'm going to try to get on their transit website again and see if I can't figure out how to check the status of it. Last time I looked there didn't seem to be any way to do that.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Just came back from my visit to Spain. I didn't have any issues with immigration going in. They simply stamped my passport and waved me in without any questions.

So.. whew, no issues with the traffic ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel