Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 PM

87 posts, read 101,925 times

Advertisements

I clean up my own mess and don’t tip. Call me what you want but everyone has their hand out for a tip now. The only person I tip are waitresses or waiters because they get paid below minimum wage. Everything else I do myself (get my own luggage, pick up my takeout, get groceries on my own). Maybe some people have lucrative money but others don’t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
....or are you a horrible person?

Considering how much people tip servers, bartenders, cab drivers, etc, I think it should be more socially unacceptable than it currently is to stiff the hotel housekeepers of the world. I'd stop hanging out with any friend who didn't give a bartender a dollar tip for grabbing two beer bottles out the cooler. Yet people think I'm nuts to leave a few bucks for the housekeeper....who does a whooooole lot more than that.

(Guys), think about all of the disgusting things you've done in hotel rooms.

Now, leaving a fiver for them is a bargain, amiright?

There is already a recent thread about this. Mods should merge it with this one...

Old 08-08-2018, 09:26 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This topic again? Didn't we just have this discussion a few months ago?

//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...om-charge.html

Federal and state laws recognizes "tipped employees". Wages and taxes for servers and certain other types of employment are adjusted for tips (they make less than minimum wages and subject to certain tax rules), so it is appropriate to tip them. Not usually the case for cleaning staff in a hotel.
Yup. And I am a very good tipper.. no need to elucidate.

But I no longer mindlessly tip people I cannot see.

Plus, if I suspect the employees are not 'legal' I will not tip as it only encourages that behavior.

Anyone who doesn't like it can pound sand.

P.S. I've never done anything even remotely disgusting in a motel/hotel room.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 08-08-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 PM

834 posts, read 528,202 times
The thought of a stranger cleaning up a bathroom after I've taken a hot shower is sad enough to leave $5.

Like a lot of people have mentioned here, I tell the housekeeper I won't be needing anything on a multi-night stay as well. I don't need the bed made mid-stay and don't want anyone near my stuff. That's no free pass for stiffing them though. That would be like not tipping a server because you didn't happen to order a salad.

For all the non-tippers who say they the shouldn't tip because the workers aren't paid $2-$3/hr like servers and bartenders are, I submit that 100% of all servers and bartenders in this country get paid more than hotel housekeepers.....after tips.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
I clean up my own mess and don’t tip. Call me what you want but everyone has their hand out for a tip now. The only person I tip are waitresses or waiters because they get paid below minimum wage. Everything else I do myself (get my own luggage, pick up my takeout, get groceries on my own). Maybe some people have lucrative money but others don’t
So after your stay you strip your beds, take bedding and towels to the laundry and take care of them, give the bathroom a deep clean. Good for you!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
So after your stay you strip your beds, take bedding and towels to the laundry and take care of them, give the bathroom a deep clean. Good for you!
Don't forget vacuuming and dusting.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:57 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
The thought of a stranger cleaning up a bathroom after I've taken a hot shower is sad enough to leave $5.
I can think of many tasks far more disgusting than cleaning a hotel bathroom (how dirty does a shower get after one or two uses anyway??)

If that's your criteria, may I suggest other workers deserving of tips to add to your list?

Day care or nursing home workers who clean up soiled diapers.
People who empty the trash receptacles and/or clean the bathrooms at any public place (fast food, gas station, rest area, movie theater, etc).
Janitors (especially in school or healthcare settings) who have to clean up someone's puke.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Should these workers be tipped? If not, why not?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've said before on one of the many topics about this.. My tip is.. They don't have to do anything while i'm there.

The DND sign goes on the door as soon as I open it, and stays throughout my stay. If I were to need extra towels, TP or whatever.. I'm usually walking down the hall when a cart is out there, i'll give a wave and say what room and that I need whatever, and pick it up off the cart.

Quite frankly, I don't want them in my room while I'm not in there and I don't expect a maid service cleaning up behind me daily. So, if I'm at a hotel for 5 nights.. They come in on the 6th day after i've checked out to get it ready for the next person and that's it.

One thing I will mention... For several years I was traveling for work and would have to do things at night. So, I was working 11pm to 8am or so. I always told the front desk that i'd be sleeping during the day, and that the DND sign would be out.. Please respect it.
That is what we always do!

I have seen so many undercover stories on how they "clean" and have even experienced it first hand one time. I had my "Do Not Disturb" sign on and left to grab a bite to eat downstairs and when I returned the maids were in my room cleaning (when they weren't even supposed to be in my room) and the cups for the coffee were laying in water filled in the sink!!! We didn't even use the cups but I guess that is what they do every time they clean the room and then consider them "clean". How nasty is that!

So yeah.....I DON't tip!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yeah, I generally leave a few bucks cash on the bed pillow. I generally do this every day if I am staying awhile. Have generally got considerably better than "normal" service.

I like the luxury of having the room cleaned by someone else, if I am on the road alone or with the wife.

So if I forget and leave some cash on the dresser by my suitcase they can take it thinking it is a tip? How the heck do they even know if it is for them? What if I wanted to leave my daughter a few bucks in the room so she can get a bite to eat when she is done at the pool (and I am at the spa). They shouldn't take anything from the room that doesn't belong to them or the hotel!

Old 08-09-2018, 09:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
While I agree that some tipping is "hand out for a tip now", such as the tip cups at delis and convenience stores, tipping hotel housekeeping staff is as old as the hills, not something new and strange.

I always tip because I feel that while that couple of bucks isn't going to make much a difference to me if I have it in my wallet or not, it might mean a lot to someone whose life sucks so much that they have to clean hotel rooms for a living. I've been broke in the past and $3 or $5 can make a difference when you are in that situation. I also feel that deliberately being cheesy and stingy to a working person less fortunate than me will come back to haunt me.

If I can afford to pay $125 for a place to sleep and take a shower (Holiday Inn Express is where I usually stay and that's about average for them, give or take depending on location and what's going on in the area at the time), I can afford a $3 or $5 tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel