Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times

Advertisements

Read the TSA rules, airline baggage rules and abide by them before even thinking of stepping foot in the airport!

Most of the other passengers on your flight will have connecting flights too. So trying to weasel your way to the front of the lines is not acceptable!

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 08-13-2018 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
This reminds me of a "blunder" we made while in Russia. We were not familiar with the money, customs, etc. We ordered up room service, then tipped the server what we thought was a fair amount. Well, it turned out we tipped him $60 worth of rubles, not the $1 or so we thought we had given. He appeared shocked, and protested no, not so much. We didn't speak a word or Russian, and he didn't speak any English. He really appeared reluctant to take the money, finally he did. When we found out our mistake later we felt a bit foolish! However, at that time -- 1998 -- Russia's economy was in a state of collapse and many people were working for nothing just to keep their jobs for better times. That amount -- $60 -- was the monthly salary of many professionals, including teachers, doctors, etc.

Well, perhaps that money was put to good use. Our lives didn't suffer for the lack of it. Just next time we visit a foreign country we will take the time to learn more about the currency, etc
...and that's how I met Vladimir Putin.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:58 PM

Additional overhead bin issue. If you can't lift it to put it in the bin yourself, check the bag. It's not the flight attendant or other passengers' job to help you lift your cargo over your head.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
...and that's how I met Vladimir Putin.

Huh?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:02 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Read the TSA rules, airline baggage rules and abide by them before even thinking of stepping foot in the airport!

Most of the other passengers on your flight will have connecting flights too. So trying to weasel your way to the front of the lines is not acceptable!
Exactly.

One time a guy pushed ahead of us with this tale about how he was going to miss his flight.

It was no big deal. We had plenty of time to spare.

But then he had two sacks of groceries. I'm not kidding. Jars of mayonnaise, pickles, cans of soup, ...

It was ridiculous.

Then he got into an argument with the TSA guy. Claimed that because they were all sealed it was okay. TSA guy wasn't having it. 3 ounces is 3 ounces.

We went onto another line.

I occasionally wonder if he missed his flight.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Additional overhead bin issue. If you can't lift it to put it in the bin yourself, check the bag. It's not the flight attendant or other passengers' job to help you lift your cargo over your head.
Not only do they need assistance getting it up there, they often are unable to get it down safely.

I've been hit several times with bags that people couldn't safely get down.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Don't roll your bag down the airplane aisle and take off your backpack so you don't smack someone with it when you turn. Also, if on a moving walkway or escalator in the airport, stay to the side so others in a hurry can pass you.
The backpack thing is a pet peeve of mine.

If you don't move out the way quick enough, you get hit with the backpack.

Then they proceed to stuff it in the overhead bin, then the rollaround. If they are carrying a bag or a coat they take up the whole bin.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
As a pedestrian, step off to the side if you want to stop walking. When exiting a store and entering the flow of pedestrian traffic, don’t stop and confer with your companions....walk with the flow. Its amazing how clueless people can be when walking in a heavy pedestrian traffic area! And, if you are walking with a few companions, its unfair to slowly walk 3-4 people abreast making it very difficult for faster walkers to overtake your group.
I totally agree. And don't forget the 90% of people who are clued to their cellphones and not paying attention. Lord forbid if they go a minute without looking at their phone. Like someone said earlier, "enjoy the moment." Respect and consideration has been thrown out the door. Universally you walk on the right side, not opposite, or taking up the entire walkway.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:23 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Amen.. I never understand what takes so long!
That is probably my biggest test of patience. I can't understand why it takes so long to get out of a plane. As soon as I get up it's a matter of seconds from the time I get my bag out of the overhead compartment and am on my merry way. I consider hurrying up good manners in a plane. Just because my connecting flight isn't leaving for a while doesn't mean I have the right to hold up other people.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Huh?
It makes a lot more sense if you've seen "Trading Places".

I just imagine Putin as an out of work KGB agent, working as a doorman, when some poor American gives him $60, and he leverages that to become the richest man in the world and the dictator of the largest country in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel