Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Birkenstocks! They are the ONLY thing that prevents my feet from being so sore daily that I used to stand on alternate feet to give one a break.

I LOVE my Birkenstocks! Buy them two -three months before your trip to break them in (they mold to your feet).
That's why they are SO comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do wonder how Europeans manage to walk so much and yet NOT wear traditional sneakers/tennis shoes? Are their shoes just "better"?

Do Americans just not have ANY shoes other than sneakers that can be walked in for more than a few blocks?
The answer is that they/we DO wear trainers (what you call sneakers), I'm not sure why the OP seems to think its somehow not the 'done thing' in Europe (I have heard this multiple times before) but it is nonsense. If I was the OP I would wear whatever I am most comfortable walking in and if that is a pair of trainers then so be it. I imagine most of the people in Europe wearing shoes are doing so because they are at/going to work for the day in which case they won't be walking very far. Ultimately this 'no trainers in Europe' thing is simply bad 'stereotyping' along with 'it always rains in London' and 'the French all ride bicycles and wear beret's'. Seriously wear what is comfortable, if you are doing a lot of walking I reckon trainers/sports shoes are the best things and if you want to 'dress up' a bit for the evening then bring some shoes if you want to (boots might be too hot for August).

Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Fashion be damned. Wear whatever shoes you have now that are super comfortable on your feet, and that allow you to walk for miles. You're not going to enjoy your European trip much if your feet and back are so sore they prevent you from walking around and actually seeing things!

(And the worst time to buy brand new walking shoes is right before a big trip. If you truly need new shoes, buy them far enough in advance of the trip that you can properly break them in.)
Yes, that.

Except nowadays shoes don’t have to be broken in. They should feel great right from the get go. I often wear Merrill walking shoes, or even hiking shoes. Comfy but they tend to wear out quick considering the cost. People wear colorful sports shoes all over the world; ignore your travel agent. Athletic shoes and “fisherman style” sandals do great. I walk everywhere. On a normal day I typically walk 3-4 miles. When traveling I often walk 10-12 miles in a day. Any good althletic shoe that is comfortable will be fine. Trail running shoes are also really great. Clarks, Ecco, and if on a budget then Sketchers also work perfectly well. Nothing at all wrong with a good pair of Nike running shoes, either.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 AM

74 posts, read 50,828 times
Hi,
In my opinion, Skechers are the best and comfortable shoes for walking. I always prefer to wear sketchers for long distance.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel