Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The clear question for the OP is why only these two distinct places? On the surface, one has nothing to do with the other. Yes I have been to both, and you are talking about two totally different travel experiences.

OP as everyone is trying to say, come back in and explain what your expectations are?

Much much more than Cape Town in SA. In fact if he or she chooses SA my recommendation would be to skip cape town and head over to Kruger, Kwa-Zulu, and the Drakensberg mtns, depending on how much time one has.

So as to why these two distinct places? actually lol no really scientific reason. We are a quartet of sorority sisters from the dark ages (go Pitt 1978).

We have been friends through all of lifes normal problems. Widowed, divorces, one is a breast cancer survivor, one lost her son to gun violence and one is doing her best Liz taylor impersonation, lol divorced #5 . The one constant has been our friendship, we've supported each other for 40 years. Anyhoo a few years ago one of our sisters (we started out with 7 of us) died suddenly while walking the dog at age 55, we decided that we would take a trip at least once a year.

Now some of them are big, when our budgets are good Paris. some are tiny when we're flat broke, play in NYC.

One person suggested South Africa and two people suggested Greece. We simply like new experiences. I will say we tend not to do tour style traveling but we are not adverse to them. We would not skip Cape town, we are all African American so for many of us Nelson Mandela is right up there with Martin. no way would we go that far and not see that history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,827 times
Animals you can view at your local zoo. But the ancient ruins and beautiful views you'd see in Greece are breathtaking.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:46 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So as to why these two distinct places? actually lol no really scientific reason. We are a quartet of sorority sisters from the dark ages (go Pitt 1978).

We have been friends through all of lifes normal problems. Widowed, divorces, one is a breast cancer survivor, one lost her son to gun violence and one is doing her best Liz taylor impersonation, lol divorced #5 . The one constant has been our friendship, we've supported each other for 40 years. Anyhoo a few years ago one of our sisters (we started out with 7 of us) died suddenly while walking the dog at age 55, we decided that we would take a trip at least once a year.

Now some of them are big, when our budgets are good Paris. some are tiny when we're flat broke, play in NYC.

One person suggested South Africa and two people suggested Greece. We simply like new experiences. I will say we tend not to do tour style traveling but we are not adverse to them. We would not skip Cape town, we are all African American so for many of us Nelson Mandela is right up there with Martin. no way would we go that far and not see that history.
I think you guys would enjoy Greece more. Tour Athens then also maybe take a ferry to Santorini and spend a few days there. South Africa is amazing but there are some issues at least from my view a decade ago - crime issues still, race issues still although it's subtle, distance if coming from the US, and the logistics are excellent but it's not really all designed for out of country visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Animals you can view at your local zoo. But the ancient ruins and beautiful views you'd see in Greece are breathtaking.
My opinion:
1.) There is no zoo equivalent to seeing animals in the wild. After going to Kruger and a few other parks in SA, I can never visit a zoo again.
2.) You like Greece, go to Egypt. In terms of ancient ruins, the Acropylis is like "ehhh".

Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Ok, sorry guys for the lack of information.

We have 7 days to go. we are flying out of Philadelphia. There are 4 of us, all ladies in our mid 50's but very active.
Love many things, beach, hiking visiting large cities etc

Would like to keep the budget at about 3,500 a person so not sure if we can fit in a safari.

I wouldn't do either for only 7 days!!

I think you would need at least 2 weeks? It's an 8 hour time difference and a 14 hour plane ride and that's if it's direct. Not sure if it is. And South Africa is an entire day ahead.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,336,502 times
With the time available (a week) Greece is the way to go. To fly all the way to SA for that time period would be an exercise in frustration. So you've got 1 week, plus presumably the 2 weekends. I'd put in an island (Santorini is the usual must-see plus transportation options are good) ... Athens ... and then either Delphi (if interest in classic Greece is predominant) or Meteora (monasteries set on pinnacles surrounded by spectacular scenery with wonderful walks). Here's a suggested itinerary:

Saturday - Depart, fly to Munich, take Lufthansa direct flight to Santorini
Sunday - Arrive Santorini mid afternoon. Stay either in Firostefani or Oia. Take in that sunset
Monday - Santorini. Morning - walk the caldera trail ... afternoon - Caldera tour, by yacht
Tuesday - Fly to Athens
Wednesday - Athens
Thursday - Morning train to Meteora (stay in either Kalampaka or Kastriki) - climb to the various monasteries, hike.

Friday - Added day at one of the three locations

Saturday - Afternoon direct train to Athens
Sunday - Fly home

That provides a snapshot of island - classic Greece - mainland, mountains, monasteries. Actually, I'd be tempted to revise the above itinerary and travel go all the way from Santorini to a second location (Meteora ?) then put Athens at the end eliminating a fourth hotel check-in plus getting you back to Athens in plenty of time for that return flight home. You'd miss the direct morning train from Athens that way but connecting in Paleofarsalos should be doable.

9 days is a bit crowded ... by my count you've got 4 of those days as travel days (Saturday, most of Sunday, the transfer day from Santorini to a second location, part of the return day to Athens, the flight home on the second Sunday). So you could just make it Santorini and Athens. But Santorini is a bit tourist-oriented and Athens is a city that some love or hate ... so getting into a town where Greeks actually live (Kalampaka, Kastriki) surrounded by pinnacles and monasteries could be worth the trip up, particularly since the train is fairly scenic.

Or, if your friends are more into beaches and shopping, clubbing (Mykonos) than monasteries an easy trek is Santorini - Naxos - Mykonos - Athens. If taking that option, do not miss Naxos (it provides a glimpse into actual Greek life with spectacular inland roads). Transfers between the islands are easy but make sure that you book a flight from Mykonos to Athens well in advance. Those flights sell out in peak seasons and no way do you have time for a ferry from Mykonos.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
SA all the way - just compare the setting (and climate) of Cape Town and that of Athens ...enough said...

Old 08-30-2018, 04:36 AM

74 posts, read 50,796 times
Hi,
My first preference is always Greece. It is one of my favourite countries to visit.
Thanks.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
If one is interested in wildlife and big skies, SA hand down.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:38 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
You still haven't said when you are going.... January or July? That makes a difference in the calculation here, Europe vs SA.

Right now.... the Greek economy is struggling so that means the Dollar will go very far compared to other European countries. So you will definitely get a greater bang for your buck there (as well as a much shorter flight time). But the word is out so there is a very heavy tourist crowd there especially during peak times.

What about Morocco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel