Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:16 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about the grand canyon ? yellow stone ? Alaska yeah it might be cold but you could still see a lot of stuff like the glaciers etc ….I rarely travel during the holidays because it seems that most places are crowded during the holidays .
Alaska will have very short days during Thanksgiving week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
San Diego is a great place in November and an easy flight for you. The Zoo is great and Balboa Park. Beaches are great for walks and riding bikes. Wonderful family getaway!
No it's not. It's real hot and humid here right now. (just kidding)

Thanksgiving is great in San Diego. No crowded beaches and the weather is perfect. Some of the beach hotels hold Thanksgiving feasts right on the beach. There's always lots to do in San Diego. Stop by the San Diego forum for some good vacation ideas.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about the grand canyon ? yellow stone ? Alaska yeah it might be cold but you could still see a lot of stuff like the glaciers etc ….I rarely travel during the holidays because it seems that most places are crowded during the holidays .
Winter travel in the Yellowstone area is dicey at best and unless you are used to driving in Winter conditions I wouldn't recommend it! But Yellowstone is amazing!

I have something different for you. It's relatively close, not expensive, and the kids get to play in dirt.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/p...nds-state-park

I would love to go diamond hunting for a few days!

Old 08-30-2018, 02:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Family road trip.

Maybe Mammoth caves (always the same temperature in the caves any time of year. Stay in the old wigwam motel in cave city. Kids will love it.

Skiing in Colorado or Utah or Idaho. Most ski resorts have lots of young family activities available. Even if you do not ski at all, you can take lessons together, or there it a ton of other fun stuff you can do. Make scure there is snow first.

If you go to Utah, stop for a day or two in Zion Canyon. There is all levels of hiking and climbing there and it is beautiful and awesome. Also poke into Bryce canyon. It is really pretty there, but not as varied as Zion.

There is a ghost town you can stay in in Montana just outside of Yellowstone. If there is snow, you can rent snowmobiles and go through Yellowstone. or int he Beartooth highway area. Really beautiful.

Not sure if that is off season, but if it is, Carribean cruises can be dirt cheap. My brother took his family (I think in December). It cost about $250 a day for three people and they had a great time.

You could spend a week in San Diego. Legoland, Zoo, Wild Animal park, Sea World, La Jolla beach where you can walk right up to sea lions (people pet them but it is dumb, they bite), and there is a cool sea cave. You can rent a small sailboat at Lowes resort on Coronado island and sail in the bay with US navy vessels. Probably other places to rent a sailboat, it that is just the one I know of. The hotel Del Coronado is spectacular and has the best grilled cheese sandwiches in creation - and a great beach. While there you can take a fishing charter out of Oceanside (there are probably others closer, that is just the one I know of). Your kids are pretty much guaranteed to catch at least some mackerel and you may see whales and dolphins too. you could take a run out to Catalina Island which is more pleasant than exciting but still fun. Snorkeling in fisherman's cove is cool if you bring toast in zip lock bags. When you release it underwater, fish swarm you.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:29 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Since Thanksgiving is one of the busiest (if not THE busiest) air travel period during the year, I'm not surprised you're finding the fares are high.
It really depends on where you're going. Colder destinations are actually cheaper in late fall/winter, as long as you don't mind the cold and rain, that is.

Europe is cheap in winter, including thanksgiving. It's probably cheaper to fly to London than to Caribbean since everyone wants to escape the cold. I personally love Europe in winter, less crowd, the winter is not as bad as US Northeast winter so I could walk all day without the sticky humidity and stinky sweat. Even the rain doesn't bother me (just pack a rain coat).

I was going to suggest Europe to the OP, before I saw the ages of her kids. But south of Spain is still a good choice. Mild winter (50F - 65F) with plenty of things to do, and good food.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:43 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Sorry if this seems presumptuous - I very well may have misunderstood your previous post - but Grand Cayman (not "Grand Carmen") is an island in the Caribbean...
I know where it is (although I’ve not visited it yet). Blame my iPad’s autocorrect for “Carmen.” . (Ever notice that you only discover autocorrect errors only after the time interval for editing posts is closed?)

Old 08-30-2018, 03:44 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Winter travel in the Yellowstone area is dicey at best and unless you are used to driving in Winter conditions I wouldn't recommend it! But Yellowstone is amazing!

I have something different for you. It's relatively close, not expensive, and the kids get to play in dirt.

https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/p...nds-state-park

I would love to go diamond hunting for a few days!
Or Arkansas quartz crystal collecting, as I suggested several posts back in this thread. Better chance of finding something pretty and sparkly!

Arkansas does have some great state parks.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
Our 15th anniversary is falling during the thanksgiving holidays . I need some vacation spot ideas . We have 2 kids 9 year old , 2 1/2 year old and we live in Houston Texas .
We have already been to Cancun last year , so don’t want to repeat that place .
Why not farm the kids out for a week and take a real grown up vacation for your ANNIVERSARY?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Default no guarantees, but...

...it's possible you could find an affordable fare and not-too-crowded airports, if you choose your travel day carefully... on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) afternoon/evening, most people will already be at their destinations... on Friday they're apt to be hanging out, watching football, etc... not back on the plane yet. Those might be windows of opportunity.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:33 PM

189 posts, read 166,148 times
We've flown on Thanksgiving day for years and it used to be awesome. Flights not crowded, less expensive, traffic not bad to the airport. However, in recent years we have noticed that our flights are now fully booked and more costly. YMMV depending on location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel