Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,015,255 times

Advertisements

Jack Daniels runs a massive tour operation. They get it.

But I think for most companies, they see only the cost, not the public relations benefit. It's just one of the many things bean counters will cut because it's easy to count the beans on the cost side of the ledger but very difficult to count the beans on the benefit side. It takes a really smart executive to understand that the most important numbers are unknown and unknowable -- the multiplier effect of customer service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,867,573 times
I love to do tours of factories and facilities. I don't even mind paying for it, but of course free is much better. We've done the big breweries and distilleries, the mints and money printing plants, and of course Ben & Jerry's (a real disappointment and way too much to pay for what you get). Some free ones were very interesting, such as a couple of cheese plants and a saki brewery. We also took a tour of a granite cutting facility and the quarry.

I did a couple of pharmaceutical plant tours several years ago, but I don't think they offer them any longer. That was interesting to see how they made pills and tablets and bottled/packaged items.

Many, many years ago, I took a tour of the isle of Murano and the glass-blowing operations. Not only was the boat ride and the tour free, they gave you a free lunch to boot, I guess in the hopes you'd buy something expensive (as a poor back-packer, that was out of the question.....)

Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 PM

170 posts, read 316,188 times
Tour buses are pretty popular in other places, specially in Asia. If you notice, they have buses in the US tourist areas targeted with Asian populations.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,588,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Many companies that do these tours have taken them out of the "factory" and set them in artificial environments; i.e. Hershey's Chocolate World, etc.

I have no interest in a mock up facility. I'd like to see the real thing.
I agree.

I went through the Word of Coke, and it was the artificial thing.

I also went through the Tabasco plant in Louisiana, and it truly was the real thing. And very cool.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,378,875 times
I don't know about the other ones--but Boeing still has tours.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:37 AM

13,696 posts, read 12,403,249 times
Breweries (including macrobreweries) and distilleries offer tours.

Otherwise, I don't think that it holds the interest of people like it used to.

And things like trade secrets.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
My father has a travel book from the '70s called Discover U.S.A, of which an important section of each chapter in the listings are tour information for various industrial and companies that allowed tours of facilities.

...behind-the-scenes tours of major companies like Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Tesla, it would certainly be interesting for a first-person, hands-on look, but those companies don't offer tours. But main question is, why aren't tours of companies as prominent as they once were?
Nothing happening
Worker bees are HISTORY! and dying fast..
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

as mentioned... "cube farms" / pencil pushers (now) is a 'pretty lame' visit compared to (Previous) monster factory machines throwing flames / chips / steam, stamping metal...

Would be like Builder Bob, sitting in front of his computer designing a home, them HIRING it 100% completed for him (while he still sits at his computer).

Different era, even the 'simulated' factories now 'promoted' in the tours is NOT what is going on behind the walls... the ex-factory floor is now a 'Cube Farm' with people punching keyboards, outsourcing the manufacturing.

There are still a few tours / interesting manufacturing processes going on in USA. but getting less.

I toured a Spinning and Woolen Mill in Wales that was superb. The owner was over age 80, and the youngest employee that knew how to keep the place running was age 68. I'm glad I got to see it!
https://www.t-w-m.co.uk/
Elvet Woollen Mill, Craft Centre, Carmarthenshire, Wales
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-41240073

BTW: if into Woolen Mills, Pendleton Woolen Mills still offers plant tours in Pendleton Oregon and Washougal, WA. (different operations, both are interesting)
* How Many sheared sheep does it take to have enough wool to make a woolen blanket ?

I used to host tours of the factory I was an apprentice...
Was very fun and interesting and a lot going on (sheetmetal, machining, plastic molding, IC manufacturing, painting... later robotic assembly and welding, laser machining, now 3D printing...)

University programs and AF Academy classes were them most engaging guests.

Last edited by Yac; 09-24-2018 at 01:00 AM..

Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,435,896 times
In my area there are at least 40 companies that carry tours. They want consumers to buy at the end of it.
One company that is world reknown has made millions off the public wishing to create their own treats while capturing on average 50$ per person to have a $10 an hour tour guide. They are not losing a penny.
From manufacturing to dairy farms...it's been a consistent Flux of ppl curious of 'how's that made'.

A local winery (though I do not drink) does allow a stomp the grapes vat...it's actually a fun interactive part of the tour. Then afterwards folks can have a lite lunch with a choice of wine or tea. The chamber music was done by a local group so that made it pleasant.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,957,885 times
"But main question is, why aren't tours of companies as prominent as they once were?"

1. children and their parents. a local dairy stopped tours after children threw rocks at the cows (among other indiscretions).
2. social media. video of a tour is uncontrolled exposure of a structured environment with competitive advantages exposed.
3. quarterly earnings. don't care about next year. cut out the "fat"....but the "fat" is the best-tasting part that's remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel