Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:34 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times

Advertisements

Back in the day 20 years ago when I didn't have any money and I was driving around the U.S. by myself, and especially between Albuquerque and Austin at that time, there wasn't any special danger at rest stops, and I would sleep all the time in those in my car.

I don't know if anything's changed? I'd be suprised if it wasn't just as safe as it was back then, but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Florida has armed guards at most public rest stops for the overnight hours and legally allows for 2-3 naps for drowsy drivers there.
Wow, if this is true, then it means there definitely are places where it's not safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 AM

168 posts, read 165,393 times
Did I miss it somewhere up-thread? No one has mentioned the world-famous urban campground: WalMart. Unless this has changed in the past year or two, WalMart parking lots have long housed the itinerant and house-less. They aren't always on the interstate, but many are open 24 hours, with plenty of foot traffic, restrooms, food. My most recent trip in the United States, across the South, there were motorhomes in virtually every parking lot. (That's not a comment about the South; that's just where I was.)

Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times
I hope that you’ll be doing this in cooler weather because even if you just crack your windows a little, you’ll only hear the interstate. I don’t think there are people going from rest area to rest area and preying on people, but I would park underneath a street light and try to park closer to the building.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
Did I miss it somewhere up-thread? No one has mentioned the world-famous urban campground: WalMart. Unless this has changed in the past year or two, WalMart parking lots have long housed the itinerant and house-less. They aren't always on the interstate, but many are open 24 hours, with plenty of foot traffic, restrooms, food. My most recent trip in the United States, across the South, there were motorhomes in virtually every parking lot. (That's not a comment about the South; that's just where I was.)

Not all Walmarts allow overnight parking, so I wouldn't count on being able to stop at a Walmart unless you know in advance that they allow it at that location.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
The large truck stops are your best bet and it isn't because I am a retired trucker. My wife and I spent a month on the road traveling from one National Park to another. We never booked a room in advance and, if we could not find one with the right rates; we simply slept in a truck stop parking lot. What is especially great about their parking lots is truckers keep an eye out for trouble and are quick to report any problems. They have a lot of money invested in their rigs and they also cannot afford unwanted down time. But, besides security, they have food and many have very reasonable showers. Sometimes you can even get a 'free' shower. Many dedicated drivers will not shower at the truck stops because we would shower at our terminals when we arrived. Many truck stops gave tickets for free showers when we bought so much fuel and we would simply stick those tickets on the truck stop bulletin boards. Most of their showers are clean and also have bathroom facilities in the same room. So, when we slept in the parking lot all night, we could simply take a shower and catch breakfast.

We always parked where we could be seen by the restaurant or fuel island. But we only have good experiences to share about the truck stops. Most truckers we met were friendly and helpful.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not all Walmarts allow overnight parking, so I wouldn't count on being able to stop at a Walmart unless you know in advance that they allow it at that location.
I can't find it now, but I believe there is a website that gives information on which Walmarts allow overnight parking. Or, most are open 24 hours so you could possibly ask an employee at a specific location what is allowed.

I've stayed at a couple of hotels that were even questionable, but I just made sure all my car doors were locked and no valuables were left in the car. Even if it means taking extra suitcases in the hotel with you, better safe than sorry. Never had a problem, but I did get up early to be on the road at 5:00 or 6:00. Hopefully near a convenience store with a pot of coffee brewing!

Old 09-23-2018, 01:38 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
I can't find it now, but I believe there is a website that gives information on which Walmarts allow overnight parking. Or, most are open 24 hours so you could possibly ask an employee at a specific location what is allowed.

http://www.rvparky.com

Old 09-23-2018, 03:44 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I've spent a lot of time at truck stops (used to RV full-time with my family), and we never experienced a problem. That said, I'll be in an SUV vs. a 40-foot RV, so definitely less protected.
Not a major problem, except a little lost [interrupted] sleep when someone came a knocking upon the door of our RV.
I've heard they're called "lounge lizards" [LL]. Mr C answered the knock. Ha, ha. I can't remember now how exactly the conversation went, as it's been years. LL suggested then a 3-way. It ended with the door being closed and LL probably going to the next vehicle. That was an interesting night.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,530,189 times
I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thank you for your contribution. I'm heading out early in the morning, so I guess we'll see how it goes. I may not need to stop at all, as I've driven the trip many times. I just like to have my ducks in a row if it's a possibility. Like someone said upthread, as I get older, the creature comforts mean more and more.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:17 PM

168 posts, read 165,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Thanks, I've been out of the States too long, I guess. Thanks too to VTSnowbird for the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel