Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times

Advertisements

I've never done anything more than restroom stops at the interstate rest areas. I'm planning a 12-hour drive and don't want to book a hotel if I don't have to. Is it reasonable to expect I'd be okay taking a 2-3 hour nap in my car at a rest area, or should I plan on a hotel? Would it matter if I chose to stop in daylight vs. nighttime hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM

496 posts, read 411,743 times
I think this depends on the rest area. Some are quite isolated with very little traffic. I would hesitate to nap at one of those. A busy, well lit rest area is another story and should be safe enough.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM

I'd overlooked those large travel centers and truck stops as an option, so I may plan my route with those in mind instead of relying on rest areas.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:27 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I'd overlooked those large travel centers and truck stops as an option, so I may plan my route with those in mind instead of relying on rest areas.

Rest areas are just too isolated at night...be SAFE and stay at a hotel. I imagine there are those that prey on truckers and others who sleep overnight in one of those places. You just can't trust people like years ago. There might be prostitutes that harass you or someone itching to rob you. Sorry, but it's not safe. IMO.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM

I've spent a lot of time at truck stops (used to RV full-time with my family), and we never experienced a problem. That said, I'll be in an SUV vs. a 40-foot RV, so definitely less protected.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Is it reasonable to expect I'd be okay taking a 2-3 hour nap in my car at a rest area
Yes it is. Day or night.

Quote:
...or should I plan on a hotel?
12hrs is a lot of driving especially if you don't do it a lot.
So yeah, there is no shame in stopping somewhere en route.

I'd recommend somewhere close to the interstate and about 20 miles OUTSIDE of a city.
Costs less and probably LESS risky than closer to the city.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:25 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
I've never done anything more than restroom stops at the interstate rest areas. I'm planning a 12-hour drive and don't want to book a hotel if I don't have to. Is it reasonable to expect I'd be okay taking a 2-3 hour nap in my car at a rest area, or should I plan on a hotel? Would it matter if I chose to stop in daylight vs. nighttime hours?
What worries me about being in a car in a rest area is that unless the windows are covered, people can look in and see you.

Sometimes state police cruise through to see if everything's OK but you can't depend on that.

I travel in my van now, with drapes for the front and side windows and day/night shades in the back, so no one can see in. If I absolutely had to go by car I'd get one of those sun shades for the windshield and hang towels in the other windows. The bonus of doing that is I could park directly under one of the lights without it keeping me awake.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:

Big problem is the lack of any good food or beverage at these locations. No place to get a good meal. Not even a good cup of coffee. I usually stop at a hotel with a Cracker Barrell nearby. For breakfast, most hotels offer a nice assortment of fresh items.

I don't know about you but the older I get there is nothing like a nice bed, shower & bathroom. Maybe you need to remember to bring your own pillow.

For a 12 hour trip you need to assess where you are in the 8 hour range to not fight a setting sun, bad traffic, a big city or other factors.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I don't feel safe at rest areas. I always stop at a McDonald's or other fast food place. There are more people around - including the staff and customers. They're a safer place to use the restroom and take a nap in their parking lots.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
I have slept at rest areas when making miles and could not find a decent, reasonably priced motel or campground that was convenient. However, I would not *plan* on doing so. Rest areas just aren’t that restful; they are noisy.

Taking a nap during the day should not be dangerous, but it depends on what rest stop it is.

As for sleeping overnight, choose the stop even more carefully. First of all, it is illegal to sleep in your car along roads in some states. Second, some of them are near cities with high crime. I would not sleep at any of those.

The best stops actually provide a separate parking area signed for overnight rests. I have seen a few of these—not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel