Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:33 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times

Advertisements

I'd like to take my 2 teens on an international trip for February break. I've narrowed it down to two cities, Dublin, Ireland or Mexico City MX. I can score great airfare on both, and hotels seem well within budget. We like museums, cool dining, historical sites, people watching, shopping for local crafts, and just strolling around and soaking up the atmosphere of a place we have never been before. I don't think I will rent a car. We will probably do one or two day trips outside either city, most likely on a bus tour or the like. I realize the two places are pretty different. Weather isn't too much of a concern. We live in New England, so either location will probably be better than what's at home. I'd like to make the decision soon, before flight prices go up. Any advice would be appreciated. Would Dublin or Mexico city be a better choice for a mom and two teens (15 & 16)?

p.s. the kids are excited to go to either place, and they are leaving it up to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I'd take Mexico City. Between the food, museums and Teotihuacan being right there. Dublin is great, and I've been, but it's more fun when you can drink.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:35 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
I've also been to both and would heavily recommend Mexico City. Dublin is great as an Old World European city but the variety of things that would interest teens makes Mexico City the better choice, IMO. Teotihuacan alone would be enough to make the decision for me. My teens think the best thing about Mexico are the ruins. Add the Basilica de Guadalupe, the floating gardens of Xochimilco, Chapultepec, the museums and it's got a lot more going on than Dublin. Plenty of interesting day trips such as Taxco, Puebla, Cholula, etc. Weather will be great in Mexico City and abysmal in Dublin in February.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
February weather in Dublin will suck for some/most of the time... think sideways cold rain. Mexico City not so much.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:33 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
February weather in Dublin will suck for some/most of the time... think sideways cold rain. Mexico City not so much.
I've been to Dublin. It's a nice city with some interesting attractions/museums. Many of them are fascinating to those interested in literature. If one doesn't have a literary bent, they are dull. I also think some of the best things about Dublin can only be fully enjoyed by those who are old enough to drink.

I've never been to Mexico City. But based on weather alone, in February, it's a better choice.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:40 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Plus, the days in Dublin will be very short in February. The OP will have more hours of daylight to do things in Mexico City.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times
Mexico City is bigger and more interesting than Dublin. Also, in February weather wise Mexico is much better.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
Thank you for all of the replies so far. I’m leaning heavily toward Mexico City. For the weather, food, and interesting day trips. My teens can’t drink of course, but I know they will love th food offerings in Mexico. We have been to London, Paris, Amsterdam and Cancun. I think Mexico City will be a very different experience. I’d love to hear more about those floating gardens. That sounds beauful.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Dublin is nice in May (only in May / early June) Less crowds,

Lots of flowers, blooming trees, long days.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:15 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Dublin is nice in May (only in May / early June) Less crowds,

Lots of flowers, blooming trees, long days.
I would say Spring time is the best time to visit most European countries.

For OP I would pick Mexico, many of the smaller tourist attractions in Ireland, close for the winter, & as was previously noted, Dublin will have very short days, that time of year, getting dark early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel