Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Miami seems to be the best place to be in the contiguous U.S during winter months, but the cost seems to be prohibitive. Any cheaper destinations to recommend?

Arizona is another place I'm considering because there'a nonstop flight from where I live to Phoenix. I haven't figured out things to do In Arizona apart from seeing red rocks and deserts.

I have a school aged child and so we're beholden to the academic calendar. Every February she has a week off and we've been seeking out places that are both substantially warmer than the NYC area but not cost prohibitive. This usually ends up meaning that the Caribbean and Miami are out because they're too expensive, but in recent years we've had great success with places that are generally in the 60's to 70's and sunny, which is perfect for walking around albeit not beach weather. We did San Antonio and Austin one year; last year we did Sedona and Scottsdale with a day trip to the Grand Canyon, and we're booked this February for Savannah and Charleston. Again, if you're looking to sit on a beach none of these will work, but it's been a pretty good winter break for us every year without breaking the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Based on my experience, I feel NYC is slightly safer than Milan but not as safe as Barcelona.

I think the State Department does a pretty impressive job evaluating the safety of Mexico region by region. I wish they could do the same for European countries too. For instance, Paris - Level 4 Do not travel! Barcelona - Level 2 exercise increased cautions. Segovia - Level 1 exercise normal cautions.
I can't make up my mind if this is serious or 'tongue in cheek' lol

Old 10-11-2018, 02:08 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
I have never been to Mexico, so I don't really know how safe it is. Mexico City doesn't have a very good reputation, I feel it's similar to Chicago based on trip reports online.

Germany, Italy Denmark, and the UK are all level 2 according to travel advisory.

Depends on your level of comfort and awareness. All huge cities are somehow unsafe, at least some areas. Use common sense and nothing will happen. Educate yourself about the area, the customs and behave accordingly.

The level 2 for European cities is laughable. I thavel here every year, now here since August, enjoying myself at day and night, and everywhere feels quiet and peaceful. Very good police presence everywhere.
If you don't speak the language, behave like a nervous wreck, constantly look over your shoulders, and show all other signs of an anxious, inexperienced tourist - you might look like an easy prey, but I didn't witness anything.
The only danger to consider is a terrorist attack, but they usually aim in a crowd. The odds are still very, very slim, though.

So no, I travel where I want (except warzones and known dangerous places like Somalia, El Salvador or such) and live my life the best I can.
Life it's too short to worry about everything. If you live in the US, the odds of being shot by a crazy mass shooter are much higher...

Old 10-11-2018, 02:21 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
I think the State Department does a pretty impressive job evaluating the safety of Mexico region by region. I wish they could do the same for European countries too. For instance, Paris - Level 4 Do not travel! Barcelona - Level 2 exercise increased cautions. Segovia - Level 1 exercise normal cautions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I can't make up my mind if this is serious or 'tongue in cheek' lol
Definitely a lol!
OP where did you travel, so far. Outside the US?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:33 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I moved to Mexico - to an area outside of Guadalajara (Ajijic) in 1999/2000, and personally met several people who had been mugged. Home invasions were common and never reported in the news. I moved back in less than one year.
Ajijic is safe, crime in that area against tourists is very unusual. If anything it's too sanitized, you walk into a cafe there and it's 80% old white retirees who just got back from the Walmart up the street. I get people retiring there for the nice weather and low cost of living, but as a place to visit as a tourist in Mexico it doesn't make much sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Chicago is nowhere near as dangerous as Mexico City. Further, Chicago's violent crime problem is concentrated on the south and west sides of the city. Tourists never go there
Crime being concentrated in certain areas is not unique to Chicago. Most tourists and expats in Mexico City are in areas that are pretty safe (Roma, Condessa, Hipodromo, Palanco, etc.) and just as tourists wouldn't go to the south side of Chicago they also aren't going to venturing into the deep barrios of Mexico City. Okay maybe some go to Tepito in the day to see the market but for the most part tourists in CDMX are wandering around in safe touristy areas.

Mexico City does have crime, and sometimes there is crime even in nicer areas. However it's per-capita murder rate is three times lower than Chicago, and before you say "oh that's mainly gangbangers in south side" most of the murders in Mexico City are also criminal versus criminal in areas not frequented by tourists. I'd say the biggest risk for crime in Mexico City is pickpockets on the subway, just like in many touristy cities in Europe. Avoiding the subway goes a long way towards mitigating risk in Mexico City, especially since one can take an Uber across town for about $3. Those express buses they have are often better anyway, andd use the same card as the metro.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of going to a warm place during Thanksgiving. Mexico is budget-friendly, convenient and warm. But most destinations don't appear to be very safe according to the travel advisory.
Despite the big headlines about bodies found in Cancun, it's a safe place for your vacation. So are the other areas along there Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

You want an interesting beach vacation look up Isla Holbox, it's easy to get to from Cancun airport (comfortable bus to the ferry terminal) has beautiful beaches and no motor vehicles around except golf carts. Very laid back place that is quite safe.

Mexico City is safe, and has a gazillion things to see and do.
Querétaro is safe, has a beautiful colonial center.
San Miguel is safe, kind of small to hold interest for long but worth a visit.
Oaxaca is safe, it's a big foodie destination and an easy bus ride from Mexico City.
Cuernavaca is good for nature type stuff, it's got some dicey areas in town though. Fine in el centro.
Guanajuato is safe and a really pretty mountain city.

If you want to go to Pacific side beaches Puerta Vallarta is okay, or if you want something quainter Puerto Escondido. Avoid Acapulco!

And finally Guadalajara is safe, despite being in an area (Jalisco) that has warnings. It's got wonderful weather, friendly folks, a vibrant downtown, and lots of towns nearby to visit like Tequila. It has the nifty aspect of not as many tourists as CDMX, if that's something that turns you off.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Quote:
Miami seems to be the best place to be in the contiguous U.S during winter months, but the cost seems to be prohibitive. Any cheaper destinations to recommend?

Arizona is another place I'm considering because there'a nonstop flight from where I live to Phoenix. I haven't figured out things to do In Arizona apart from seeing red rocks and deserts.
We went to Tampa, FL for Thanksgiving week 2 years ago just because Southwest had a cheap flight. Liked it very much. It’s not Miami but we wore short sleeves all week, if memory serves. Went to the local kids museum (skip), Legoland and Dali museum in St.Petersburg. They have some great state parks nearby, we went to Fort De Soto and Sand Key Park, both had a beach. Had a great time.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
They are useful to pinpoint dangerous areas within a country where you should use common sense. But can be overly shrill'

Last year I felt quite at ease for a week in Hargesa, where they warned me to
  • Draft a will
  • Discuss a plan with loved ones regarding funeral wishes, etc.
  • Leave DNA samples with your medical provider
Everyone was genuinely friendly, honored that I visited Somaliland

Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of going to a warm place during Thanksgiving. Mexico is budget-friendly, convenient and warm. But most destinations don't appear to be very safe according to the travel advisory.
I would say it would depend why the safety advisory had been issued.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:39 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
No. It's called fearmongering. Had my wife and I listened to the warnings, we would not have enjoyed a week in paradise, Mexico. Traveling anywhere whether it be home or abroad just takes some common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel